Help! Need advice about seeing old friends...

Options
I'm new to this site and not sure if this is the right place to post this but I really need some advice.

I'm 20 years old, in my junior year of college, and in March I gained about 30 lbs... I went from 125 to 155 (I'm 5'5). Since then I've lost about 18 lbs, so I'm at 137 right now.

A boy I dated for a long time recently invited me to his fraternity formal... We've been broken up for about a year and I really want to go see him this weekend, but since I've gained this weight I haven't seen ANY of my old friends. It's definitely been lonely, and I'm proud that I've lost 18 lbs, but that's still a 12 lb gain from the last time I saw him. I know I look noticeably heavier.

Would it be better to wait until I've gotten more weight off to see him? Or should I suck it up and pretend like nothings different and try and be confident?

PS- I know this probably sounds like a kind of stupid and trivial concern, but it's all I can think about for the moment and would definitely appreciate honest feedback. Thanks!!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think he will notice the difference between 125 and 137. Also he's probably changed too, everyone does. Just go.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i agree with MyChocolateDiet, i think you should go. my weight went up, down, all around during my undergrad, and no one, especially not the guys, really noticed nor cared.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i agree with MyChocolateDiet, i think you should go. my weight went up, down, all around during my undergrad, and no one, especially not the guys, really noticed nor cared.

+1
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's possible that if you say no, he might not ask again in the future. If the few pounds you've gained are going to discourage him---you don't want him. Also have you prepared yourself, what if he's gained a few pounds? Will that change how you think about him? A lasting deep relationship with another person means there's alot more there than looks. Go, and dress your best, smile alot, and above all----enjoy! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't think he will notice the difference between 125 and 137. Also he's probably changed too, everyone does. Just go.

^^ this Go for it :)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    go for it you will regret it more if you dont
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I dated this girl for a while - super thin, great curves, sexy as all get out. We broke up and went our seperate ways. A few years later she emailed me saying she was in town. We decided to get together for dinner. When she came to the door I saw she gained 30 or 40 pounds.

Want to know how I handled it?

ck3vrtzqctjz.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    I dated this girl for a while - super thin, great curves, sexy as all get out. We broke up and went our seperate ways. A few years later she emailed me saying she was in town. We decided to get together for dinner. When she came to the door I saw she gained 30 or 40 pounds.

ck3vrtzqctjz.jpg

Love this!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    samammay wrote: »

ck3vrtzqctjz.jpg

Love this as well!
    OP, 12 pounds is nothing-he's not even going to notice! Go, have fun, relax.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    One of the negative effects of the celebrity and fashion world, making out the supposed importance of how you look before seeing a friend. Its a shame....