Fiber- Does Anyone Get Enough?

Options
I consistently do NOT get enough fiber in my diet. I know I can do better with my food planning to help but also considering using a supplement . What is your fiber goal, how do you eat/ingest enough?

Replies

• TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My goal is 20g/day which I think is the recommended minimum. If I don't hit that goal, I'm generally within a few grams of it. Lots of fruits and veggies (especially the green ones) help, plus beans are usually what get me there.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    my minimum goal is the MFP default of like 25g or something, and I reach that most of the time but of course it increases with added exercise so I don't always hit the grand total. I try to get as much as I can through food but I do supplement with a Benefiber generic (the Up & Up Target brand - it's unflavored and non-thickening). I put 2 servings, 7 grams, in my morning coffee/tea (or if I skip the coffee then I put it in something later in the day).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most days yes. Some days way more. Lots of vegetables, some fruits. Some whole grains.
    And if I'm in a pinch, a Quest bar (which has a lot).
    My breakfast had 14.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I didn't get enough fiber, but I do now! My goal is 20-25. I don't raise that when MFP does. I don't need more than 25 because I exercised.

My biggest fiber helpers, on a regular basis, are:

Raisin Bran
    Raspberries
    Fiber One bars - the strawberry streusel (OMG, so good!)

Veggie Burgers, veggies (especially beans) are helpful, too. Peanuts a little. Fruit a little.

If you can find a breakfast cereal with a good fiber amount that you like, it's really helpful. Even Cheerios have some fiber - not like Raisin Bran (!), but I think you get 4 from a bowl of Cheerios.

I feel better (less bloated, especially) since I started with the fiber. I'm more full and things...(poopies)...move along quite nicely (much better than before!!) Once I decided to raise it, it was really easy to do.

If you increase, do it slowly, so you don't bloat up and fart a lot. Also, be sure to drink your water every day. :)
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My poor body tends to run constipated, and has all my life, which has left me with diverticulosis and I've suffered from diverticulitis 3 times already. So, now I strive very hard to achieve a MINIMUM of 40 grams of fiber per day, and aim for 50 grams. Anything less than 40, despite drinking a minimum of 144oz of fluids a day, and I have troubles.

Eating like that means every breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with lots of fiber-filled fruits, which adds up to at least 10 grams of fiber. Lunches for me are sandwiches made with high fiber bread, or I'll make a pot of soup that has lots of veggies and lentils (or beans) that gives me around 10 grams of fiber per cup. I don't tend to add meat to these soups, so they are low calorie. I try to serve at least 2 veggies with dinner at night (I cook for my family the way I eat--I'm not a special order cook. LOL) and that helps me fill out my fiber goals. When I'm short on fiber, I'll make a slice or two of that high fiber bread into toast, or have a Fiber One chewy bar (9 grams of fiber).

When I eat like that, I feel great, things move along, and my doctor is very happy with my blood fat levels. No more cholesterol meds!! Of course, that was combined with my regular exercise and consequent weight loss.

Good luck to you, OP!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue but then again I really like lentils & beans. Lots of veggies are good for fiber as well, and whole wheat bread/pasta. Just make sure you increase slowly, drink plenty of water and keep an eye on fat. If I have too much fiber and too little fat it'll stop things up so I make a point of eating some fat with my high fiber foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I get plenty in my diet. Veggies, fruit, nuts, avocados, oats and other whole grains, legumes and lentils, etc...
  • smurlene
    Options
    I eat on average 65 grams of fiber per day. My sources: fruits, veg, nuts, oats, beans.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    I also have a default goal of 25g of fiber. I enjoy greens almost daily now but not so big on fruit. My "cycle" for a lifetime already has been constipation/bloating along with my unhealthy intake of sugar and carbs and not enough water. Since taking control of my consumption I've mostly reached my 8 glasses of water each day, eliminated adding white sugar and consistently stay under my carbs and overall I'm under on my food sugars in an average week. I've been able to notice a better bloat/relief cycle but still not "going" every day although my protein intake is generally right on or under goal. I will try Raisin Bran- shall I pick out the raisins? I'm willing to try Benefibre or something like it...votes?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There is heart disease in my family so fiber is something I tend to focus on. Yes, you can get enough fiber if you're looking out for it and yes, it improves how I feel on a day to day basis. The more you start looking to add it into your diet, the easier it gets.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    I also have a default goal of 25g of fiber. I enjoy greens almost daily now but not so big on fruit. My "cycle" for a lifetime already has been constipation/bloating along with my unhealthy intake of sugar and carbs and not enough water. Since taking control of my consumption I've mostly reached my 8 glasses of water each day, eliminated adding white sugar and consistently stay under my carbs and overall I'm under on my food sugars in an average week. I've been able to notice a better bloat/relief cycle but still not "going" every day although my protein intake is generally right on or under goal. I will try Raisin Bran- shall I pick out the raisins? I'm willing to try Benefibre or something like it...votes?
    If you don't like raisins, get some other high-fiber cereal. I love raisins to death, so I chose Raisin Bran, but there are other cereals that are as good or better for you!

