Spinach smoothie

Options

Replies

• Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Today my smoothie has peanut butter with spinach and a banana.

It's different. All I taste is peanut butter, but it's still so green, which makes the whole experience odd.

I have no idea what it will do to my appetite, but I think it might limit it quite a bit.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Keep the ideas coming and if you have the time, post the calories. I sure could use the ideas. I ran out of spinach last night so no smoothie today.
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    Let's see ~545 Kcal - please note I was rushed this morning, and did not weigh it out, but I am pretty close most the time without weighing. And honestly, you might want to lower the peanut butter to 1 tablespoon. It's pretty overpowering. And add ice. It's very liquid.

2 cups of spinach ~ 15Kcal
    2 tbsp of jiffy peanut butter ~ 190Kcal
    1 frozen medium banana ~ 105Kcal
    8 oz of coconut water ~ 45Kcal
    1 cup/8 oz of greek vanilla yogurt ~ 180Kcal
    1 tsp granulated splenda ~ 0Kcal
    1tbsp cocoa powder ~ 10Kcal
  • quietbrunette
    Options
    I mix spinach, blueberries, and mango.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do spinach, peanut butter (Better N'Peanut Butter), banana, greek yogurt, chocolate protein powder, frozen blueberries and flax.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Going to try spinach, chocolate protein powder, apple and banana plus ice. If anyone knows this is a terrible combo, let me know!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Going to try spinach, chocolate protein powder, apple and banana plus ice. If anyone knows this is a terrible combo, let me know!

I made it but without the banana and added some orange juice. It's green and it tastes like chocolate. Not bad 255 calories and again my entire water bottle is full
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love my nutra bullet and green sludge smoothies!
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    I think I am going to skip peanut butter in the morning smoothies as a general rule.

I just can't make my brain be ok with green colored peanut butter flavored drinks.

I wasn't hungry after the smoothie yesterday, but it was just unsettling.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    I think I am going to skip peanut butter in the morning smoothies as a general rule.

I just can't make my brain be ok with green colored peanut butter flavored drinks.

I wasn't hungry after the smoothie yesterday, but it was just unsettling.

haha. I'm not a peanut butter lover so I'm not sure if I want to take that calorie hit for it.
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used an old osterizer for a long time before investing in a refurbished vitamix. The Vitamix or similar blenders will break the cell wall down further, making the drink more easily digestible and smoother. All smoothies are great, though, as long as you drink them right down before they oxidize. Green smoothies are great. If you Google it, you'll find several sites devoted to the benefits of smoothies and full of recipes as well. Check out Green Smoothie Queen and Green Smoothie Girl, among others. I love the mild smoothie spinach makes and it is my fav, but it's a good idea to mix up your greens. This follows the natural pattern in nature, too. Grazing animals, left to their own devices, eat a variety of greens, not just one kind. Each green offers somewhat different elements to the diet. I use kale, mustard, chard, beet greens, and even Romaine lettuce and celery. Parsley is actually a great green for smoothies, very cleansing, if you can manage the texture--it won't smooth out in your regular blender nearly as well as spinach does ;) One trick I picked up was to add a quarter unpeeled lime to cut the green flavor. Works very well and has a great flavor, too, with lots of benefits from the compounds in the lime peel itself. I also played with adding more and more greens and less fruit to the mix as I got used to the green flavor. Eventually I was using a full bag of greens to a half apple and half banana. I, too, freeze my bananas so I can have a cold smoothie without diluting it down with ice. Even though raw greens are a great way to build nutrient density into your diet, some of the raw greens have a naturally occurring element that's not great for the thyroid (can't remember the name of it just now)--one reason to mix it up and not just use spinach. Continuing to include cooked greens in your diet also makes some nutrients available that only become available through cooking, interestingly enough. By the way, if you quarter your apple, you can use fresh and not have to rely on applesauce.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I cut up the apple because we have a ton of them at the house and no one really eats them. I thought they would add sweetness and they do. But I still need a liquid so I still use the orange juice. Might try water next time
  • VictoriaS57
    VictoriaS57 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I've always used water. If you can tolerate the taste of stevia, you might try that for added sweetness, too. Sounds like you're in the midst of an awesome experiment.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a blender I order from HSN (forgot the name) and it's pretty darn powerful!
    My smoothies usually consists of coconut water, kale, mixed frozen tropical fruit, banana and flax seed.
    they have just enough of sweetness to calm my sweet tooth and to fill me up.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Today's smoothie despite the added protein, has not really curbed my lunch hunger. I currently stuffing myself right now.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Today's is spinach, banana, choco protein powder, ice. I note after the foam as gone down, it only fills about 3/4 of the water bottle. Tastes a little better with the banana vs apple.

Note: I've been taking more poops after starting on these things. :#
  • Myrmilt
    Options
    Yeah they will help move things along.

No smoothies for a couple days. I am waiting for my avocados to ripen a little.
  • dawnveltman1
    Options
    About to blend one now with frozen banana and dark cherries, spinach, almond butter...now I just need a liquid.....unsweetened vanilla almond breeze???
  • dawnveltman1
    Options
    About to blend one now with frozen banana and dark cherries, spinach, almond butter...now I just need a liquid.....unsweetened vanilla almond breeze???

Yum! I ended up blending about a cup and a half of spinach with some unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a splash of cranberry juice (100%). Mixed that then added frozen bananas, mango chunks, and dark cherries. Blended after each addition. Added a splash of green goodness, I tsp of almond butter, and a scoop of vanilla whey protein.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    What is the calorie count for that?