Why on Earth Am I Gaining?!?!

Options
Like many (I see), I am getting REALLY FRUSTRATED! I have been doing the 17 DD on day 15 of cycle 1 and I have been REALLY GOOD other than the odd cheese add in (ok and I had a bite of calzone today because of my anger). I got down 7 pounds within the first 10 days but the last 5 days, I have gained 2 pounds!!! If you look at the math there is no WAY that I should be gaining and while it is difficult to get my cals up to 1200, I'm not hungry so why eat? Plus, the only occasion I really have to pound back for extra calories is at night, and that can't be good can it? To eat like 600+ calories in the evening? Also, it's really hard to up the cals in this cycle when we are only eating meat and veggies after 2 pm. Plus, only fish and chicken! I'm I supposed to cook up like 2 pounds of tilapia and eat it before going to bed??? I'm confused, frustrated, and it makes it hard to continue with no reward. Please help!!! My diary is open so feel free to have a look.

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to eat 1200 cals a day. Try more calorie dense foods. Greek yogurt, nuts. Maybe try and eat more in the mornings for breakfast, so you aren't left with 600 calories at the end of the day.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Why have you set your daily net calories at 1,000? You are not eating enough- Try upping the amount of calories you are eating! Your minimum net calories should be 1,200.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough you are starving your body so it is desperatly holding onto every cal you put into it
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    But doesn't it seem like I'm eating enough??? How much can a person eat? That's a lot of food I thought!
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Its not the volume of food that is important-it is the calories and the nutrition in the food that is important. Also why are you avoiding red meat? Is this a new thing or are you a red meat "vegetarian"? There is nothing wrong with eating red meat when you are on a "diet." The idea of a "diet" is making it a life style change. This should be something you can stick with for the rest of your life, not just until you reach a "weight loss goal." If you feel this is something you can not stick with forever and you feel like quiting than you need to adjust how you are eatting because it won't last in the long run.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other posts. You have to keep at the 1200 cals for the long term effect of weight loss.

Could be water rentention. Have you eaten high sodium foods? Could it be time of month?

Another suggestion is drink more water or eat more water soluable foods to keep your system more fluid.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    aside what some people say yes it can be hard to get to 1200 calories, i have a hell of a time and rarely get there. i mean today i ate like a pig, breakfast (well a drink there) , morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack. dinner, and i look and its not even 800 cals???

not sure what to tell you about the gain, though i will say look at the big picture in your life. by the i mean other conditions including but not limited to medications, tom and anything else that can be effection your body chemistry. last weekend i was on muscler relaxer and pain meds, the day after a started them i jumped up 4 pounds. i was like really????reallly??? it stayed like that for 4 days while i was on them stopped taking them tuesday morning weighed myself weds the 4 pounds were gone plus another .2
    so stick with what ever seems to work for you don't get frustrated and look at the big picture
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow, definitely not eating enough. Your metabolism needs fuel every 2.5 - 3 hours to work the way its supposed to. You, me, the skinny little hundred pound girl at the gym, needs to consume at least 1200 calories a day to function properly. If you're eating the right foods (whole grains/complex carbs, fruits and vegetables and lean protein) throughout the day it should be easy to make that goal. Its important to get your body on a regular eating schedule to regulate your sugars and metabolism. I guarantee if you eat healthy carbs and protein and up your calories, and continue working out, you will start shedding pounds. If you'd like you can message me or add me as a friend and Id love to help you figure it out :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more calories. It's not hard if you eat nutriousiously dense foods (you can eat very few foods for a lot of calories, just make good choices). I can easily pack away 1200 cals in a meal, especially after a hard workout.
  • mfreeby
    Options
    I'm not eating red meat on this cycle of the plan. It's not that it is really hard to stick to or anything I'm just getting frustrated with the scale going in the wrong direction. I will make a point of upping my net cals to 1200 FOR SURE and hope that it makes a difference. After Sunday, I'm onto cycle 2 which includes some red meat and some healthy carbs so maybe then things will really amp up. Thanks for the support everyone!
  • muriah2
    Options
    When I'm low on calories for the day I'll down a glass of milk or smear peanut butter on something :) both excellent sources of protein and packs some good calories.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I struggle a lot with eating even though I am not hungry. I found that all natural fruit leathers, jello, yogurt, sugar free pudding, and protein shakes help me with it. I have been eating a lot of hummus recently which is not helping the whole not getting hungry thing, but it's SO tasty!
  • muriah2
    Options
    When I'm low on calories for the day I'll down a glass of milk, have a slice of cheese or smear peanut butter on something :) both excellent sources of protein and packs some good calories. If you can, maybe try to get your calories up a little higher than 1200, maybe 1300? And snack between meals. You're right, its not good to cram all or most of your calories into one meal, especially dinner. Maybe go for a larger breakfast or lunch and keep dinner to a protein and veggies. Maybe divide your calorie goal by 5 (240 if you stay at 1200 calories) and eat 5 small 240 calorie meals a day. I hope I'm not sounding preachy or acting like a know it all, I just really want to help.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    When I'm low on calories for the day I'll down a glass of milk or smear peanut butter on something :) both excellent sources of protein and packs some good calories.

4 words:
    Fage Total Greek Yogurt

*dies of epic deliciousness* more importantly *DIES HAPPY*
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options

4 words:
    Fage Total Greek Yogurt

*dies of epic deliciousness* more importantly *DIES HAPPY*

I so agree! I like putting that into post workout smoothies, too, for extra protein.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I do that as well. A tbsp of peanut butter on bread or some crackers is tasty too!
  • mfreeby
    Options
    Well, I'm really focusing on up-ing my cals to be sure that I get in 1200 and still NOTHING is happening. The scale goes up a pound, then down, then up then down. :(. I haven't lost a pound or an inch in like a week. I'm definitely gaining muscle from doing Jillian Michael's workout dvds but I'm just so frustrated and discouraged that the scale isn't moving and there is no reward for my hard work. I know I just shouldn't weigh or whatever but realistically, when a person is working hard, they want to see that it's paying off.

Just feeling pooey today about it all. :(
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a "witch with a B," there is a reason it is called the 17-Day DIEt. You have to make LIFEstyle changes, and if eating this way isn't something you can live with all your life, you will most likely gain back what you have lost once you go back to eating a more normal diet.

Watch your portion sizes, eat healthy carbs, fruits and veggies, yogurt, healthy nuts, etc., and you will lose weight. You will also be able to live with the choices you are making without going to such an extreme. If you lost this weight initially, and it was the first week you were really trying, it probably had more to do with water weight than true weight loss.

Kaye
  • mfreeby
    Options
    Well the DIET is not really the problem. I have tons of energy, am consistently making really healthy choices and feel that I am now living a very healthy lifestyle. The book was just a mechanism for that. I am not craving or eating any bad foods. Just because I used a book/food plan to get me back on track really doesn't address the issue that I'm not seeing results from healthy eating and exercise. I'm not "w"itching because I can't stick to the diet, I'm just feeling discouraged at the lack of results.