Under so much stress

Options
My mother in law had a 5 bypass today and the next 24 hours are the most critical. Trying to keep under wraps but seem to be slipping a bit and i am in that state where i cant exercise i am just sitting around worrying. dont know any other way of getting out of this i never realized before that i was a emotional eater but very clear to me now, trying to pick up fruit instead of bad things, i think the worst i had today was a gronala bar and a pepperoni stick i know stupid but dont know how to get through this? I think i am only over calories by a bit but still hope this doesent send me down a bad path.

Replies

• praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    My mother in law had a 5 bypass today and the next 24 hours are the most critical. Trying to keep under wraps but seem to be slipping a bit and i am in that state where i cant exercise i am just sitting around worrying. dont know any other way of getting out of this i never realized before that i was a emotional eater but very clear to me now, trying to pick up fruit instead of bad things, i think the worst i had today was a gronala bar and a pepperoni stick i know stupid but dont know how to get through this? I think i am only over calories by a bit but still hope this doesent send me down a bad path.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Prayers are with you and your family... :flowerforyou:

If you want motivation, go visit your mom. My dad had triple by-pass when I was 15. I remember the doctor saying "don't worry, this is routine surgery", my dad responded "maybe for you!"

It was a reality check, but gave our family the reason to change our diet & lifestyle. Your mom is going to be on very strict diet guidelines (salt & cholesterol) and will be required to exercise. Make these changes with her so that she knows she has your support (plus you will meet your goals). I can't think of a better motivator! :flowerforyou:
  • rainysoul
    Options
    Hi-
    I am sorry to hear about your mother in law, my best wishes on that.
    I work in EMS, and let me say I have seen first hand what happens when one does not find out in time they need something like a bypass done... and seen the good that comes when they get the help they need. The first step is done. It was caught before something happened that possibly would have been irreversible. While the next few weeks are going to be a waiting period and very stressful, now more than ever you need to stay strong. We all know the risks that come with being heavy. Heart problems is on the top of that list. I do not know if youre mom in law is heavy, or ever was, but if she is/was at some point, let the lesson she had to learn the hard way, be an eye opener for you.
    Stay healthy.
    Eat smart.
    :heart: Have a happy heart :bigsmile:
    Be strong for you and her.
    You are all in my prayers. Keep in touch.
    :heart: Rainysoul:heart:
  • mitstac17
    mitstac17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My Nana who is 89 years old went thru a triple bi-pass and she made it thru with flying colors. Every time you want to snack on something say a prayer instead...I know that this may sound silly but maybe that will keep your mind off of food. Plus, ariannedavis is right, your mother-in-law is going to go thru diet and lifestyle changes...go thru them with her. Walk with her, diet along with her to encourage her and help her get thru the tough road to recovery!
  • blessedmamma
    Options
    Hi Prarie,

#1. Now is not the time to count calories - unless it makes you feel better. As a matter of fact, a steaming cup of hot chocolate with real milk would probably be very relaxing right now.
    #2. If you're a praying person, now is the time.
    #3. If you're not a praying person, now is a great time to start.
    #4. How about a walk? Have a dog to walk? How about a child? Your husband is probably feeling the same stress. Now would be a good time for you two to take a walk together.
    #5. Have you already cleaned your house from top to bottom? Stress cleaning is usually thought of as a neurotic thing, but it can really be therapeutic.

I've not had any parents to have the surgery, but my grandmother did, and I remember the stress. Your family is in my prayers.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    My prayers and with you and your family. Especially for your mother-in-law. Positive thoughts. You now know and have seen first hand how important healthy choices are. I myself had a massive heart attack at age 40 and had two stents put in my heart. Heredity bad genes unfortunately the cause for me. But diet is so important.

Positive thoughts:flowerforyou:
  • rodeoruss
    Options
    My prayers go out to your and your family and mother in law, I know the stress and all as I went through this with my father 12 years ago.
  • scottishfruitbat
    Options
    Thinking of you at this difficult time. Take care.:heart:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Best wishes to you and yours...I understand the stress...my FIL just passed away and instead of having time to mourn him we are bombarded with "family" memeber asking about his estate...yes SAD!

hang in there and we are all thinking of you!

dd
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope that your MIL does ok. It is not easy to sit and wait. I know that you don't want to undo all of the progress that you've made, but my mom says, "Sometimes life has to be sweet during all the bitter." If you do slip a bit now, don't be hard on yourself. You have to get through this right now. I was there with my dad, almost 9 years ago now! You probably aren't eating nearly as bad as you think you are. :flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was an emotional eater either but I found out this week that I was. My stress came from loss of family pet so it is different than what you are going through but I found myself in the kitchen looking for things to shove in my mouth. So instead of eating unhealthy things I stuffed myself full of good things, bananas, rice cakes etc. I did go over my calories that day but I didn't gain weight.

I hope you MIL is okay. Just try to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I was an emotional eater either but I found out this week that I was. My stress came from loss of family pet so it is different than what you are going through but I found myself in the kitchen looking for things to shove in my mouth. So instead of eating unhealthy things I stuffed myself full of good things, bananas, rice cakes etc. I did go over my calories that day but I didn't gain weight.

I hope you MIL is okay. Just try to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth.
    Losing a family pet isn't that much different. I know when we had to put our boxer down it was the hardest decision ever. Pets become part of the family. Some people don't understand that bond, but I do. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank You so much everyone for all the support , it means a great deal to me. As of this morning my mother in law is doing good, there were a few complications but we think that all is well. As for me i got up this morning, went on treadmill for 15 minutes is better than none i guess and made myself a fruit salad for breakfast. The exercise will come next week my mind just seemed to wander its funny how being away from it for a week is just like starting over for me oh well maybe i will go again later tonight. Thanks again for all the support.Take care
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    15 minutes is STILL 15 minutes. Hope all continues to go well. :flowerforyou:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, fruit salad, what a great choice!

ps. sorry I typed mom, I don't refer to my in-laws as such and forget to type it that way!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You hang in there. We're all here for you. Prayers for your Mother in law too.
    Cowboy