Do you rev up before winter?

Options
I have this impending fear that when it gets cold outside and starts to snow, etc I wont be able to get in as much exercise! I have gotten into the routine of doing a 30 minute walk everyday after lunch, and going to the gym every other day. I know I wont be able to do those walks if there is snow and ice on the ground :( and I wont be able to drive how they dont care for the streets in the south, and Im so not motivated doing home workouts.

How do you keep your workout routine through the winter? Especially for outside exercisers?Do you exercise harder/more frequently right before winter?

Maybe I should workout everyday until snowfall :'(:'( because I feel as though it will make me completely fall off and I dont want to gain.

Replies

• iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern MI and am dreading when we have real snow on the ground. We're under ice and snow for at least 4-5 months. My morning walks will likely end, not due to ice or snow, but most mornings around here are well below 0 with windchills even colder. No offense, but if you really want to workout and make an effort, you will find a way to do it. Jog in place at home, utilize your stairs, body weight exerciese, yoga, dancing. In my opinion you can't "camel up" on exercise prior to winter and hope it holds you through the bad weather. It's something you have to have the desire to do and make a way for it to happen. Best of luck to you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Weather rarely stops me. I make adjustments, but I don't stop my workouts. I put my road bikes away once the snow comes, but I keep on running and mountain biking, and I increase my lifting during the winter. I also try to do some skiing/snowshoeing, but that hasn't happened much the last few winters.

I want to improve more than I want to avoid the bad weather, so I keep going.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Buy some snowshoes and continue to exercise throughout the winter. No reason to stop
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    No- not really- I workout inside and at a studio.

And if need be I just workout at home. life as usual through the winter- only time I worry is when I can't get my car to the gym- or they close- which they are more likely to do since it's a smaller none franchise gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I dawn my winter riding gear and some winter tires for my CX bike and continue to ride. If a big snow storm hits, that'll put a damper on things...for like a day or two tops. I can't imagine that it snows every day constantly in the south...I know it doesn't here.

I also bust out the skis (CC and downhill) and snow shoes and head for the mountains on select weekends. I also tend to spend a bit more time in the weight room...usually 4 days per week instead of my usual 3x weekly routine...they have a heater.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on switching to an all-indoor pattern once it's not safe for a clutz like me to be outside. ;) maybe some YAYOG, some tae bo, some super stretchy yoga; new stuff to keep me unbored until I can go play outside, again. I "might" walk/run stairs at work on my lunch break. I'm still on the fence about that, though.
  • MsPiggy82
    MsPiggy82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too live in the south and am worried about this as well. My plan is to invest in some of Nike's winter workout gear. It is pricey, but I've noticed that it is well made, so it works and lasts forever. Other than that I will try to work out midday when it is warmest.
  • slimthickzee
    slimthickzee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The thing in the south is, the snow is unpredictable, but the ice is the real issue, they dont salt or shovel the roads so we are basically out of commission until Mother Nature does the job for us, I would hate to go out there running or walking and slip on some ice..I think ill invest in some of those snow shoes though and try to ease myself into some home exercise -- hopefully I can find a few fun exercise videos.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If ice is more of an issue look at something like these:

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21078496&emssrcid=PPC:gooPLAs:Sporting_GoodsWinter_Sports&adpos=1o5&creative=50084692965&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPKO6-zG5sECFUsV7AodaiwAkA

I have a pair of these for late season hiking when it gets icy and these work remarkably well! I even did a short trail run with these last winter on a trail that was really icy.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Real Snow on the ground: Get snow boots, snow shoes or cross country skis
    What the South calls snow on the ground: Since this is usually ice, rather than snow, DANCE inside, march in place (See Walk away the pound videos)

Just too cold: Take advantage of these days to try something new, like yoga or strength training.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in the frozen tundra that is canada and I am a runner who HATES the treadmill. Suck it up and continue walking! there are so many things you can do outside in the snow and ice...I take my previous season runners and put screws in the bottom so they are great for running on ice and snow...people train for marathons all winter long. It's doable. and driving in the winter is bad only on crazy snow days...not every single day of the week. It seems like you are looking more for excuses IMHO...
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I canceled my gym membership and used the money I saved from that to buy the staple equipment I use regularly. I live in the south, so it doesn't get as cold here as many who have posted, but I do have to contend with shorter days and a longer commute to and from work. It has been incredibly helpful!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    "How do you keep your workout routine through the winter?"

Move to California! :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I hike and camp more in the winter than in the summer. I'm looking forward to it.

Really though, if you want to work out, you will. Surprisingly, in my experience, the bus is an excellent resource when the roads are bunk. A bus can get through it, and safely.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    II make it to my gym all winter (except when it is closed for storms) and I don't have a car and I live in the great white north.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    No. Winter here in Phoenix, AZ is sunny and 75.
  • slimthickzee
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jstrun wrote: »
    I live in the frozen tundra that is canada and I am a runner who HATES the treadmill. Suck it up and continue walking! there are so many things you can do outside in the snow and ice...I take my previous season runners and put screws in the bottom so they are great for running on ice and snow...people train for marathons all winter long. It's doable. and driving in the winter is bad only on crazy snow days...not every single day of the week. It seems like you are looking more for excuses IMHO...

Not really, I just know my weaknesses when it comes to my fitness journey. Im working on them, as im sure we all are. Plus Ive never been on a weight loss journey outside of the summertime so its new to me -- and im trying to make it a lifestyle -- please dont judge me, and I wont judge u (Chris Brown voice) :)
  • slimthickzee
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Can I come live with you?? Lol!!

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

Can I come live with you?? Lol!!

It's 100 degrees with 0% humidity here right now. Come on down!

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike this year and wanted to see if I would ride it through the winter, but I broke my leg three weeks ago and the bike is folded up in the bathroom. Other than that I work out at the Y so it's not an issue.