Dr. Bernstein Diet

Options
My 25 year old cousin is on this diet.

He has lost a lot of weight in the past few months...almost 60 pounds.

im not happy for him.

i think it is pathetic for a young able bodied person to lose weight this way.

i dont know how others feel about this.

i get it if you have no other choice, but when you are young, single, childless, what is stopping you from puting in the effort.

i think it is cheating.

im working hard to accomplish my weight loss goals. i find it insulting when it is done any other way.

anyway, there is my rant and now im done.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Really dude? Does it matter how he's doing it? You should be happy for the guy and I think your jealousy is showing and it isn't pretty. As the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. Use his process as encouragement to step up your game, not to tear down his.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Bernstein, like Bernstein bears? Does he eat porrige of varying degrees all the time?

...in seriousness, I just looked at it. It's a diet for diabetics? You do you, OP. You do you, and don't worry about what he does. What you're doing is only wrong if it doesn't work or hurts you.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    From what I understand from friends who have done it, it's a very low calorie diet with no exercise. You also have to get vitamin B12 shots. It costs about $700 a month from what I've heard, probably depending on the program. The daily calorie limit is 800 cals or something crazy like that.

It's mainly counting calories, which is what we do here on MFP. Granted you could do that for free, but some people will be more able to stick to something if it hits them in the wallet. To each their own.

I know two people who have done this, output a whole lot of money, lost a ton of weight, then gained it all back when they couldn't continue with the program. That being said, the rate at which people keep their weight off by any means is quite low so I don't know if there's a correlation.

As others have said, OP do your own thing and leave your cousin do his thing.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    All I found is it is low carb/high fat. Is there more to it? I am not sure how you can cheat at weight loss.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I, I, I, I
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    How is showing restrain in his diet "cheating"? How is he not putting in effort? I think someone's jealous.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I googled and I only see that it's a low carb diet for diabetics. Is your cousin diabetic? I'm confused about why this is pathetic and cheating. What does being young, single, and childless have to do with it? I'm just really confused.
  • LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Jealous much?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm on day nine of the 10 day Banana and Sardine Detox Diet. Let's do this! :o
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bernstein, like Bernstein bears? Does he eat porrige of varying degrees all the time?

...in seriousness, I just looked at it. It's a diet for diabetics? You do you, OP. You do you, and don't worry about what he does. What you're doing is only wrong if it doesn't work or hurts you.

KJW0Mk4mLl5uZ4DKE47SzyyXX1Alx1O1qdspBdpHuX-IYRw_lJWEaNPP2pOzElEb-O0YX7LXzuZdt_Vt8zsWMMmqvpn9_QlPRTFWM74=w500-h500-nc

Seriously, this isn't what he meant? :confused:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »

Ewww
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »

Did you weigh your sardines, or guess?
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Who knows it wasn't hard work for him? And even if it was easy, why so mad?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Where I don't agree with the super low caloric intake, this guy put some serious work in to lose 60 pounds. WTG him, so sorry for your attitude, as you SHOULD be supportive.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi - I am from Toronto and I'm familar with this diet. It is a supervised extremely low calorie diet and Dr. Bernstin's reputation is poor. I wouldn't say this program is "cheating" or low effort - dangerous would be a better word. People who follow it do loss considerable amounts quicky but they often feel very weak and have signs of poor health (pale skin, hair loss, cold all the time). Since your cousin is very young he may be o.k. but another side effect is skin that looks old before its time - which can happen with any weight loss program. However, this isn't very common with slower more sensible loss and younger age. My friend ended up with "severe turkey neck" at 40 - something that usual occurs much later in life. To me these types of diets may be necessary based on a well thought out risk assessment - for example if your cousin's family doctor told him he would likely have a heart attack before 26 if he did'nt loss weight, this risk is far worse than what I describe. I think you should worry more about your cousin's health and put aside your feelings of being insulted (assuming you don't wish him harm ;) )
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It sucks, been there. I've had friends do the frozen meals delivered to your door stuff and dropped 30lbs in a few months which took me close to two years to drop by changing my lifestyle. I'm happy for them, but I'll admit to some jealousy. My PT always comforted me with this saying: The quicker the weight comes off the harder it is to keep off. The longer it takes the weight to come off the easier it is to keep off.

So pick your battle and fight it. Don't worry about what others are doing. Unfortunately most "quick fixes" don't work in the long run. Otherwise I'm pretty sure everyone would be skinny! Use that as motivation to keep fighting your battle (assuming your doing the lifestyle change and losing weight slowly). Good luck!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ERM...last time I checked, diabetic dieters don't work any less hard at their diets than anyone else.

The Bernstein diet is a diabetic diet. And like all diets, it works the same as anyone else's, calorie deficit.

OP, your jealous is showing and also your ignorance. Both are best kept to yourself.