Fat Free Hot Chocolate, Artificial Sweeteners

Options
Hi again!

So last year at this time, I had dropped to an unhealthy weight of around 100 pounds. I was over working my body and undernourishing it, resulting in hair loss, etc. I gained some healthy weight, but I am now trying to form a sustainable plan that will allow me to stay healthy and happy for good.

Last year I refused to drink anything but water. I know that may be an ideal for some, but it's just not realistic for me as a college student who loves a hot drink while I study. I have found that when I start drinking coffee, however, I over-drink and since I use splenda, this concerns me. I did a walk down the hot drink aisle today for alternatives, and I found nestle fat free hot chocolate, which has only 20 calories per packet. My concern with it is the fat free part. I am not concerned with fat in my diet, but I felt like 20 calories per packet was an incredible find for the taste. I know it has sugar added to make up for it being fat free. My questions are - Will drinking about 1 packet per day negatively affect my blood sugar and/or be detrimental to my health in the long term? Am I better off trying to satiate my craving with plain tea? Has anyone found a nice low-cal hot chocolate without artificial sweeteners?

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ddm1101 wrote: »
    Hi again!

So last year at this time, I had dropped to an unhealthy weight of around 100 pounds. I was over working my body and undernourishing it, resulting in hair loss, etc. I gained some healthy weight, but I am now trying to form a sustainable plan that will allow me to stay healthy and happy for good.

Last year I refused to drink anything but water. I know that may be an ideal for some, but it's just not realistic for me as a college student who loves a hot drink while I study. I have found that when I start drinking coffee, however, I over-drink and since I use splenda, this concerns me. I did a walk down the hot drink aisle today for alternatives, and I found nestle fat free hot chocolate, which has only 20 calories per packet. My concern with it is the fat free part. I am not concerned with fat in my diet, but I felt like 20 calories per packet was an incredible find for the taste. I know it has sugar added to make up for it being fat free. My questions are - Will drinking about 1 packet per day negatively affect my blood sugar and/or be detrimental to my health in the long term? Am I better off trying to satiate my craving with plain tea? Has anyone found a nice low-cal hot chocolate without artificial sweeteners?

Thanks!

No.
  • ddm1101
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Hi again!

Thanks!

No.

Thanks...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi again!

Thanks!

No.

Thanks...

Given all the context you gave, that's the best answer you'll get
  • ddm1101
    Options
    Hi again!

Thanks!

No.

Thanks...

Given all the context you gave, that's the best answer you'll get

Okay no worries.
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I know there is a specialty hot chocolate mix which is only cocoa powder and stevia, and that's easy enough to make yourself. Add that to some unsweetened almond milk and it would be about 45 calories per 8oz.