Need help starting

Options
nairod12
nairod12 Posts: 16 Member
I need help starting on a new healthy lifestyle. Planning meals, prepping meals, planning exercising(no gym) I want to lose weight, but not deprive myself from foods I love. Im 20 years old about 5'3 and I've ate myself to 180 pounds. I basically just snack on junk a lot and buy a lot of fast food. I have lost weight before, I went down to about 150, size 6 pants....but honestly I did that buy not eating enough...barely eating nothing, this lasted about 6 months and I packed the weighr back on twice as much! So, any advice. Anyone want to help me get started!

Gladly appreciated :)

(I'm on my phone if the typing is off anywhere)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1. Track everything you eat. EVERYTHING
    2. Weigh and measure your foods so you *know* you're eating the right amount
    3. Stick to a calorie deficit
    4. Be patient
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    just start on mfp by logging everything, and i mean everything, that passes your lips.. be it food or drink.. this will give you a great view of how much you are eating. You dont have to cut any one food out of your diet, its all about moderation. I tend to find that now I realise how many calories or fat is in a burger or bar of chocolate, I chose not to have it as I want the weight loss more.
    Work out what your deficit needs to be to lose the weight in the timescales you are setting yourself and try to keep within it on a weekly basis... if you feel the need to have some 'junk', do so, but do your best to keep with in your limits... You'll soon see the weight come off if you stick at it.
    good luck
    ps - feel free to add me as a friend if you want any help on the journey.
  • nairod12
    nairod12 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the advice, I'll definitely start logging in my food!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Think of food as fuel, and its purpose to provide nutrition to your body. That does not mean that you have to eat 'clean' or follow some 'diet'. But you need to think of your body's needs first. Make an effort to get enough protein, a variety of fruits and veggies. For me, grains & fat come without 'effort' so once I have protein & f/v I can fill in the rest of my daily calories as I see fit. Which means I can easily eat the foods I want/like - I just take care of needs first.

Go thru MFP and set yourself up for a reasonable goal of 1 pound per week. I know instinct is to for FAST but you want sustainable. You learned before fast and sustainable don't always work together. So that's why I suggest 1 pound a week. At the same time find some activities you enjoy doing. You don't need a gym. Walking is great and free. So is dancing. No special equipment needed! Body weight exercises like squats, lunges, etc. are also free.
  • morgiee_lynne
    morgiee_lynne Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan, plan. The more you plan the easier it is. Pick a day over the weekend to plan everything that way when you get busy during the week you don't have to think about your food or exercise. It will get easier with practice, but if you need any advice I'd be glad to help :)
  • a2015grad
    a2015grad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I usually just plan my meals in advance to make sure I am not overeating or undereating.