All right, protein powder poll?

Options
ana3067
ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
Just a few questions, there was a nice thread before but I wanted to ask a few specific things.

1) Good place to buy online with good shipping to Canada? Bodybuilding and vitacost and iherb are all places I know can ship to Canada. Not sure which is best price- and availability-wise.

2) What size is the most economical to buying? When I compare the price of the 900ish gram containers they are about the same or pricier than buying locally

3) Fave brands overall, and fave for specific purposes (e.g. cooking vs baking vs drinking straight)

4) Anyone just buy locally, is it about the same price?

Replies

• jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i never pay more than 30 ofr 2lbs
    any blend is best for cooking, i like dymatize elite gourmet vanilla for baking and drinking you can mix with anything, its whey casin blend
    i also really like trutein-also a blend with great flavors
    my new favorite:
    iForce Nutrition 100% Whey Protean Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal Cookie

look for deals ad troll the web for coupons
    cellucor and musclepharm have good flavors as well
    for me its a personal preference thing but you cant argue with ratings
  • ana3067
    Options
    jaquelynny wrote: »
    i never pay more than 30 ofr 2lbs
    any blend is best for cooking, i like dymatize elite gourmet vanilla for baking and drinking you can mix with anything, its whey casin blend
    i also really like trutein-also a blend with great flavors
    my new favorite:
    iForce Nutrition 100% Whey Protean Brown Sugar Maple Oatmeal Cookie

look for deals ad troll the web for coupons
    cellucor and musclepharm have good flavors as well
    for me its a personal preference thing but you cant argue with ratings

hm, have not tried blends. I've just used straight whey for baking and drinking. Thanks for the tip!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Not sure - I buy from a local bodybuilding shop. Prices as good or better than online, no waiting for delivery, supporting a local business. Obviously not an option for everyone, but I suggest you look around... you may be surprised by what's available near you.

2) Generally, the bigger the container, the cheaper the per serving price. Sales can throw this off, but it generally holds true when staying within the same brand/product. Comparing different brands will further throw off the comparison.

3) Optimum Nutrition (I only drink as a shake, no cooking/baking with powder)

4) See #1.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    whey has sort of a texture and flavor when you bake it, you would be surprised when you try a blend or using casin. check out protein pow, her free recipes on bodybuilding.com, her instagram and she has a couple in her website, she markets a cook book so only some are free. she will open your world to protein baking and she uses a variety of protiens, but honestly you are good if you buy one or 2 versatile types a vanilla and a flavor-pumpkin pie is a hot buy now great in pancakes oats and yogurt.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I like Trutein for drinking or mixing with greek yogurt. It's on the pricey side, but I've been checking bodybuilding.com and a1supplements.com and have been able to find some sales. (I order a lot of stuff online, so I haven't really even checked brick-and-mortar stores for protein powder in a long while). I liked the Isopure unflavored whey, but their flavored varieties make me nauseated. Optimum Nutrition is pretty good, and I drank all of my BF's leftover EAS Myoplex and liked it (it's pretty high-calorie, though, and I don't like any of EAS's lower calorie powders).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I used to use Optimum Nutrition exclusively, but switched to cellucor to try it for the summer. orks better for me, fewer GI disruptions.

Buy the biggest package you can, in general prices are better.

Shipping to canada... well, if iMountieSupplyeh.com isn't giving you the brotein you need, I'd say check out Amazon. I saw a documentary on their service, apparently in Toronto, they deliver in person, and use interdimensional doorways for travel.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    http://www.canadianprotein.com/ Cheapest in Canada, You can buy in bulk and they have some good New zealand grass fed whey... Think you can get a code to save 10% too.

5 lbs for $41
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    BB.com has a lot of buy one get one free which works out great but new laws here in Canada do not allow them to ship more then 90 days worth of supplements to Canada...Sucks big time.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    1) Not sure - I buy from a local bodybuilding shop. Prices as good or better than online, no waiting for delivery, supporting a local business. Obviously not an option for everyone, but I suggest you look around... you may be surprised by what's available near you.

