water :(

Options
i can never seem to drink enough water. before i started dieting i was never thirsty, so i thought. but ever since i lowered my calories my tongue and mouth is always dry. even with being thirsty all the time, i still struggle to remember to drink water. i hate full water belly feeling and its just so hard to get into the habit . im just really not a liquid drinker of any kind the only thing i can ever manage to drink more than 6 oz of is alcoholic beverages.

i wonder if i ever will be able to drink enough water :(

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it, honestly. Set a timer on your phone to go off every hour as a reminder to drink 8oz. Bring a water bottle of some sort with you at all times and refill as needed. Soon it'll become a habit, and 8oz/hour shouldn't give you that over-full feeling.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a part of your daily routine. Buy a nice bottle or glass, put an alarm on your phone and drink a little every hour. You won't feel as bloated if you drink it gradually. Keep a glass of water near at every meal.

Also, you could incorporate soup to your diet. It's not much but it's a start.

For me, I drink more if the water is cold. So I always pour a small glass, and as soon as I realize it's warmer, I drink it up and go for a refill.
  • Tom_H_
    Options
    Don't go and drink a full glass of water every time you think your thirsty, just have a glass or bottle of water with you all the time and sip throughout the day, easy and you'll never have that bloated water feeling.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I drink about 150-200 ounces of water per day and have never had that bloated feeling. :/

I just pee every 30 minutes lol.
  • PinUp2014
    PinUp2014 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it, honestly. Set a timer on your phone to go off every hour as a reminder to drink 8oz. Bring a water bottle of some sort with you at all times and refill as needed. Soon it'll become a habit, and 8oz/hour shouldn't give you that over-full feeling.

I keep tabs on how many times I can refill my water bottle a day without feeling sloshy. I've made a game out of, trying to best myself.

A girlfriend of mine started freezing fruit and putting it in her water bottle. It keeps it cold and also gives a bit of flavor.

And, honestly, it helps me keep within my calories. When I'm feeling hungry between meals, I sit down and have a bottle of water first (I have one of those Blender Bottles that hold 24oz). If I'm still hungry after that, then I will find something to eat. Usually, my body is just searching for something to have and water fills that need.

If that still isn't enough, think of your skin, hair, and nails. You need a decent amount of water to have any of the above be strong and attractive.
  • herbertwest7734
    herbertwest7734 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Once you get into the habit of drinking water you start to crave it much more.

Whenever I realize I have not been drinking much/enough water I do things at work like put a glass of water in a spot that I go to frequently. Then everytime I go there I take a drink. It doesn't have to be a huge drink, but by the end of the day it adds up without the feeling of forcing it down or getting that water belly feeling you dislike.
  • brittanyrose90
    brittanyrose90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I never ever drank water until Monday. I absolutely hate the taste of water. I know people say water has no taste but to me it does. Since then I have had more than 8 glasses a day. I put a little bit of Mio water flavour in it. Water is so important for your body. Like someone above me said, you just have to do it. And she's right. It's an important part of the weight loss journey.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Chug it. I drink a big cold glass every morning. Fill the glass up halfway and then drink it again.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of it as having to drink a glass. It's not like you must fill up a glass and drink the whole thing.

Just keep a bottle around and take a sip or two when you think of it.

Unless you have a physical or mental issue that prevents a normal thirst sensation, you can rely on your sense of thirst to carry you. :)

If you drink only water and you drink when you're thirsty, you will take in enough as long as you don't have some kind of problem.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink as much as you are thirsty for. Period.

Unless (as Kalikel said) you have some diagnosed physical or mental problem, your body will tell you how much fluid you need. Worrying about drinking enough water is like worrying about breathing enough air.

Seriously, this whole water obsession has gotten out of hand. There is NO scientific basis for the 8 glasses per day thing. Lots of foods we eat are mostly water (Lettuce, for instance, is about 95% water.)

