What is the Hardest Workout You Ever Did?

Options
In my younger days, I did the Beartooth Run in Red Lodge, Montana, USA. It's an 8 mile, 8% grade, uphill, beginning at around 9000 feet elevation. That was about as hard as the last 7 miles of a Marathon I ran.

Last night, I took a break from lifting heavy and did a lower body workout consisting of 20 reps with weight I could barely do on the 20th rep for squats, leg presses, extensions, hamstring curls, and calf raises. At about rep 20, my heart rate was definitely up (reminded me of a HIIT session). I did about 4 sets on all of these, and on each I almost wanted to hurl on the 20th rep.

What was a memorably tough workout you had?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My last session looking for my 1RM with the high bar back squat.
    I found 315# was my 1RM, that was rep 175 of a total of 187 back squats that day. Warmup was 200 body weight squats, and I was doing some walking lunges as my rest sessions for the squatting. It was a tough workout, physically and mentally. A week later I beat that 1RM.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    My last session looking for my 1RM with the high bar back squat.
    I found 315# was my 1RM, that was rep 175 of a total of 187 back squats that day. Warmup was 200 body weight squats, and I was doing some walking lunges as my rest sessions for the squatting. It was a tough workout, physically and mentally. A week later I beat that 1RM.

Man, just the warm up would have smoked me. I would not be able to squat after that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Eh, you work up to it. I'm recovering from being sick right now, so I know it would kill me now, but you could work up to it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I ran up a mountain. Not the whole mountain, but my group walked down a trail to see a waterfall, and I ran the whole way back up the trail. By evening, I was sore, and by the next morning my calves were so sore I could barely hobble.
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Putting down the twinkie. It was rough, soul breaking too.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hill run intervals. Was about 35 years old. Ran at about a 15-20% incline for approx. 100 yards as hard as I could, then jogged around two city blocks to get back to the bottom of the hill. Repeated eight times. Threw up at the end. :)
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It was a job, forest firefighter. Hiking up mountains and swinging a pulaski (axe), 16 hours a day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Physical fitness test in school. Couldn't complete anything and the pull-ups were especially annoying.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Pissed off my drill instructor in Marine Corps boot camp and he destroyed me for two hours. Made me lay a pancho down, fill it up with sweat, pour it out and fill it up again.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The first one.

Seriously... going from nothing to suddenly doing something... was hard as hell. I remember crying (with joy) when I managed to walk a full mile. And then cried when I had to walk all the way back, lol.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Every workout is harder than the last.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    running a full marathon...physically and mentall the hardest thing i've ever done, yet the happiest moment of my life crossing that finish line.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    101 miles on a bicycle, 104 degrees outside and 12,000 feet of climbing.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    4 weeks ago I did a 100km ultramarathon; that was tough.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did a boot camp workout a couple of years ago. I pulled a muscle in my ribs and was in pain for two weeks. Pain so bad the first week that I cried every time I tried to move.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did a boot camp workout a couple of years ago. I pulled a muscle in my ribs and was in pain for two weeks. Pain so bad the first week that I cried every time I tried to move.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    3 days crossing the Negev.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I remember trying to keep up with a buddy of mine who was home from school for the summer. He was a shot/discus thrower and we spent an hour or so doing some weird pyramid circuit... the weights were in a mezzanine, so I had to walk down stairs after we finished. I was feeling the 'burn', but didn't feel too bad until I hit that first step down and my legs buckled... it was an interesting summer.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Putting down the twinkie. It was rough, soul breaking too.

It was the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.........funny, I used the word "was". I still haven't put it down yet.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Pissed off my drill instructor in Marine Corps boot camp and he destroyed me for two hours. Made me lay a pancho down, fill it up with sweat, pour it out and fill it up again.

Thank you for showing me how right I was to not join the Marines 20 years ago.
    Much respect to you for doing it, but damn, that isn't for me.