Weight Loss Without Exercise

Options
I haven't been exercising because I have been recovering from surgery a few weeks ago. I have been up and about this week but not exercising. My goal caloric intake goal is 1200 and I have been averaging 1100. I have lost 3 pounds this week. Question is - when I am eating and exercising normally I have less weight loss success. Average about 1800 calorie burn daily when healthy. What am I missing when healthy. What other factors could be playing a part in the slow weight loss when things are normal? Thanks for the feedback.

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've been sidelined with a back injury for a week and counting. I find overall it is just easier to stick to my calorie goal once my body adjusted to not being as active. Exercise makes me hungry! When healthy you may be over estimating your calories burned with exercising, or eating more than you think you are. Also exercising causes a decrease in inches and weight so weight loss seems to be slower. I'm not a doctor so I am not sure if the surgery/recovery process would effect it at all....but it wouldn't surprise me since your body is under abnormal stress.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cma123 wrote: »
    I haven't been exercising because I have been recovering from surgery a few weeks ago. I have been up and about this week but not exercising. My goal caloric intake goal is 1200 and I have been averaging 1100. I have lost 3 pounds this week. Question is - when I am eating and exercising normally I have less weight loss success. Average about 1800 calorie burn daily when healthy. What am I missing when healthy. What other factors could be playing a part in the slow weight loss when things are normal? Thanks for the feedback.

When you exercise, your muscles will get small tears which will create additional water weight, but generally, if you follow the MFP method, the system can over estimate their calories out. Also, logging factors (such as not using a food scale) will cause other inaccuracies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is very to common to gain or lose weight after surgery. The body is repairing damage done and often adjusting to minuscule damage caused by manipulation. At first, they have you on fluids and that will sometimes add a little, but you're long past that.

Athletes, especially, gain weight after surgery. They're so used to being so very active and they continue eating to their appetite when they aren't moving as much. They actually have programs designed for every kind of injury to help those pro athletes stay in shape as much as possible and all kinds of different stuff for them to do as they improve. There are whole careers based on it.

Some people have a total lack of appetite and lose quite a bit right when they need the extra calories to repair the damage.

Etc., etc. Very common.

Ask the surgeon or doctor about what you should be eating and how much exercise you can do. You will not be the first person to have changes related to the surgery. Promise. :)

I help you feel all better really soon.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've always felt like diet was the biggest contributor to weight loss and exercise really just helped with reshaping your body (strength training) or building stamina. Don't take me the wrong way. Exercise still helps burn calories.

Frankly, in my experience, I lost more weight by diet alone with maybe some bodyweight type exercising when I remembered to do it.
  • cma123
    cma123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback. :)