Here's a citation from National Institutes of Health
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12376390

This BBC article does a nice job of explaining:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24464774

But there are tons of articles out there. All the reputable research now says, Drink as much as you feel like drinking and don't worry about it.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have a water app on my phone it really helps as usually I am busy and forget so having it come up reminds me to go drink
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Agree that there is no health reason for drinking large quantities (1/2 gal+) of water, other than the calories you burn walking to the bathroom. But I do. It provides some non-caloric oral stimulation, which helps me, is healthier than smoking and quieter than chewing gum. At work, I keep a 1.5 l carafe and a glass at my desk. I see the carafe and fill my glass. I drink more that way than if I had to walk to a faucet to fill my glass. I probably drink approx. 3 l a day, though I don't track it.
  • ASNK27
    Options
    I don't drink enough water either... and I never ever crave it. I barely drink 2 bottles a day. Before when I would work out I would reach for water. I know everyone and every website says stuff about water intake but if you're having regular bowel movements and you're drinking some kind of liquid (gatorade, ice tea, coffee, etc) then count it all towards your 8 cups per day. That's what I do.
  • AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a ginormous 64 oz insulated mug at my desk that I fill up in the morning and drink throughout the day. I got it at a gas station. I love it and it stays pretty cold the entire day. I used to struggle to finish one, but yesterday, I drank two of them. Whoa. I did pee like every 15 minutes though. I also have a little reminder note taped to my computer to remind me - my coworkers call it creepy. Ha.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you - I would sometimes go all day without drinking anything but one or two cups of tea. But then my mum (who did exactly the same) got kidney stones and let me tell you from observation that is NOT something you want to go through!! It can be caused by being dehydrated over a long period of time and causes tiny crystals to build up in your kidneys. When I say crystals, I mean sharp, jagged little stones which eventually work themselves out through your pee-hole...the pain is supposed to be worse than childbirth!!

So now I have a pint glass (568ml) on my desk at work and make sure to drink 2 glasses before lunch and 2 after!! I pee a lot, but it's good to cleanse and at least I'm going to get kidney stones!!

I was interested in why you're now more thirsty since you reduced your calorie intake, so I took a peek at your diary. Unfortunately there's a lot of 'quick added calories' so i can't tell what you're actually eating. Do you eat a lot of processed foods or ready-meals? If so, you might be taking on a lot of sodium. This makes you thirsty!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. Other than coffee and wine, I do not drink enough water. I drink my coffee in the am and then I can go all day without the water. If I am working out than that is usually almost 32 oz for me right there. Sometimes I have 12 oz at lunch.

I know that people constantly say that you NEED to drink 64 oz or more of water. Meh drink as much as you can.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can drink more water throughout the day if it's the flavored carbonated kind. I bring 1 with me to work that's 33.8 fl oz and I have to drink the whole thing before I go home. Then I drink another 1 or 2 cups during my workout at night. So that usually puts me at about 5 or 6 cups a day.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've had a kidney stone which my doctor said I could potentially avoid in the future by increasing my water intake. It was the worse pain of my life and I have had two kids. Its not something I want to endure again. So I increased my water significantly. Now, I try to drink between 65 and 80 oz a day. I also drink a cup of tea in the afternoons and 2 cups of coffee in the early morning. As far as my liquids go, thats it. Yesterday I didn't get as much water in...not even sure why. Just didn't. This morning I woke up with a horrid headache and I know its from lack of water. I gone through half a liter and its starting to go away. Your body will tell you how much you need.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You only need to drink enough every day to make your urine light yellow. The old adage about 8 cups isn't really true.
    Just make it a habit to look at your urine when you pee. If it's dark, you need to drink more. If it's clear and light yellow, you're adequately hydrated.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    I drink about 150-200 ounces of water per day and have never had that bloated feeling. :/

I just pee every 30 minutes lol.

^^ This! I drink a lot of water - my body needs it and seems to me, so does yours! Just make sure you account for the bathroom breaks ;)