Is couch to 5k possible

Options
13»

Replies

• Beadzie
    Options
    It is absolutely possible. I have a host of ailments, and I did it. I cannot physically run, but I can walk a 5k. I've done it twice this year, and plan to try to do 3 next year. :D
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Is this program only available for cell phones? Looked over the site briefly and seems so as it works with or as an app. I don't own a cell, so curious...
    There are lots of podcasts out there that you can download if you have an mp3 player. Just Google "C25k podcast". Some have music, some have coaching to help you focus on your breathing and form.

• _kingbooble
    _kingbooble Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    fatty1973 wrote: »
    {snip}
    Give it a go, pace yourself and be proud of each and every run you do, but most importantly, HAVE FUN!!

Thanks for your encouragement and app advice, and I am in very similar position just a bit older, but I am starting from scratch and take strength from your post. At the moment I am perfectly happy to give this a go on my own as there is no one in a similar position and I am definitely not ready to go out with a club :smile: I will be running in stealth mode as far from civilisation until I feel more comfortable. First proper go is going to be Sunday as family commitments till then.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I will be running in stealth mode as far from civilisation until I feel more comfortable. First proper go is going to be Sunday as family commitments till then..

I was about 206 lbs when I started a program similar to C25k. That was 6 years ago. I've run several 5ks, 9 half marathons and one full marathon since.

You can do it!

My pieces of advice:

- Before jumping straight into C25k, I'd suggest spending a couple of weeks with simple 20-30 minute walks at a steady (maybe even brisk if you can handle it) pace. Depending on your current fitness level, it shouldn't take long to master that before beginning C25k. Even if you can currently do a single 30 minute brisk walk with no problem, it is a little different to do 3 or 4 of them in a single week.

- Consistency is the key. Once you get going, it is really important to stick with your plan. You can't skip a week and then try to make it up by running/walking 7 days the next week.

- It might not seem possible, but the sessions get easier as you build endurance. The first few weeks are the hardest.

- Safety first. If you are embarking on an exercise program where you will be alone and far from civilization... make sure somebody knows where you are, when you plan to return, and how to get in touch with you. You need to have a plan in case you should become ill or injured. Something as simple as a rolled ankle could become a problem.
  • _kingbooble
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My pieces of advice:

- Before jumping straight into C25k, I'd suggest spending a couple of weeks with simple 20-30 minute walks at a steady (maybe even brisk if you can handle it) pace. Depending on your current fitness level, it shouldn't take long to master that before beginning C25k. Even if you can currently do a single 30 minute brisk walk with no problem, it is a little different to do 3 or 4 of them in a single week.

Current fitness is I try to do 5miles a day at brisk pace 3-4mph sometimes I manage 8 miles sometimes less and once or maybe twice I will do a 10 mile walk
    Safety first. If you are embarking on an exercise program where you will be alone and far from civilization... make sure somebody knows where you are, when you plan to return, and how to get in touch with you. You need to have a plan in case you should become ill or injured. Something as simple as a rolled ankle could become a problem.

Good point! although I exaggerate a bit when I say far from civilisation :smile: but none the less good call on leaving a route etc as hadn't thought of injuries..
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 32, 250 pounds and I just started a 5K training program.

I did my first actual set of intervals on Tuesday evening with my Sasquatch in tow to keep time and make sure I didn't keel over.

It was tough towards the end, but the feeling of accomplishment was unbelievable.

This can be done.

:)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    zchastain wrote: »
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    Is this program only available for cell phones? Looked over the site briefly and seems so as it works with or as an app. I don't own a cell, so curious...

When i did C25K I didn't have a smartphone. I downloaded free podcasts that had music and direction on when to run, when to walk, etc. I got them at coolrunning.com and listened to them on my old-school iPod.

Here's the one I used, also a podcast but I like the music better: http://kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Absolutely!! Just start at the beginning and keep doing the same day over and over until you can do that one then go on to the next. It's a brilliant programme and can lead to much better things. Please try it!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I used the actual C25k program by Zen Labs. I don't use a smartphone, but it's available on iTunes for my iPod. You can create your own playlist and it just tones down the music to give you instructions. It gives you a 5 min warmup and cooldown, and tells you when you're halfway (which I used as my cue to turn around when I was new).

I started in June and had to do every.damn.day. TWICE! Graduated on Labor Day weekend :)

Ran my first 5k on October 25th and you'd have thought it was a marathon, it felt so great.

If you'd told me (when I couldn't even do that first 30 seconds) that I'd be DOING around 4.5 miles a day now, I'd have laughed in your face.

Oh, and I've lost about 15 lbs :)

You can ROCK this!
  • fatty1973
    fatty1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    . First proper go is going to be Sunday as family commitments till then.

Enjoy the run tomorrow and let us know how you get on. :smile:
  • _kingbooble
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Of course it's possible. It will take work, but you can do it!

I took no offence to this, short and to the point :smile:
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Why would you even want to? Its not necessary. You are not going to lose weight any faster and i'm one who believes that the impact of running on your joints when you are so overweight is risky. but its your body. If i were you i would stick to walk and for quite a while and then when your weight is down, start running.