Are rice cakes good for you?

Options
Just wondering if rice cakes are good or bad for you to eat?

Replies

• sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    for a diabetic NO...
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i would say neither. They can help fill you up, but I don't think they have much nutritional value. I would eat something that is more satisfying and healthier- maybe some fruit or have a slice of bread instead of a couple rice cakes? or just eat the rice cakes, I don't think they're BAD for you.:smile:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    If you like eating something that tastes like a spare tire then no.........LOL
  • kristarablue
    Options
    You know, they have almost no nutritional value and you could choose much healthier things to eat that will give you proper nutrition. I am not a rice cake hater, I just think there are so many better choices.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    LOADED with sodium, just keep that in mind.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a base for my proteins--lunchmeat, hummus, etc. they are soooo low in calories, so a good substitute for bread or crackers, but I agree w/ the previous posts--they probably don't hold much nutritional value (though not bad for you either)
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of opinion. For the snackers, they might be good because they're low-cal, but at the same time, the snackers need to learn not to snack all the time if they're going to be truly successful in their weight loss. I personally like them from time to time when I get the munchies because they're better than eating a bag of reese's peanut butter cups!
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    what do you mean for a diabetic no? I like the flavoured ones as a snack. Maybe something would be more filling, but I do like the flavour. :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

One quaker rice cake (full size, not the minis) contains 15mg of sodium--a lot lower than most breads or crackers...
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I eat them because (although they are kinda like eating styrofoam), they are a low calorie snack. I use the organic brown rice ones and spread them with almond butter, or hummus or anything else my little mind can think up for a little nutrition.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

they do come salt free by lundberg.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    It's all a matter of opinion. For the snackers, they might be good because they're low-cal, but at the same time, the snackers need to learn not to snack all the time if they're going to be truly successful in their weight loss. I personally like them from time to time when I get the munchies because they're better than eating a bag of reese's peanut butter cups!

You can use rice cakes for something other than snacking--they make full sized ones to use instead of bread in a meal--also what is wrong with snacking--many healthy people eat smaller meals or "snacks" throughout the day, rather than 2 or 3 big heavy meals--in fact, many nutritionists recommend that approach.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

You can use rice cakes for something other than snacking--they make full sized ones to use instead of bread in a meal--also what is wrong with snacking--many healthy people eat smaller meals or "snacks" throughout the day, rather than 2 or 3 big heavy meals--in fact, many nutritionists recommend that approach.

When I say snacking, I am not referring to small meals. I am referring to those people who eat when they get bored, even when they have had enough to eat throughout the day. While the small meal approach is applauded by some nutritionists, it is frowned upon by others. It is all a matter of personal preference. Also, I am well aware that there are other uses for rice cakes. I was just saying what *I* use them for. I've read some great ideas that I hadn't thought of and will probably try. I am on a hummus kick right now, and had never thought about putting it on a rice cake, sounds really tasty.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    what do you mean for a diabetic no? I like the flavoured ones as a snack. Maybe something would be more filling, but I do like the flavour. :flowerforyou:
    Rice is high in carbs. Which pretty much equals eating spoonfuls of sugar for a Diabetic. If you are Diabetic you can find some that are lower in carbs. I've seen some with 7 grams of carbs to 26. It all depends. If I am going to have rice, which is rare for a Diabetic, then I'd rather have it warm in a meal then in a cake.

I know you aren't supposed to snack to lose weight. But as a Diabetic you have to snack 5 times a day. But that's not an excuse to eat junk!:tongue:
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad, especially if you're in a situation where you want a small snack and are faced with much worse alternatives. I personally like to get multigrain ones (which have little/no sodium for each cake), and spread it with either peanut butter, hummus, or (my favorite) light strawberry cream cheese - SO delicious when you have a sweet tooth!
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    They aren't bad, especially if you're in a situation where you want a small snack and are faced with much worse alternatives. I personally like to get multigrain ones (which have little/no sodium for each cake), and spread it with either peanut butter, hummus, or (my favorite) light strawberry cream cheese - SO delicious when you have a sweet tooth!

Ooooo do you use the Philly cream cheese or another brand? I love cream cheese but am really picky about how it tastes, texture, etc.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yep - I get the 1/3 less fat version and spread 1 tsp across the top of a rice cake (the larger ones).. try it one day :)
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    Yep - I get the 1/3 less fat version and spread 1 tsp across the top of a rice cake (the larger ones).. try it one day :)

I think I shall. Sounds really good, and I have an obsession with strawberries
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Good or bad is obviously very subjective, it depends on your priorities. They're processed so if your goal is to eliminate all or most processed foods they might be "bad" for you. If you're eating them instead of high-fat chips, that seems like a pretty good swap. If you can't eat gluten then some days they are a blessing :) For me they're a nice option for something crunchy and gluten free for few calories that is also quick to grab. I probably eat too many of them, but they are one of my "treats" so as far as treats go, I don't think it's too bad. I spread natural peanut butter on the caramel ones and then top with banana slices for breakfast or spread Laughing Cow light cheese wedges on the white cheddar flavored ones for a snack.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I am loving all of these ideas of stuff to put on them. I am going to have to get some when I do my grocery shopping. Right now I am loving the flat out wraps with a bit of hummus