2) Generally, the bigger the container, the cheaper the per serving price. Sales can throw this off, but it generally holds true when staying within the same brand/product. Comparing different brands will further throw off the comparison.

3) Optimum Nutrition (I only drink as a shake, no cooking/baking with powder)

4) See #1.

There is a supplement store near a beauty supply store here, but I didn't go in to see what they sold. Caveat is that I do not drive and it's... not easy to get to by bus! But I might have to check it out :)
  • ana3067
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I used to use Optimum Nutrition exclusively, but switched to cellucor to try it for the summer. orks better for me, fewer GI disruptions.

Buy the biggest package you can, in general prices are better.

Shipping to canada... well, if iMountieSupplyeh.com isn't giving you the brotein you need, I'd say check out Amazon. I saw a documentary on their service, apparently in Toronto, they deliver in person, and use interdimensional doorways for travel.

I was looking at Cellulor, and Trutein... I do think I will have to order some type of blend just to try it out. Wound up buying something locally though because I'm almost out, but it's not my fave. Actually, I'm not sure since I've never tried this flavour, but I've been meh on isolates before and I am tired of chocolate/vanilla!!!

tumblr_mt4idlIK381rm9nx5o1_400.gif
  • ana3067
    Options
    http://www.canadianprotein.com/ Cheapest in Canada, You can buy in bulk and they have some good New zealand grass fed whey... Think you can get a code to save 10% too.

5 lbs for $41
    Didn't know this site existed! Will give it a look, thanks :)
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

5 lbs for $41

Check them out, I cannot find a better deal.. Fast shipping and no nonsense packaging.
  • ana3067
    Options

5 lbs for $41

Check them out, I cannot find a better deal.. Fast shipping and no nonsense packaging.
    have you ever ordered or is it just something you found while Googling? I'm thinking I'll try the sample packet thing first, although i do wish they sold some protein blends and not just whey blend.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    When I bought the stuff I went local (prefer my protein from food as much as possible) if you're looking for online though, have you looked into FitShop? Tried a few brands personally like ALLMax
  • Fuoriclasse
    Options
    I use Amazon because they're usually a few dollars cheaper than the nutrition/health type stores around here, but I live in the US.

My favorite powder is Isoburn by BSN, I've tried all three flavors and they're great. BSN also have another powder called Syntha-6, but I was told that's more to help with bulking/building muscle... since I primarily work out for weight loss/management and general well being, Isoburn is more suited to my needs.

For comparison and an alternative choice, my husband uses Optimum Nutrition and it tastes great (and also contains more protein than Isoburn does) but I personally still prefer Isoburn.

I'm excited to try Quest's protein powder soon and I'll see how that matches up.
  • redfisher1974
    Options

5 lbs for $41

have you ever ordered or is it just something you found while Googling? I'm thinking I'll try the sample packet thing first, although i do wish they sold some protein blends and not just whey blend.

I have had the New zealand grass fed whey and it was good, Mixed well and tasted good. also tried some of the BCAAS and such. indeed try the samplers always a great idea. Our dollar only being 87 cents really kills us to order from the states.. Costco sells a protein that's good too.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I personally am a fan of the Cellucor cinnamon swirl. Bb.com usually most of the time has the bogo or the b2g1 deals. I usually purchase the 2 lb containers so I can get 2 or 3 different options. I have the Cellucor sores also, which is pretty good also.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I personally am a fan of the Cellucor cinnamon swirl. Bb.com usually most of the time has the bogo or the b2g1 deals. I usually purchase the 2 lb containers so I can get 2 or 3 different options. I have the Cellucor sores also, which is pretty good also.
    Unfortunately bb.com won't ship the bogo deals here to Canada as the customs office won't allow more then 90 days worth of supplements into the country ... Sucks for sure.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet french vanilla from Amazon. I'm pretty sure they ship everywhere.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    This is the stuff Costco sells here in Canada, I just got lucky at a liquidation place and got 4.4 lbs of 100% whey Isolate for $18...g4qyugy6si7m.jpg