Cruise Suggestions

Options

Replies

• ffswmn
    ffswmn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an 11 day cruise and only gained 2 lbs. and I ate what I wanted; I didn't do much drinking so I'm sure that helped. Make sure to always take the stairs and not the elevators. Drink a lot of water. If you do eat in the buffet peruse it before you start loading anything on your plate. I ate A LOT of fresh fruit and salad bar from the buffet. In the dining room I only ordered a starter (usually a salad), a small side (the most amazing fettucine alfredo I've ever had in my life), and then a main coarse, then it was off to the buffet for PB cookies. On past cruises I would usually order 2 entrees just because they looked so good.

All of our excursions were active; we hiked a lot.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    We went on a 5 night Disney cruise in March. I gained 8lbs. The whole idea of savoring each meal, enjoying things I don't usually, just flat out enjoying myself made the vacation so much better.

Within a week, I had the 8lbs gone. No problem!

^^this right here, enjoy your self, when you get back to the real world just work a little harder for a little longer. Have Fun with no worries B)

• VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate everyone's feedback and I got the memo: enjoy and try not to worry about it, take the stairs and be as active as possible, and have fun. Okay, noted! I'll come back to update with the caveat of remembering to do it ;)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Norovirus cleanse
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your cruise....I have just returned from one and only put on 3lb in the 7 days. I gave in to the treats & decided I was on holiday after all, but somehow never actually ate as much as I used too!

The weight has come off since returning and I feel like I actually had a holiday and let my hair down a little.....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make conscientious choices, use some moderation and most important: Enjoy your vacation!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'd just enjoy the cruise and repair the damage when you get back. I would not do a lot of drinking, which would help. I would think about my food choices each meal and do my best, but if I'm in Hawaii and looking at a breakfast buffet with lovely tropical fruits and fancy stuff, I'm not likely to choose the oatmeal. But that's just me. I do something like that so rarely that I would enjoy myself. Not to say I wouldn't try to peel off a few extra pounds before going to make room for indulging.

There's also plenty of exercise equipment on a cuise. You can use it and give yourself a few hundred extra calories to play with each day. Plan activities in port that require a fair amount of walking. There is often an upper deck for walking laps around the ship. People run or walk up there all the time. When I was on a cruise a bunch of us participated in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure event onboard. It was awesome. Other than just making conscious choices, I'd just have a good time and worry about it when you get home.
  • d6melanie
    d6melanie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been a few cruises and have usually (without trying) lost weight. But I'm pretty sedentary in my normal life and pretty active on vacation. I love food and "food experiences" so I eat in the dining rooms and order all the fancy courses. I pretty much don't snack though, because I don't want to pay for it and I only drink occasionally for the same reason.

I think if you spend the time having fun, drinking water, and playing your heart out then you won't have much to "lose" when you get back. Also the gyms tend to be pretty empty most of the time, and I've seen many a sun rise out the windows of a cruise gym on a treadmill. :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Those ships are pretty large -- figure out how many laps you need to run each day to burn off those wonderful calories.
  • deevah62
    deevah62 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just finished a 15 day cruise and was back to before cruise weight within a week! We walked at least a mile after every meal and took the stairs all the time, not the elevators. I always had fresh fruit with breakfast, a lot of seafood entrees and I enjoyed one glass of wine with most dinners.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Eat reasonably for two meals at day and indulge one meal a day. Be as active as you can and try not to get wasted everyday (alcohol calories add up big time). Most of all relax. Its 6 days. What matters more is getting right back to it when you get home.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Eat reasonably for two meals at day and indulge one meal a day. Be as active as you can and try not to get wasted everyday (alcohol calories add up big time). Most of all relax. Its 6 days. What matters more is getting right back to it when you get home.

I agree with a combination of this, and a combination of...don't relax completely. Personally, I don't want to see a pound gained when I get home from vacation. Maintenance!
  • xleannex19
    Options
    Hi there,

I went on my first cruise earlier this year and was worried about weight gain as I had another holiday 3 weeks later.

