Quitting Smoking

Options
Hello there,
I quit smoking a week ago (cold turkey) and I'm doing well. I know a week isn't long but everyone starts somewhere. My issue is that I am now CONSTANTLY hungry. Every time I would smoke I am eating instead. Does anyone who has quit have any tips on ways other than eating to help with cravings?
Cheers :)

Replies

• 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem! That is how I gained all my weight! After I quit, with help from a nicotine patch, everything seemed to taste really good! Tastebuds have changed for the better. I coped by keeping myself busy If you need to snack, get you a celery stick or something healthy.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eating made me crave cigarettes because I liked to smoke after meals. I quit cold turkey in January (I quit once before as well, and started again)
    My weight has always increased whenever I picked up the habit because smoking felt best to me after eating, especially a large meal. So, if I wanted a cigarette, I'd eat, then have my smoke. I'd also drink because it made smoking more enjoyable. Poundage.

If you were the same way, your hunger is likely tied up with your cigarette habit.

I don't really have any advice, except that after a month or so it went away for me. Truck through.

• alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am working on quitting this week and I keep a massive glass of water with me at all times. Any time I want a smoke or eat I drink at least a cup of water. 7 times out of 10, I was just thirsty.
  • rebeccaamy95
    rebeccaamy95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I have tried and failed before but I am very committed this time ( cliche I know). after eating is hard because I would always smoke. The cravings pass when I've snacked so maybe I should try drinking water. Dreading how it goes when I go on a night out...
  • brimingus
    brimingus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey and gained ten pounds! But I love the way I feel now that I've quit! If you're like me, it also helps to keep your hands busy. I put on a necklace and anytime I got a craving, I just messed around with it with my hands. Everyone is different. You can do it!
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! I am attempting to quit again as well. I just smoked my last out of the pack.
  • rebeccaamy95
    Options

brimingus wrote: »
    I went cold turkey and gained ten pounds! But I love the way I feel now that I've quit! If you're like me, it also helps to keep your hands busy. I put on a necklace and anytime I got a craving, I just messed around with it with my hands. Everyone is different. You can do it!

I think this would help me as I found that eating lollies helped as it's something to fiddle with. Thank you and congratulations on quitting :)

• rebeccaamy95
    Options
    JennW130 wrote: »
    Good Luck! I am attempting to quit again as well. I just smoked my last out of the pack.

Good luck to you too

• Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I picked out my worst trigger times to smoke and started painting my house. (interior) My biggest struggle once I got over the initial "itchin for a smoke" is my digestive system go REALLY sluggish and it took forever to sort itself out.
  • MikySchwartz
    Options
    I stopped smoking 6 month ago. I was constantly hungry for the first couple of months. It is normal. I signed up at a local gym and atarted working out even though I did not feel like it at all. I also surf. Last time I stopped and did not work out I gained 48 pounds. I lost the weight and This time I gained only 10 pounds. I tried to eat lots and lots of fruit, dried fruit and nuts. I would say do not worry about losing weight right now, just worry about not gaining a ton of weight. After the first few months I could start losing again! Keep it up!!!! :)
  • rebeccaamy95
    Options
    I stopped smoking 6 month ago. I was constantly hungry for the first couple of months. It is normal. I signed up at a local gym and atarted working out even though I did not feel like it at all. I also surf. Last time I stopped and did not work out I gained 48 pounds. I lost the weight and This time I gained only 10 pounds. I tried to eat lots and lots of fruit, dried fruit and nuts. I would say do not worry about losing weight right now, just worry about not gaining a ton of weight. After the first few months I could start losing again! Keep it up!!!! :)
    Congratulations :)
    I've been going to the gym a few weeks trying to lose weight before christmas and I guess I've chosen the worst time to quit. I'm gonna try to focus on not smoking and not on weight loss.
    I'm glad it's not just me who is going/ been through this :)
  • Milvardea
    Milvardea Posts: 52
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I found stuff to chew on that wasn't so bad for me. A lot of gum, pretzels, and lollipops. Focusing on both losing weight and quitting smoking was too much for me, so I decided to focus on getting rid of the smokes first, then worry about the weight.

I've been smoke-free for more than four months, and I just restarted my healthy eating. I have lost three pounds since I started two weeks ago, and it's massively easier than trying to do both at one time.

But there are ways to combat it, I promise. If the reason you smoked is a tobacco addiction, try grabbing a patch or Nicorete Gum. If you have an oral fixation, find things to chew on or do with your mouth.

Mine addiction was social and repetitive action, so when everyone else went out to smoke, I would go with them, and blow bubbles instead. They made fun of me at first, until I got about three months in and was smoke free without a hiccup. That showed them!

It doesn't seem like it now, but I promise, it will get easier. Even if you gain a little bit of weight, you'll be healthier without smoking than you would skinny and smoking!

Good luck!
  • Milvardea
    Milvardea Posts: 52
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I gained about 15 pounds while quitting as well, but in a weird way, it was totally worth it. It won't be as hard to lose those pounds again now that I don't get out of breath just walking up the stairs from smoker's lung. I'm well on my way to losing back those 15 plus more!

And if I can do it, trust me ANYONE can.
  • rebeccaamy95
    Options
    Thank you knowing that really helps, I've just downloaded an app that is telling me how much money I've saved and that my lungs are healthier already so that's a helpful insentive too :) I normally don't chew gum but I think that will help on nights out so thank you :)
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I gained 45 pounds after I quit (5 yrs.), so I'm not going to be any help, but I at least wanted to say congrats and good luck!
  • rebeccaamy95
    Options
    5 years is impressive though, apparently thats how long it takes to reduce the risk of coronary and lung disease to that of someone who doesn't smoke so well done :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    A lot of those cravings aren't really for food, you know. You want that cigarette in your mouth! One thing that helped me a lot was cutting a plastic drinking straw down to the size of a cigarette and when the cravings got really bad, I'd hold it between my fingers, flick the "ashes" off of it, and "inhale" it like a cigarette. My friends made fun of me and strangers looked at me funny, but I didn't care. It helped!

Hang in there. It DOES get easier! My last smoke was in 1999! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My first week was my hardest. There were moments after that where I'd have a huge surge-craving for a cigarette, but they passed much quicker.

Try exercising.

When you have those, "God, I should be smoking now! I want to be smoking now. What the hell do I do now?" - move. Do jumping jacks. Go for a walk. If you're in the car, squeeze your butt muscles.

Just don't give in. You got past the hardest part, which was the physical addiction. Now, it's all mental. So just retrain your brain to focus on other things.

You can do it. :)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    A lot of those cravings aren't really for food, you know. You want that cigarette in your mouth! One thing that helped me a lot was cutting a plastic drinking straw down to the size of a cigarette and when the cravings got really bad, I'd hold it between my fingers, flick the "ashes" off of it, and "inhale" it like a cigarette. My friends made fun of me and strangers looked at me funny, but I didn't care. It helped!

Hang in there. It DOES get easier! My last smoke was in 1999! :)

^^ What she said. I even stuffed a little tissue in the cut down straw so when I "inhaled" there was some resistance, like with a cigarette. Gum helped a lot too.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit in July, cold turkey after 30 years. Chew gum or buy some stir sticks. You've got this!