How often do you have rest days?

Options
Just that really. I have been doing the 30-day shred for the last 18 days, and in that time I have included other exercise every day (gym 3/4 times per week, Biggest Loser Wii game, lots of long walks). So definitely 10+ hours of exercise per week, the most active I have been in ages.

I have been really feeling it the last couple of days; feeling drained and struggling through exercise, despite eating healthily and getting plenty of sleep. I feel I've also been more prone to straining joints and muscles. So I've decided to take today completely off as a rest day, although I feel slightly guilty for doing this as I had planned to go to the gym.

So, how often do you all take breaks from your exercise routines? And would you feel okay incorporating more gentle exercise into a rest day, e.g. moderate walking?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I gym 5 days a week because I just like exercising. My rest days I do a jump rope work out or a true rest day.

Walks on a rest day should be fine. If you feel joints straining it is time to have a break.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I normally have 7 rest days a week. Even then I sometimes feel tired....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Usually two.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I typically take 2 rest days and 1 recovery. My body seems to recover well. If you are struggling through exercise then your body is telling you it needs to rest.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Total 100% rest day? Almost never. Right after a hard race usually, in which case I'll take two or three in a row depending on how I feel. Otherwise I am always doing something even if its an easy 45 minute run, or low-power spin on my bike.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First off - what's a rest day?

A day with 0 physical activity? Almost never.

A recovery day? As often as I need. Sometimes that's once every 10ish days, sometimes it's 4 days a week. All depends on my work load, calorie intake, sleep, stress levels, etc.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    As a rule I don't stop moving. I even fidget when I sit still. ;-) The statistics show that 50% of people who start an exercise program don't stick with it. I wish that were lower.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have one or two rest days a week. I define a rest day as a day when I don't do an actual workout/training session (i.e., no lifting, no timed/measured running.) I might take a walk or play on the playground with my daughter or do some other activity like that though.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I love this response.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I workout Sunday through Thursday, off Friday and Saturday.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Saturday is my rest day. The rest of the week I alternate between gym and running. If something starts hurting in a way I know is unhealthy, I take an extra day. I think you are wise to take today off. It's better than giving yourself an injury that could take you out for weeks or even months.
  • PussyKat
    PussyKat Posts: 69 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the responses - I guess I was thinking of 'rest day' as any day that doesn't include any vigorous physical activity. I hadn't even thought of the difference between a 'rest' or 'recovery day'.

I was intending to go for a walk, but the weather is horrendous today...seems a good excuse as any to rest completely :)
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

Lol.

I like to do cardio one day (such as a 3-5 mile run), the next day strength training with light cardio (walking, short run), then cardio, then strength, etc with usually one day off a week or whatever my body feels like. If I'm extremely worn out one day, I'll take the day off. It's important to listen to your body.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Always one a week, usually on Sundays. Sometimes two.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to get a rest day in. I'm doing 3 different things: running, biking and weights. Some days I do two of those. I think I did have 2 rest days last month, but I didn't want to. Sometimes if I feel sore, it seems like the running makes it better.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    At least one day a week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Three days a week plus a complete rest week every 4-7 weeks typically.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i rest when i sleep
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My days off from exercise are usually Friday and Sunday. I try to workout 4-5 days a week. I missed last night and feel terrible about it today! BUT, sometimes life happens. Just don't make it a habit of taking off whenever feel like it. Sometimes you have to push through the stress, exhaustion, and the "I just don't feel like it" attitude. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Usually 2 for me. I do weights 3 days and cardio (walking) 2 days.