Best bread for sandwiches?

Options
I love turkey and chicken sandwiches. I usually eat them "dry" with just veggies, even when I wasn't on a diet. But now that I'm looking to eat healthier, I'm at as loss as to which bread would be the best to buy.

I'm looking for whole grain, low calories. Nutritious and filling.

I've heard that Country Kitchen's Light Whole Wheat Bread is really good, but I can't find where to buy it anywhere. I don't live near a Whole Foods or anything, so I'd have to venture out a bit from the house... But at 35 calories a slice, it seems like a good move. And can anyone testify for the taste?

And another popular one I've read about is Sara Lee's Wheat Bread, and it's 45 calories a slice but isn't whole wheat, it appears to just be colored white bread. This brand seems a lot easier to find and for some reason a lot of people like it on MFP. Sara Lee also has a Whole Wheat available, but it's a whopping 150 calories a slice, which just won't do.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    You mean what is the lowest calorie bread, which is quite different from what might be considered the best bread. I wish I could help but I haven't gone down that path....I.m sure someone will be along soon to help.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like healthy life high fiber 100% whole wheat whole grain. I have found it at both Kroger and walmart. It's only 35 calories a slice and I try to stick to open faced sandwiches as much as possible.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Not sure how they stack up nutritionally, or if you have them where you live (I'm guessing US, and I'm UK) but warbuton thins are great...100 calories for a sandwich...Well minus filling. :)
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I can never find a bread that is nutritionally good AND one that I like, so I just started making my own. It's super easy with a bread machine if you're in a hurry!
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Orowheat - Multi-grain Sandwich Thins...or Papa Pita Thinwich - Multi-Grain With Flax Seeds. They're both 100 calories for "2" slices. Saves me from always having to eat open faced when i don't have enough calories for a full sammich.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread. Means I know exactly what goes into it, and it tastes awesome. So easy to make as well, especially with a bread maker, as elis_mama said. On that note, I find HM bread rolls have less calories then loaves... Go figure.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    The sandwich rounds are good. I like the mulit grain best. The one with Italian spices are good for veggie pizza.
    Also like the flat out wraps. Both are low calorie.

I buy multi grain take and bake breads and really like them. They are higher in calories though.

You could do open faced sandwiches also.

I don't eat as much bread as I used to, but I will not live with out it.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You mean what is the lowest calorie bread, which is quite different from what might be considered the best bread. I wish I could help but I haven't gone down that path....I.m sure someone will be along soon to help.

"Best" as in most appropriate, which fits the criteria. I know there's not a "magic bread" that tastes like rays of sunshine, makes me lose weight and is nutritionally mind-blowing as well. "Best" as, in your opinion, a low calorie and tasty bread that isn't nutritional suicide.
  • SwampWitch666
    SwampWitch666 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like healthy life high fiber 100% whole wheat whole grain. I have found it at both Kroger and walmart. It's only 35 calories a slice and I try to stick to open faced sandwiches as much as possible.

I'll be sure to look into that! My parents only really got the standard white bread while I was growing up, so admittedly I'm not too familiar with new brands. I'll definitely check this out, thanks!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For a store-bought, mass-produced product, I like Nature's Own Double Fiber bread for sandwiches. That is what I keep around most of the time. But I really prefer either a good, fresh-baked rye or my homemade whole wheat.

Basically, I weigh the options. When I have really good fixin's, and the bread is just a carrier for the goodness inside, I use Nature's Own. If I want to savor the entire sandwich experience, and the fixin's and bread get equal billing, I use the fresh-baked or homemade.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options

"Best" as in most appropriate, which fits the criteria. I know there's not a "magic bread" that tastes like rays of sunshine, makes me lose weight and is nutritionally mind-blowing as well. "Best" as, in your opinion, a low calorie and tasty bread that isn't nutritional suicide.
    Most of my bread, I make, no bread maker though. The store bought breads I generally go with is from a Company called Stonemill Bakehouse, normally the flax, and about 70 cals a pieces. The other I buy is from a Company called Premiere Moison which is a slices big country style round loaf, very old fashion type bread, dense, airy and chewy, great for sandwiches and especially grilled cheese. I slice or around 50g's is about 120 calories. I buy and make breads I like because I know I'll not have to make changes to it's content, ever.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use Ezekial 4:9 low sodium sprouted grain bread. I don't know if you would consider it low calorie as it's 80 per slice, but I really like it and it's full of healthy grains and fiber. I get it at Whole Foods, not sure if other places carry it, but probably!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like the Ezekiel or the UDI (Both in the freezer section) if I am eating bread. I will also use the smart and delcicious tortilla wraps for sandwiches, Low carb ones
  • mbanister1
    mbanister1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love hungry girl flatbread it's so good if you toast it a bit. It's especially good with BLTs and hamburgers.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Can't really help with brands since I haven't had sandwich in awhile but I think Arnold's(?) was one brand that had a really good multigrain bread. It's the kind with bits of nuts and seeds in it. Really good smooth flavor too. Probably around 80 calories a slice

There's also cinnamon raisin bread which is awesome too (Although I would just eat that as breakfast toast).
  • heatherlovezu
    heatherlovezu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is a bit late but I've tried both the 35 calorie Country Kitchen bread(in white and wheat) and Sara Lee's multigrain 45 calorie bread. The Sara Lee one is usually a lot cheaper(2/$5). You can get the Country Kitchen kind at Sams Clubs 2 loaves for $5 which is the cheapest I've seen. The Sara Lee one is higher in fiber and protein and lower in sodium though. So all up to you. I recommend trying both.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just recently tried the Sara Lee 45 calories a slice multi-grain bread. I didn't like the taste or texture. It was very bland and dry, super dry. I went back to Dave's Killer Bread. I get the Thin's Seed variety which is only 60 calories a slice.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sandwich thins 100cals
    weight watchers malted danish 104 cals per 2 slice.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I really love Brownberry Healthnut bread....it's 90 calories a slice, however the slices are rather large and I used to cut the bread in half and then make a sandwich and it was a good lunch with whatever sides I was having. It's delicious.
  • teecee60
    teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ezekial breads are really good.