Dr. Bernstein Diet

Options

Replies

• ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have done Dr. Bernstein in the past.
    It is no more a diabetic diet than weight watchers, or using MFP.
    It can be tailored to diabetics just like any other diet.

It is not low cal high fat... it is low cal, low fat, low carb, and it is also not no exercise. They suggest light exercise, but not going overboard because of the calorie deficit, and they don't suggest eating back calories.

It is meant for people who are morbidly obese, and who have tried and failed other diets. It is meant as a last option before surgery.

I was borderline diabetic, and had many other health problems before I did Dr. Bernstein, and have that diet to thank for reversing ALL of my health problems.

Could I have done it on MFP? No, I don't believe so. Weight loss does have a lot to do with calorie deficit, exercise, but for someone with an eating disorder, the mental aspect of it can be the most difficult part. MFP doesn't have the personal one-on-one counselling that Dr. B has to help someone through weight loss while struggling with an eating disorder. (And I don't consider the message boards anything even close to in-person counselling, and medical supervision.)

It is expensive, which is why I had to stop before reaching my goal, but I can honestly say that Dr. B diet saved my life.

That all being said... it's not for everyone, and I would NOT recommend it unless someone has tried and failed every other option, is morbidly obese, and is using it as a last ditch effort before turning to surgery. It is very extreme, and very difficult.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have done Dr. Bernstein in the past.
    It is no more a diabetic diet than weight watchers, or using MFP.
    It can be tailored to diabetics just like any other diet.

It is not low cal high fat... it is low cal, low fat, low carb, and it is also not no exercise. They suggest light exercise, but not going overboard because of the calorie deficit, and they don't suggest eating back calories.

It is meant for people who are morbidly obese, and who have tried and failed other diets. It is meant as a last option before surgery.

I was borderline diabetic, and had many other health problems before I did Dr. Bernstein, and have that diet to thank for reversing ALL of my health problems.

Could I have done it on MFP? No, I don't believe so. Weight loss does have a lot to do with calorie deficit, exercise, but for someone with an eating disorder, the mental aspect of it can be the most difficult part. MFP doesn't have the personal one-on-one counselling that Dr. B has to help someone through weight loss while struggling with an eating disorder. (And I don't consider the message boards anything even close to in-person counselling, and medical supervision.)

It is expensive, which is why I had to stop before reaching my goal, but I can honestly say that Dr. B diet saved my life.

That all being said... it's not for everyone, and I would NOT recommend it unless someone has tried and failed every other option, is morbidly obese, and is using it as a last ditch effort before turning to surgery. It is very extreme, and very difficult.

Thank you for the clarification. I am glad you are doing well now.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you lorib642
    I am doing much better mentally, and physically.

I have seen a very negative reaction to the Dr. B diet on these boards, so I was very hesitant posting my experience, but I was very sad to see that OP had such a misguided view of this diet.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    what a big baby
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    what a big baby

Furby is that you?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Bernstein, like Bernstein bears? Does he eat porrige of varying degrees all the time?

...in seriousness, I just looked at it. It's a diet for diabetics? You do you, OP. You do you, and don't worry about what he does. What you're doing is only wrong if it doesn't work or hurts you.

KJW0Mk4mLl5uZ4DKE47SzyyXX1Alx1O1qdspBdpHuX-IYRw_lJWEaNPP2pOzElEb-O0YX7LXzuZdt_Vt8zsWMMmqvpn9_QlPRTFWM74=w500-h500-nc

Seriously, this isn't what he meant? :confused:

Man, and here I was hoping for a rehash of my childhood books about how to be a better person.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Call me what you want. I'm still entitled to be opinion, which hasn't changed by reading any of your posts.

It's a lazy way for an able bodied 25 year old person to lose weight.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    Call me what you want. I'm still entitled to be opinion, which hasn't changed by reading any of your posts.

Why don't you tell him how you feel, Dr. Phil?
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Really dude? Does it matter how he's doing it? You should be happy for the guy and I think your jealousy is showing and it isn't pretty. As the saying goes, don't hate the player, hate the game. Use his process as encouragement to step up your game, not to tear down his.

Agreed
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on you and not on other people.
    It is obvious you are experiencing a slight bit of weight loss envy here, otherwise, why else would you have an issue with it? You are not showing concern for his rapid weightloss, simply offence at the fact they are supposedly 'cheating'.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options

I think OP is just jealous that they other guy is losing weight faster than he is.

I think you're onto something there.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    So if it sucks for you and not the other guy, that is 'cheating'?

Just....wow....

Be HAPPY for him
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Man, and here I was hoping for a rehash of my childhood books about how to be a better person.

Actually, I think OP could use a few Berenstain Bears books himself...

61qptp1WnjL.jpg

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Your cousin needs more supportive family members.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Be happy for him and worry about you.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

61qptp1WnjL.jpg
    what's a fire and why does it...
    what's the word...

#Burrrrrrrrrrrn?
    tumblr_mnxtbkY0mL1soxm0go1_250.gif

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

61qptp1WnjL.jpg
    what's a fire and why does it...
    what's the word...

#Burrrrrrrrrrrn?
    tumblr_mnxtbkY0mL1soxm0go1_250.gif

OMG! laughsss
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Lol @ the Bernstein bears posts!

I'm definitely not jealous. I just think it is pathetic that a guy his age would go about it this way.

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "It's not enough that I should win... others should lose!"