• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    This thread took an unexpected twist!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There is not a magic number that applies to everyone. The number of calories you consume is an individual thing. There are a lot of factors to consider. I began MFP @ 290#. I consulted with my doctor and we agreed to start out @ 1200 calories. It worked for me. I have been maintaining for a year now at between 130-135,( I did get down to 125 for about 10 minutes), and I am now eating between 1500-1880 calories per day. The point is, you need to have your health care professional involved and aware of what you are doing. General numbers are just guidelines. Find what works for you and a way of eating that will be sustainable
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I would hazard to guess that many of the people who are claiming to eat 1200 calories a day, every day, for sustained periods of time, are mistaken and are actually eating a much higher average through 'cheat' days, binge days, or simply poor tracking. Otherwise the population of underweight people would exceed the overweight population.

^^If you are honestly tracking your food and beverages daily and eat less than you burn and have no health issues, you will lose weight. However, I read the other day that 100 additional calories eaten per day over what you burn will be a 10# weight gain in one year. As a general rule, I don't think that most overweight people are eating 1200 calories a day as you burn more than that just by be alive and sedentary.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the individual. Height, current weight, activity level, age, etc…. I went to a naturapath and my base metabolic rate was 1363kg. I'm 152cm (5 foot) tall, 42 years old, 17kg overweight and have a sedatry occupation (Bookkeeper, sit on my a.. all day). She placed me on a 1227 cal restriction to loose weight. This has worked for me so far with 1.7kg weight reduction in 3 weeks.

However, I have a friend who's a lot taller, 7 years younger, works as a cook in an aged care facility and her calorie restriction in 1600 approx. She is also loosing weight.

Go see a professional who speciallises in this field to get a recommendation that suits you.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Good doctor, keep her. She seems to know what she is talking about, which is a rare find.

It's rare to find a doctor that knows what they are talking about? I find that hard to believe. What are your qualifications?

Maybe she meant nutritionally speaking? I've heard that the nutritional education in medical school is somewhat lacking but maybe that is inaccurate.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I agree with that... What I was saying is that there are a lot of people who claim to be eating 1200 calories a day and complain that they aren't losing and I call B.S. on that. Unless you're extremely small of stature or have underlying health conditions, you will lose weight on 1200. However, limiting yourself to 1200 really isn't sustainable for long periods of time for most people. And to those who claim that they've been doing it for years on end and they're fine--again, B.S.--they would be seriously underweight and be considered to have an eating disorder.

(I have done 1200 calories a day. I have done less than 1200 calories a day. I had an eating disorder. Although it never got to the point where I had to be hospitalized, my BMI was well under the healthy range. Looking back, I don't like that I had an eating disorder. I like to eat food so I try to run everyday and can easily lose weight eating ~1500 calories.)
  • oberlin078
    oberlin078 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've been told by both a doctor and a kinesiologist that it's best to eat no lower than your basal metabolic rate, which is how much you burn just sustaining life, with no activity at all. Any lower and you risk losing muscle as well as fat. MFP has BMR calculator. For me, I had a BMR test done, and MFP was pretty close: it estimated 2200 / day when the test showed 2400/day (I'm 6'4", 255). What I found interesting is that my weight loss was a little faster than I expected when I used MFP's numbers. Of course, while I was told this by a doctor and kinesiologist, I'm neither so for you it's hearsay...
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor! 1200 calories is too low for the majority of people. When I was losing weight almost a year ago, there were days when I was at 1200 calories and I felt like I was starving.
  • sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    I've been eating 1200 cals for awhile now and I'm fine. I like to eat once per day. This way I can load my plate up and go to bed full. I stick to water and coffee all day. Works for me.

In January, you posted that you were trying to find ways to eat 3000 calories so you could gain 20 pounds and get to your goal weight of 300 pounds. I guess that didn't work out for you?

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1177601/overweight-people-trying-to-gain-weight/p1

Wow...stalker much? I can't believe you took the time to wade through all my posting history. Well if you all must know I realized how stupid it was and I was giving myself health problems so I stopped. Simple. Been losing weight now and I feel much better. Mystery solved.
  • sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    SaintGiff wrote: »
    I've been eating 1200 cals for awhile now and I'm fine. I like to eat once per day. This way I can load my plate up and go to bed full. I stick to water and coffee all day. Works for me.

In January, you posted that you were trying to find ways to eat 3000 calories so you could gain 20 pounds and get to your goal weight of 300 pounds. I guess that didn't work out for you?

