Combining running with a bit of strength

Options
Hey guys,

I'm now running 3 times a week (5K's usually) and I would like to incorporate some strength exercises at home. I was thinking about doing squats, crunches, sit ups and some arm exercises (flies with legs combined, like 30DS level 2 with 2kg weights).

Now, a few questions:
- How many reps of each would be needed to feel/see any result?
- Could a workout like this make a change in my shape/measurements or is not effective enough?

I'm asking because I read so many different opinions about these exercises, but I really want to strengthen my muscles in a way other than running.

I'm 1.76 cm (5 ft 7), weigh 146 pounds. Goal weight is somewhere around 143 depending on how I think my body looks. It's not as much about the weight anymore. Definitely 143, but then I just want to tone up :)

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Take a look at StrongLifts 5x5 -- however if you are planning on squatting at home you should invest in a proper rack for your own safety. The strength training will help with weight loss and over all toning and core strength and the running will help build endurance.

I'm doing a similar routine where I run, lift following the StrongLifts routine, and add in some stationary cycling as cross training. Walking is also very beneficial and is easy to add in to any daily routine.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I run 2-3x/wk and also do a version of Stronglifts 5x5 2x/wk. Heavy compound lifts might change your shape, it depends on how strong and fit you are now and how much you eat.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    To me, it sounds like you need to look into a solid program to get the changes you're after. What program you choose will depend on what you have available to you and how much time you want to put into it.

Programs that require outside equipment (dumbbells, barbells, cable machines):
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength

Programs that require just your body:
    You are Your Own Gym

I will mention that I was running 5 days a week until I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. My body just can't handle running everyday when I'm lifting heavy because I'm too sore/stiff after the deadlifts day to run. If you plan to keep running just 3 days a week, you can schedule your runs around your lifts so your runs don't suffer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm asking because I read so many different opinions about these exercises, but I really want to strengthen my muscles in a way other than running.

I'd suggest finding a plan and sticking with it, until you're more informed about being able to wing it yourself.

The question boils down to whether you want to invest in equipment or not. What you describe would predominantly be bodyweight work, which does allow development. Personally I use You Are Your Own Gym, alternatives are Body by You from the same author, Convict Conditioning and others. Challenges with bodyweight is that sometimes you're just not strong enough for some moves, and in the advanced stages the progression is more about balance and gymnastic ability than strength.

As a runner one of the advantages I find with bodyweight is that I can build it into a training run. 5K out, resistance training then 5K back home as an example.

If you want to buy kit, then I'd agree that Stronglifts is simple, but does require some infrastructure that you may not have space for. There are others, Rippetoe has a decent reputation as well.

Lots of people will default to recommending that you go out and spend a small fortune on weights, bench, squat rack etc, but in practice you really don't need to.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Programs that require just your body:
    You are Your Own Gym

I will mention that I was running 5 days a week until I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. My body just can't handle running everyday when I'm lifting heavy because I'm too sore/stiff after the deadlifts day to run. If you plan to keep running just 3 days a week, you can schedule your runs around your lifts so your runs don't suffer.

Thanks for the tips of you are your own gym! I will be moving abroad in a few months, so I don't want to invest in equipment I won't be taking with me. I have 2kg dumbells which I will be using.

And yeah, I won't run more than 3 times a week. I'd like to the strength on the days I'm not running.
    [

As a runner one of the advantages I find with bodyweight is that I can build it into a training run. 5K out, resistance training then 5K back home as an example.

That's a great idea actually :)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a half marathon and using this strength program:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

I did SL5x5 prior to starting half marathon training and loved it, but 2 days a week, fewer sets works better with my current training schedule.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yayog, strength unbound, Nerdfitness, convict conditioning ate all good bodyweight resources. Also start bodyweight.
    Don't let people fool you into thinking bodyweight exercises aren't effective.
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Nerd Fitness, he has two great bodyweight work outs, Beginner and Advanced.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • BuddhaMom74
    Options
    SnicciFit wrote: »
    I'm currently training for a half marathon and using this strength program:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/marathon-weight-training-stay-strong-during-marathon-training.html

I did SL5x5 prior to starting half marathon training and loved it, but 2 days a week, fewer sets works better with my current training schedule.

Thanks for that link! I'm currently training for my first half marathon in the spring. This routine provided validation for what I've already been doing!