So I went to the gym onboard 4 out of the 7 days we were there for an hour a time, I did the stationary bike or treadmill and found it really relaxing and way more enjoyable than the gym back home because I got to sit and watch the ocean as I worked out - so relaxing!

I also adjusted my diet so rather than 3 meals a day, I had a large breakfast of scrambled eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms and then one slice of toast with peanut butter. I found this to fill me up for so that I wasnt hungry at lunch time so maybe just had a cup of coffee instead. Then I had a regular meal in the evening.

This combined with all the walking done in the ports resulted in a 1lb loss the week I was away.

Unfortunatley I also contracted Norovirus on my last day onboard which added to another 5lbs loss (which I came back as soon as I started eating properly again) but I woudlnt recommend that method haha!

Good luck!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i want to go on a cruise! it's been about 3 years since my last cruise. So much fun! Enjoy!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to a choice between buffet & sit down dining it pretty much comes down to how much self control you can have every time you sit down to the buffet. A buffet could potentially be healthier cause you can control how much condiments etc that you get on your plate.. however, that only really matters if you don't go back for 8 more plates! lol. I am definitely the type to overindulge at a buffet. The dining out isn't much better though as they give you WAY too much bread lol.

I found even though I was doing zumba and other activities on the boat on a daily basis I still ended up gaining a smidge of weight. It came off after though. Enjoy yourself!
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Its a vacation. Take a vacation from your diet too. Enjoy yourself. Do you need a second dessert? Nah... but have one anyway. You earned a vacation and paid for it... enjoy it. The weight will mostly be water and will come off. Ive been on 2 cruises while losing and was back on track in less than a week each time. I sail next saturday and plan on enjoying every meal.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I take my first cruise next month so I'm glad for this advice. I was also told that onboard exercise is the way to deal with motion sickness, another concern of mine.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    Options
    Update: I went on a true vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I took the stairs everyday and only used the elevator a few times for speed and convenience. I also walked the track on the top deck everyday several times and throughout the ship a lot and off shore.

I also used the amazing full gym exactly one time. Haha. I had the best of intentions to use the gym a couple other times but it just didn't happen and I didn't fret about it.

I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted, not in too much of an excess(except for one day) but definitely wasn't concerned with choices or logging and even had two desserts a couple times to try them and 2 appetizers sometimes for the 3 course dinner-lots of fancy new foods I wanted to try.\

Overall, I had a great time, a real vacation and so glad that I went and that I knew what I was going into and knew what to expect.

The results are that my pants fit a little tighter when they were loose and that the scale is showing a surplus. It's crazy how fast the inches/pounds come back but I am back trying to work it off..
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    ASLJH83 wrote: »
    Update: I went on a true vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I took the stairs everyday and only used the elevator a few times for speed and convenience. I also walked the track on the top deck everyday several times and throughout the ship a lot and off shore.

I also used the amazing full gym exactly one time. Haha. I had the best of intentions to use the gym a couple other times but it just didn't happen and I didn't fret about it.

I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted, not in too much of an excess(except for one day) but definitely wasn't concerned with choices or logging and even had two desserts a couple times to try them and 2 appetizers sometimes for the 3 course dinner-lots of fancy new foods I wanted to try.\

Overall, I had a great time, a real vacation and so glad that I went and that I knew what I was going into and knew what to expect.

The results are that my pants fit a little tighter when they were loose and that the scale is showing a surplus. It's crazy how fast the inches/pounds come back but I am back trying to work it off..

Sounds like you had a great time. Good for you thats what vacations are for. B)

• VeganAmandaJ
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm going on another cruise in October and it's a couple days longer than last time. I'll come back to review all of the suggestions but I feel like I have a good handle on what to do. I will take it a bit easier (more self-control) than last time and make sure I get some long walks in and actually get in the gym consistently while there. Thanks again!