Can't squat. How to increase flexibility?

Options
Hey, everyone! I'm new here. I've lost the last few pounds and I think that I really just need to firm up now. I hear everyone say lift heavy weights!! I have seen the difference it's made on my old college roommate and other people and would love to get into it.

Well, my problem is, I cannot squat for the life of me! I have no flexibility. On top of that, I don't have balance! My husband thinks i'm a freak because I cannot squat. Lol. I know i'm not the only one! I can barely sit into the squat (can't go parallel) and have to bend forward to keep my balance. When doing exercises that incororate my hip flexors, they just KILL. I've always had bad hips (and i'm only 29 :-/ ) I would love to do squats and get a shapely behind but I feel like i'm broken! What are some stretches I should be doing and how long should it take for me to be able to preform a proper squat? Or are some people just never able to squat correctly?

Thanks, everyone!!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of these before I start squatting in my workout.

hip-flexor-stretch.jpg

634d021632597ef5_low-squat.jpg

It seems like even though I do squats regularly, my body takes forever to get used to the movement. Just squat as low as you can and hold the position for a few seconds. Get up and then do it again. It's just going to take practice.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You might start by lying down and doing leg raises and just bringing your legs in and holding them. Yoga is also great for flexibility.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Forget about squatting for the time being and get a decent rehab programme in place if you haven't had one already given your medical history.

That will pay dividends over the long term well over the initial cost.
  • bobschmidt21
    bobschmidt21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Here is one thing you can do to stretch your hips. Kneel down on the floor with one knee touching the ground and your opposite foot flat on the floor in front of you. (Take a knee). Then push your hips forward. You should feel a stretch down the front of your back leg. Hold for a few seconds and then switch legs.

Another thing you can try to help stretch is lay on your back and bring one knee up to your chest while keeping the other leg flat. Pull your knee to your chest and hold it there for a few seconds before switching. You should feel the stretch in your hips and glutes.

Try doing squats with no weights. Hold your arms straight out in front of you, keep your back straight up and squat and deep as you can. Perform the move slowly and try to do a few. This will help loosen you up.

To help with balance during the actual squat, do some core stabilizing move like planks and side planks. Get into a push-up position making sure your back forms a straight line from your shoulders to your heels. But instead of holding yourself up by your hands, drop down to your elbows and hold. Try to hold for as long as possible. Your abs and lower back are going to stabilize you as you squat down. If you are leaning forward it means your core might be a little weak.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you poop?

Because- well that's a squat to get to the toilet.

If you have ever gone camping and had to pop a squat outside- that's a squat and working on that position specifically will increase flexibility.

You can use a chair for balance- or practice sitting down on a lower chair.

Usually poor squatting technique is a result of 3 things
    lack of strength to get you there
    lack of flexibility in the hips
    lack of flexibility in the ankles.

Look up goblet squats- and the pry squat- they will both help increase your flexiblity.

Also consider mobility work (such as Kelly Starlett) and a foam roller- to help relieve super tight muscles.

look up ways to open the hips and ankles
    video yourself to check form
    use a chair/railing to help balance
    practice frequently

Almost everyone outside severe medical limitations can squat. You can get better if you put your mind to it.
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I posted a similar question a few days ago and got some great responses here.

Squatting & Flexibility
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Do you poop?

Because- well that's a squat to get to the toilet.

If you have ever gone camping and had to pop a squat outside- that's a squat and working on that position specifically will increase flexibility.

You can use a chair for balance- or practice sitting down on a lower chair.

Usually poor squatting technique is a result of 3 things
    lack of strength to get you there
    lack of flexibility in the hips
    lack of flexibility in the ankles.

Look up goblet squats- and the pry squat- they will both help increase your flexiblity.

Also consider mobility work (such as Kelly Starlett) and a foam roller- to help relieve super tight muscles.

look up ways to open the hips and ankles
    video yourself to check form
    use a chair/railing to help balance
    practice frequently

Almost everyone outside severe medical limitations can squat. You can get better if you put your mind to it.

Actually, I can't squat to pee outside. LOL. I have to prop myself up againt something or with my hands. haha. I feel like an old lady. I notice after the chiropractor I am more flexible. Next time I go I'll have to see if I can squat better!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yoga will absolutely help with flexibility!
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Holly has good advice. I would try to take up some yoga too maybe one day a week. The exercises from yoga will help with your core and hip flexors.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add - just want to say its nice (honestly) to see people being so helpful! :)
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with squats too due to knee replacement. But I can do small ones. Don't try to get all the way down just go as far as you can. You will see the difference. there are many kinds of squats.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if you can get to an exercise pool and do the moves in the water, you will get a different level of resistance and support all over. Helps build all the smaller muscles that are important to good form.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    I am not sure if this forum allows me to post links or not but I would google Defranco's limber 11 stretch routine. It really helped my squatting.

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, and one of the pros on the Stronglifts group posted this:

Try squatting with your back against a wall and no weights.

I tried this just a few times and was amazed at the difference. I very quickly was able to squat low with no weight. When I started with just the bar, I squatted against a bench, so that I could sit down if I felt unsteady. This made a world of difference.

PS. I've been doing yoga for years, (yes, chair pose), yet you don't really squat low in yoga, (below vertical) so this didn't really help.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    BTW, Squat against the wall and try and maintain the squat for a few minutes...
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Progressive over load is your best bet besides myofascial release proper warm up and stretching. Start with body weight box squat perfect perfect form
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I would stop doing the stretch before the workout. Studies are showing that stretching before reduces strength and may contribute to more injury.

Warm ups are still important though.

I stretch after the workout and on my rest days.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    634d021632597ef5_low-squat.jpg

I'm working towards this (pic above) - but right now I still am just kinda hovering because I can't get my feel flat like that. I do 30-60 seconds in a crouched position, balancing with my hands on the floor, after each workout. It's very uncomfortable but I do think I'm improving!

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to improve flexibility in your hips and lower back. Also, you could be quad dominant and not engaging your glutes or hamstrings properly. It's hard to say without seeing you do the movement. Balance issues... You might want to start more basic for a couple weeks to just make some improvement in balance and stability. Maybe just start with something like...

-Reverse Dumbbell Lunges 12-20 reps
    -Dumbell Step-ups (bring your alternate leg up and hold it for 2 seconds) 12-20 reps
    -Single Leg *un-weighted* romanian deadlifts for 8-12 reps (balance and improving hamstring and gluteal strength)
    -Back Raises 12-20 reps
    -Glute Bridges (un-weighted) 12 reps
    -Front & Side Planks (30-sec holds, increase from there)

Do that 2 to 3 days a week for 4 weeks while working on your flexibility and then try to squat again. At that point you may then consider doing Goblet Squats so you can get the movement down. Again, it's hard to give more direct feedback without seeing you move, but consider this as a starting point.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    W31RD0 wrote: »

I would stop doing the stretch before the workout. Studies are showing that stretching before reduces strength and may contribute to more injury.

Warm ups are still important though.

I stretch after the workout and on my rest days.

What studies?