Was this dangerous?

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    And to address the OP...:
    bluecat145 wrote:
    Within the last 40 minutes I drank two full 16.9 oz water bottles... I heard it was dangerous to drink too much water. Was two bottles in an hour bad?
    No, not dangerous or bad at all.
    I had an ultrasound a couple weeks ago, & part of the instructions were that by 1 hour before my scheduled time I was to have drunk 1 quart of water (juice, gatoraide, etc.).
    So I got up about 75 min before I was supposed to be there, chugged 2 bottles of water, got dressed, had breakfast, then drove to the hospital.
    I'm still quite alive.
  • Lorri229
    Lorri229 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bluecat145 wrote: »
    Within the last 40 minutes I drank two full 16.9 oz water bottles. I didn't really mean to-- I wasn't paying attention. I heard it was dangerous to drink too much water. Was two bottles in an hour bad?
    No, you should be just fine. Yes, a person can drink too much water and deplete his/her electrolytes but this usually only happens if you drink an excessive amount, like 2 gallons a day.

• amoreamore
    amoreamore Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to those contributors who obviously have better nothing to do aside from patronize you...

Anyway, you'll be fine. It's pretty simple. If you're thirsty, drink. If you're not, don't. You'll only run into problems if you're forcing yourself to drink when you're not thirsty. Even then, it takes quite a bit of overconsumption before you're in any danger.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you can clearly read this post and respond I would say your fine...But this is not a medical site.

Not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but, this seems accurate. There IS such a thing as water intoxication and it CAN be fatal if done enough in the extreme. 2 bottles in an hour where you are feeling no ill effects should not be something to worry about. When you become water intoxicated, you will know it.

• ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree with LoneWolfRunner - thats only 2 cups of water - not even half a litre.
    You are going to be fine - its only if you drink 6 litres of water or over 200 oz of water in a short period of time that you will be water intoxicated. Take a deep breathe and relax. You are not in any danger.
    PS - I have experience in First Aid and know what I'm talking about.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Once for a urine test I drank a gallon and a half of water and 2 12oz diet cokes in less than 45 minutes. I felt nauseous for a bit and mild discomfort for basically the remainder of the day however I lived. I couldn't pee and they were closing so basically it was drink until I popped.
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm only asking because I usually don't drink a lot of water, so two bottles is a lot for me to drink in an hour when it's usually a bottle a day for me. I felt kind of sick. I know I'm being really stupid and paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure. Sorry if I bothered anyone.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I'm only asking because I usually don't drink a lot of water, so two bottles is a lot for me to drink in an hour when it's usually a bottle a day for me. I felt kind of sick. I know I'm being really stupid and paranoid, but I just wanted to make sure. Sorry if I bothered anyone.

You didn't bother anyone, I hope you were reassured. I just don't know enough to give medical advice. Do you feel better now?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hyponatremia (water intoxication) is a rare event. When it does happen, it typically happens to endurance athletes such as marathon runners. This is due to electrolyte depletion after several hours of activity. Water alone doesn't replenish your electrolyte levels. You need some food or a drink that contains sodium to replace the electrolytes.

You had 34oz of water in under 45min. The electrolytes not have been depleted in that short time frame. No need to be alarmed, you're not going to die.

Go have a good pee. You'll be fine.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Wait? Is this serious? We are talking about drinking approximately one liter of water in 40 minutes? How is this even a discussion?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Wait? Is this serious? We are talking about drinking approximately one liter of water in 40 minutes? How is this even a discussion?

Why are you judging everyone? Everyone is different, listen to your bodies

I am not judging "everyone" - I am questioning the hyperbolic panic over a consuming a liter of water. It would take gallons of water to harm someone. Not 1 liter.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No one will willingly drink that much water to get water intoxication. You need to drink gallons upon gallons in a short amount of time.

My brother ended up in hospital after drinking too much water. It does happen.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Water intoxication is when you take in to much water, but I'm sure you'd know if you had. Its when you drink to much, and you pretty much drown your brain or something like that because your skin and the like can no longer hold any extra water. (I cant remember the actual details) It's pretty hard to do if you're not actually trying to accomplish it. If you can inhale four or five gallons really quick, only then should you really be worried. For an hour, that amount? No.

This sounds legit

I actually heard this, apparently the one death ever from Ecstasy was a person who drank so much their brain flooded.
  • jcranston13
    Options
    Drink 10 litres while at work everyday, you gonna make it OP.
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Yes, this.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I hope you mean that's the only water you drink out of bottles normally a day. Or that you're getting a lot of fluid elsewhere, or I'd be concerned more about dehydration than over-hydration. :smile: You should be fine. I usually drink 3 of those on my way home from dance class, which takes about 15 minutes.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    <<<Have been known to chug 1/2 gallon of water immediately following a run. And routinely chug 2-3 bottles of water within 15 minutes of exercise.

Also not afraid to let my body tell me when I need to be careful, not a thread of anonymous people who love to crack on silly questions.