I can't stand veggies... help!

Options

Replies

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say to steam them and blend them. I add peas & carrots blended into meat-sauces for pasta. You can't taste or feel them at all. Cauliflower pureed into mashed potatoes. Soups and stews are a perfect way to hide veggies (my beef and potato stew tastes like beef, no matter how many veggies I put in).

I also had to spend some time sucking it up and getting over it. It turns out, there's hundreds of veggies and hundreds of ways to prepare them, so my 'I don't like veggies' excuse was just that - an excuse. The tomato sauce and jalapeno pepper on your pizza are veggies, so use them in something else! The pickle and lettuce on your burger are veggies, so try bigger salads with less meat/carbs. The garlic in garlic bread is a veggie. You already like a lot of veggies, even if you only eat junkfood!

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I can eat corn (steamed) and potatoes without problem. I personally eat baked sweet potato fries almost everyday. Just with a little olive oil and seasoning (and sometimes a little ketchup). I also love baked potato wedges, again a little olive oil and seasoning (no ketchup required).

But in order to get green veggies in my diet, I have a green smoothie daily (3 cups spinach or kale or a mix of both, 1.5 cups of frozen fruit, a little juice or water, and a bit of honey to sweeten). It helps me meet my veggie and fruit goal and it makes enough to keep me full until my mid-afternoon snack.

Juicing is another good option.

And think about baking with veggies. Kale chips are so tasty. Also think about using zucchini to make breads and muffins. It's good stuff.
  • LokomotivMordor
    LokomotivMordor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem as OP. For as long as I can remember, I hated every vegetable except carrots. What I've tried to do is eat vegetables mixed in with other foods where the taste is masked, for example curries, stew or chilli. What really worked for me was chopping things like onions and tomatoes REALLY fine, that way I wouldn't bite into a big lump of crunchy onion or pepper and want to gag. I also mash peas and turnip into my potatoes. I've also tried eating new types of veg with an open mind and discovered I love certain ones, such as spinach. Now, while I don't like eating big lumps of vegetables, I miss the flavour they give a dish if I don't use them while cooking. Like others have said I've found is possible to slowly change your taste over time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Do you like meatballs, meatloaf, or similar? A good way to get veggies in is to cook until soft, mash them a bit and add to your ground meats.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the people saying you can make yourself like things. That's just not true. OP, the only veggie I can eat is cooked carrots when hidden in a stew. I honestly ate broccoli every day for a month, and I can tell you I hate it even more now than before I tried doing that. No amount of salt or anything can take that nasty vegetable taste away. I have tried and tried many times. The best I can do is eat meaty soups that have vegetables in them (except corn, because EWWW corn does not belong IN things). I also don't mind the cauliflower mashed potatoes, you should give them a try!
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love veggies and can't imagine not eating them every day but I agree with what some have said, you can't force yourself to like them. I cannot stand avocado, makes me gag, revolting stuff. Experiment, try them roasted with a bit of olive oil or blended into soups, hide them in stuff if that is what works, if you absoutley can't do it then don't stress about it, get your goodness from other sources.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    What about "hiding" them in lasagna or finely grind/puree and mix into your hamburger patties, do this with meatloaf too or mix it into your spaghetti sauce!
    Just get creative :smile:
  • veggiesandkate
    veggiesandkate Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way until I completely re-vamped and cleaned up my diet. Now I love veggies! I mostly like them roasted with seasonings. I started slowly, trying one veggie at a time a couple of months after cleaning up my diet. I didn't love them all but I liked a lot more than I did before.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you hate crunchy textures, just overcook your vegetables - problem solved. Cauliflower and zucchini have very little flavor of their own, making them perfect to put whatever you want on them. I had a bowl of sauteed zucchini earlier with garlic and parmesan, and it was heaven for 75 calories.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    they sell a greens supplement for people like you, look into it.
    pauline nordin eats it on the reg and she is ripped a lot of people seem to like that product, its a means to an end
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was doing really well last year and lost 45 pounds, and then hit a snag with an injury in my ankle. I'm still suffering from it but I've gained 10 pounds back and I really want to try and get healthy again... My main problem is that I can't stand vegetables.

