Fitness Trackers: Which is the best ... ? (And do you have a Basis?)

Options
I am looking for an activity tracker type device that will measure MY calories burned (preferably both at rest and during intentional activity/workouts). Thing is, I don't want one that just references a database of averages, like MFP does. I want one that actually measures MY burn based on heart rate, movement tracked, my stats, etc. I asked my doctor for recommendations and he said that the only one that does this is Basis. Is that true? Do you know of any others, and/or do you know if Basis actually is capable of measuring the burn of the person who wears it? Hope the question makes sense. I don't even know if that level of tech exists yet, and I don't want to invest if I'm going to get the same level of analysis that logging exercise on MFP would give me. I am looking for MY burn (again, if the technology exists to do that).

Do you have a Basis? What is your experience with it? They just announced they're coming out with a new model called "Peak" and I've got my finger on the trigger but wanted input from the experts before investing.

(I gave up waiting for my Amiigo! Pfffffft!)

Thanks for your (kind, thoughtful) responses!

Q.

Replies

• M_from_PA
    M_from_PA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    UP3 comes close to what you're looking for; the technology is changing quickly. It might be worth waiting a bit longer to see what else comes out in the next year or so.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Polar Loop. I've had it for about a week now and LOVE IT!

Its a tracker work on your wrist to count your steps (so far seems pretty accurate), syncs via Bluetooth to an app on your phone, and it comes with a chest strap heart rate monitor for your workouts (also connects via Bluetooth)

http://www.polarloop.com/
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Body Media. They don't advertise like the Fitbits, etc. But I wanted the same thing - what do I burn, not what is the average.

All of the other devices only use accelerometers coupled with complex formulas based on averages.

Body Media is the only one that also measures skin temp/sweat. When you exercise you pump lots more blood through your body therefore the surface heats up and you sweat to regulate the body temp. Body Media is 95% accurate in estimating calories burned and the more you wear it, it 'learns' your body.

Lots of people don't like it because you wear it on your upper arm and it's not as subtle as a wrist band. Other people don't like it because you have to pay for a membership to their activity manager interface ($6.95/month). Personally if I'm willing to pay that for NetFlix I should be willing to invest that in my health. I spend that on one glass of wine out at a restaurant.

I have one with bluetooth that I sync with my iPhone. At first I would sync every couple hours out of curiosity and I'd use up the battery in about 3 days. Now I sync in the morning to see where I ended my previous day and I sync at some point in the evening, usually after working out/before dinner so I can gauge what I have for dinner. Now it lasts 7-8 days. I wear it 24/7 except showers and I have extra elastic armbands so I can wash/air dry them and rotate them.

ETA - Also BodyMedia is the ONLY device that is registered and recognized as a medical device with the FDA - that should tell you something.
  • Mister_Al
    Options
    BodyMedia was aquired by Jawbone. The tech has "apparently" been used in the UP3.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    DCRainmaker has an in depth review of several of the popular ones here...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/activity-monitors
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Right now the hot new girl in school is the Basis Peak.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Quieau wrote: »
    I am looking for an activity tracker type device that will measure MY calories burned (preferably both at rest and during intentional activity/workouts). Thing is, I don't want one that just references a database of averages, like MFP does. I want one that actually measures MY burn based on heart rate, movement tracked, my stats, etc. I asked my doctor for recommendations and he said that the only one that does this is Basis. Is that true?
    Q.
    They all use database averages, even the Basis. Some use more data points than others. You don't get much more accuracy from adding data points, though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html

The Basis actually fared poorly in that test.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! Appreciate your input!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Basis isn't going to be the only Activity Tracker with a HRM built in for much longer.

Fitbit is coming out with 2 new models. The Charge HR and the Surge.
    Microsoft also just released the Microsoft Band which has 24hr HR monitoring.

Than of course there are the Polar Loop and Garmin VivoFit which can both sync with chest strap HRM's.
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That review WalkingAlong was for the basis band not the basis peak.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    The Microsoft Band. I just got mine and it monitors your heart rate throughout the day and tracks calories burned, amongst a ton of other things.
  • Praying
    Options
    I use the polar ft7
  • Praying
    Options
    Praying wrote: »
    I use the polar ft7

it will track resting if you leaving the chest monitor on but it is designed for use during excercise.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    No chest band needed with the Band. I've wanted a fitness tracker for a long time, most notably with HR monitor, but there's no way I'd wear a chest monitor at the gym, or anywere else for that matter.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    SpecialKH wrote: »
    Body Media. They don't advertise like the Fitbits, etc. But I wanted the same thing - what do I burn, not what is the average.

All of the other devices only use accelerometers coupled with complex formulas based on averages.

Body Media is the only one that also measures skin temp/sweat. When you exercise you pump lots more blood through your body therefore the surface heats up and you sweat to regulate the body temp. Body Media is 95% accurate in estimating calories burned and the more you wear it, it 'learns' your body.

Lots of people don't like it because you wear it on your upper arm and it's not as subtle as a wrist band. Other people don't like it because you have to pay for a membership to their activity manager interface ($6.95/month). Personally if I'm willing to pay that for NetFlix I should be willing to invest that in my health. I spend that on one glass of wine out at a restaurant.

I have one with bluetooth that I sync with my iPhone. At first I would sync every couple hours out of curiosity and I'd use up the battery in about 3 days. Now I sync in the morning to see where I ended my previous day and I sync at some point in the evening, usually after working out/before dinner so I can gauge what I have for dinner. Now it lasts 7-8 days. I wear it 24/7 except showers and I have extra elastic armbands so I can wash/air dry them and rotate them.

ETA - Also BodyMedia is the ONLY device that is registered and recognized as a medical device with the FDA - that should tell you something.

All of this for me... I had my BMF for over a year and it has been scary accurate.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Quieau wrote: »
    I am looking for an activity tracker type device that will measure MY calories burned (preferably both at rest and during intentional activity/workouts). Thing is, I don't want one that just references a database of averages, like MFP does. I want one that actually measures MY burn based on heart rate, movement tracked, my stats, etc. I asked my doctor for recommendations and he said that the only one that does this is Basis. Is that true?
    Q.
    They all use database averages, even the Basis. Some use more data points than others. You don't get much more accuracy from adding data points, though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/20/activity-monitor-accuracy-fitbit-jawbone_n_5516156.html

The Basis actually fared poorly in that test.

So, I read the actual study that article was based on, and i kind of want to see pictures of the participants because it seems like they'd look a little ridiculous covered in all those monitors plus the VOmax mask.

Results were interesting though. I'm curious how all the new monitors that incorporate continuous HR will hold up when compared to the bodymedia.

Sadly, the thing I don't like most about the bodymedia is that it straps to the arm, and my arms are so loose and flabby now that I've lost a lot of fat in them, I think it would look horrible. I'm too vain for my own good...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is no such device.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why when I go to the body media website and try to purchase one, I get transferred to the jawbone site and only their products show up??? I understand that they were bought out, but now I'm interested in the body media and I don't know how to buy one??
  • CarolAmanda
    CarolAmanda Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like my jawbone up24 but plan to upgrade to the fitbit charge or the up3. Any rumors about when the up3 will have continuous heart rate monitoring? what I read said in a future software update.

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    here's a stupid question.. does a fitbit work if you wear it on your ankle?