I'm loving this thread. Good fiber ideas are always welcome in my world. :)
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    TinaBaily wrote: »
    My poor body tends to run constipated, and has all my life, which has left me with diverticulosis and I've suffered from diverticulitis 3 times already. So, now I strive very hard to achieve a MINIMUM of 40 grams of fiber per day, and aim for 50 grams. Anything less than 40, despite drinking a minimum of 144oz of fluids a day, and I have troubles.

Eating like that means every breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with lots of fiber-filled fruits, which adds up to at least 10 grams of fiber. Lunches for me are sandwiches made with high fiber bread, or I'll make a pot of soup that has lots of veggies and lentils (or beans) that gives me around 10 grams of fiber per cup. I don't tend to add meat to these soups, so they are low calorie. I try to serve at least 2 veggies with dinner at night (I cook for my family the way I eat--I'm not a special order cook. LOL) and that helps me fill out my fiber goals. When I'm short on fiber, I'll make a slice or two of that high fiber bread into toast, or have a Fiber One chewy bar (9 grams of fiber).

When I eat like that, I feel great, things move along, and my doctor is very happy with my blood fat levels. No more cholesterol meds!! Of course, that was combined with my regular exercise and consequent weight loss.

Good luck to you, OP!

^^this
    I strive for 30 grams daily ever since a frightening diverticulitis attack (right after I got healthy and met my weight loss goal!) and years of problems. Fiber One cereals (the chocolate one makes a yummy crunchy snack!) and bars are good. I take a supplement as well as veggies/beans/greens/whole wheat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mine is 25, and I usually get about that or more, mostly from fruits and vegetables. I exceed it significantly if I eat beans or a Quest bar. (I should eat more beans, probably, but more because I'd like to eat more non-animal protein than for the fiber.)
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is something I struggle with every day. My goal is 40g a day but I rarely meet it. I've been trying to find ways to up the fiber each day so I'm thankful for this thread! I will definitely start using some of these ideas. FYI - be careful on the Benefiber - it can cause serious stomach upset if you take more than one serving a day at the beginning - been there, done that and it wasn't fun :#
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options

If you don't like raisins, get some other high-fiber cereal. I love raisins to death, so I chose Raisin Bran, but there are other cereals that are as good or better for you!

I'm loving this thread. Good fiber ideas are always welcome in my world. :)[/quote]

..Oh I love the raisins in Raisin Bran, but the sugars are quite high and don't allow me a sweet after dinner, which is usually two cookies to reward myself for a good day-and still under my goals :) My friend has warned me against All Bran Buds, but I may try a sprinkle on a day off from work ;)
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    dacspace wrote: »
    This is something I struggle with every day. My goal is 40g a day but I rarely meet it. I've been trying to find ways to up the fiber each day so I'm thankful for this thread! I will definitely start using some of these ideas. FYI - be careful on the Benefiber - it can cause serious stomach upset if you take more than one serving a day at the beginning - been there, done that and it wasn't fun :#

Yes thanks for helping me out with great ideas everyone! I've tried Metamucil but have to admit it was when I was decidedly polluting my body, so what did I expect but suffering volcanic tummy revolt?
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I get plenty of fiber because of Fiber One Brownies. 90 Calories of fiberful chocolate deliciousness.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I snack on chia seeds by the spoonful. I haven't had a problem with it....
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I just use triple power organic powder with my morning shake and take gummies at night. With mid day veggies I'm about 30gms per day.
    Make sure what ever you decide to use isn't wheat based, that can cause cramps and upset stomach.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I typically get plenty--anywhere from 30-70g...but then sometimes I eat a whole steamable bag of broccoli at one sitting (sometimes a couple of times a day!), a whole bag of lettuce in a salad, and crazy amount of veggies in general.