I've been like this my entire life. I have issues with food texture and I hate the crunchy texture of veggies. It makes me gag. The only way I can eat veggies is if I cook and hide them in something else or cook them really mushy and eat them with something else (example, eating carrots with bites of mashed potato to hide the taste). Carrots (cooked) are the only thing I've found I kind of like.

It isn't just the texture of veggies, it's also the taste. I am so jealous of people that love vegetables. It's been a struggle all my life.

If anyone has any suggestions or has experienced this, I'd love to hear from you.

Nope, I don't buy it. You mean to tell me you have had turnips, radishes, jicama, yucca, beets, collards, romanesco broccoli (its really neat and spiraled), more than one type of eggplant, plantains, aaaaalllll the types of peppers, celeriac, broccoli raab, arugula......get my point? I am 24, I have gardened my whole life and I JUST LEARNED last year that I don't like turnips. I eat the greens, never tried a turnip. ever. in 24 years.

Im betting you have written off all vegetables because you don't like the most common ones. my husband is a cucumber/broccoli/iceburg lettuce kind of guy. last year, he realized he likes turnips. he tried it, and he loved it (gross).

branch beyond the tomato-cucumber-carrot stuff.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Curry them or add to lentils (sambar) it makes really filling low cal meals. Eat with 30g (uncooked weight) basmati and dinner sorted! Have lost 16lbs doing having this for dinner most days and leaves enough room for daily treat...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I hate olives. Is there an app for this?

Sorry. I'm really lucky. My grandmother mangled vegetables, so my mom cooked them crisp, which I loved. You could try baked veggie chips as long as they don't have potato in them - not that there's anything wrong with potatoes.

Canned pumpkin is good and smooth - with spices it's great. Just don't eat too much or your palms will turn orange.

• Fuoriclasse
    Options
    I hate the taste of most veggies too, at least by themselves. Like a couple others have said, try to get into juicing or smoothie making. Blending a veggie (or a few) in with fruit really covers up most if not all of the taste of the veggie. Leafy greens (kale, spinach, parsley, etc), carrots, celery, cucumber are some popular choices. My favorite is kale and/or spinach mixed with apple, lemon and a little bit of ginger.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Veggie soups, yum. I'm going to try some new recipes this fall. Tons of soup recipes on the internet. Find a few you think sound good and that have a good amount of veggies in them and give it a try.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of good tips here. I would definitely second a couple of thoughts. Veggies is a huge group; it is hard to believe anyone could hate all of them. Find the ones that you do like and go from there. Try them a variety of ways to see what texture/flavors you do like. Don't eat ones you hate (after giving an honest try and preparing it in a variety of ways), no matter how popular they are in the fitness world. Take baby steps. I.E. -This week I will eat one veggie a day. Try juicing if that is a way for you to get some down as you learn what you do like. Eat fruits with lots of vitamins in them. Put the least offensive ones in other things you like. You said you like soups. Soups are an excellent way to eat veggies. Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    To be frank, this sounds like the little kid who just moans when he sees a carrot on his plate without trying it properly.

"It isn't just the texture of veggies, it's also the taste."

Newsflash - the taste and texture of veggies is not universal.
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you like soups you can put almost any vegetable in a soup. Chicken noodle soup with overcooked carrots and celery is still a good healthy option. Also, "creamed" veggie soups. I eat tons of these. Just one type of vegetable (like zucchini), cut and simmered in chicken broth with onion for about half an hour. Then you put it in the blender and the resulting soup, with spices, is wonderful, creamy without the cream, and very healthy. Adding a dash of cream mutes some of the veggie flavor, that's why I don't like to add it. Other veggie options for the soup: butternut squash, potato and leek, carrots, corn, tomato . . . you get the idea.