Question about daily calorie intake

Options
Not sure where to post this. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
My question is:
How many calories should I allow for breast feeding? I've heard you can burn up to 600 calories. I'm also exercising. I'm thinking a 1200 calorie diet while BFing is not gonna work. I tried to today and ended up bingeing by late afternoon cuz I was starving. I'm just wondering how many calories to allow myself.
Plus I need to do a meal plan so that when I get hungry I don't go for the high calorie foods. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I agree I think 1200 while BFing is way too low. I think you can find breastfeeding in the exercise database.
    As far as a meal plan I've found that when I enter in my meals the day before or in the morning I am more successful meeting my daily goals.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Hey, I am not sure if this site helps, but worth to check it.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It is in the food database.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It is in the food database.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Typically 300-500 cals per day for breastfeeding. I would not recommend trying for more than 1 lb per week loss while breastfeeding, especially if your baby is still young. Also, you need to make sure to eat your exercise cals, in addition to the breastfeeding cals.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much your baby is nursing. On average a woman burns 300-500 calories breastfeeding. You need to be very careful with restricting your calories, you can hurt your milk supply and if you restrict your calories enough you can even compromise the nutritional quality of your milk.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll go check it out. :happy:
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eat 500 more! Weight watchers gives you 10 more points for breastfeeding. I tried to eat 1200 calories when nursing and I lost nothing and my milk slowed down. All I had was a hungry crabby baby. Once eating the 500 more or 10pts - I lost 1.5lbs a week.
    Good luck! It will happen.
  • beautymama2011
    Options
    i just had my son and the doctor recommends that you add 500 calories to your diet (with healthy food not junk food :D) so that you have enough calories to make breast milk but ya you burn the extra 500 calories that you eat to make the breast milk... i hope this helps