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1177601/overweight-people-trying-to-gain-weight/p1

Mxv6Zpu.gif

LOL thanks for the laughs.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Wow...stalker much? I can't believe you took the time to wade through all my posting history. Well if you all must know I realized how stupid it was and I was giving myself health problems so I stopped. Simple. Been losing weight now and I feel much better. Mystery solved.

Good for you!!!! Good luck with your goals:)

• MartaJas
    MartaJas Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, 1,60m (5´2) tall and weighed 75 kilos (165 lbs) when I started my 1200 calorie diet, nearly seven weeks ago. I should add that i do no exercise whatsoever, I work at a desk all day.
    I'm now 68,5 kilos (151 lbs), have been slowly loosing weight, but feel that this way I can maintain it after I reach my goal weight of 60 kilos (132 lbs). I feel fine, some days better than others. I also began drinking 1,5 litre of water, which I never used to do and I guess this had also contributed to the weight loss. I sometimes feel kinda lightheaded (especially after eating) and also worry if I should increase my calorie intake. I register everything I eat and drink on MFP and I weigh everything I eat. I guess some people might be right when they say we can miscalculate the calorie intake for some reason, being it there are so many guidelines out there.
    Also, I started with 25 muscle and now am 26. Body fat started at 40!!! and I'm now down to 37, nearly 36.
  • ladylovefood
    Options
    hmm i want to try the one meal a day thing i know its probably bad but i need some serious help and fast , i really would like to do a fad diet just to shed some pounds that way its a little more easier to move in the gym does anyone have any suggestions ?
  • melodiefrance
    melodiefrance Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even get started on the numbers. Mine didn't like the word 'diet'. Full stop.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options

Hardly a stalker. I just remember it and was surprised to see you switch gears so drastically.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I always wonder why it's always been, and continues to be 1200, 1200, 1200. That has been the old saw of "minimum healthy calories" forever...for anyone. Under any circumstances...any height...activity level...etc. I just don't see how it's possible that every single person needs that exact amount in order to "be healthy and lose weight." Some people can eat way over that and lose, others need to actually eat under that and lose (usually very very petite people).

What is working for you? :) Stick with that, that would be my opinion (as long as it's nothing totally nutty).

When I went to a nutritionist, she literally gave me a photocopied (I kid you not...it had those tiny dots that showed that it was photocopied...remember those pesky dots from like...the 70s? LOL) "1200 calorie a day diet." I told her, "Well, that's what was recommended to me when I weighed 130 pounds and now you're recommending it to me at 195 pounds, is that really right?" She told me, "No, this is personalized for you." (How???? LOL!) It's just that same old song it's been forever...1200 is where it's at. No, I am not credentialed...but I do know that everyone's body is different. So stick with what seems reasonably healthy and nutritious, doesn't leave you feel like you're about to eat the wallpaper out of desperation, and if you're not losing on what you're eating, then it's time to consider whether you're eating too much...JMO.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

200.gif

my thoughts exactly!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    jal92475 wrote: »
    I haven't been to a general practitioner in years and made myself an appointment finally to discuss my general health and get my flu shot. I mentioned that I had been to the gym before I came and she said that's great. I told her that I'm working on losing weight. I told her that I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. She indicated that was a really low number and I should consider raising my goal. I did explain to her that I eat back the calories I earn from exercise. She felt a little better about that but it just kind of validated what a lot of people say on here. 1200 calories seems to be a little low.

Because it is. *shrug*

What I'd like to know is the probability of success over long term and keeping the weight off after 3 years for the population doing 1200 calories.

My guess would be that the probability is pretty low.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jal92475 wrote: »
    I haven't been to a general practitioner in years and made myself an appointment finally to discuss my general health and get my flu shot. I mentioned that I had been to the gym before I came and she said that's great. I told her that I'm working on losing weight. I told her that I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. She indicated that was a really low number and I should consider raising my goal. I did explain to her that I eat back the calories I earn from exercise. She felt a little better about that but it just kind of validated what a lot of people say on here. 1200 calories seems to be a little low.

Because it is. *shrug*

What I'd like to know is the probability of success over long term and keeping the weight off after 3 years for the population doing 1200 calories.

My guess would be that the probability is pretty low.

Yep.

I learned the hard way, lost weight by doing 1200 calories end up gaining it plus more back. Now I did it the right way, eating more to lose (lost 121 pounds) and now I am at maintenance. Been maintaining for almost 2 months and so far no issues and totaling enjoying it. :smiley:

I lost weight doing mostly between 1600-1900 calories, maintaining at around 2200-2600 depending on exercise.