Mamas - help?! Baby shower gift for TOMORROW!

Options
misswhitney1
misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
Crap. I forgot to pick up a gift for a baby shower tomorrow! The guest of honor is 1st time mom expecting twin boys. What's the best thing to bring?

She has a registry, so I can always fall back on that, but I want to get them something super useful and unexpected.

Any mamas have any suggestion for me?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Diapers? Hotel Voucher for her and her partner? Free 1 week babysitting?

I am not a mom. lol If I had a child, I might enjoy getting these things.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    yes diapers....not newborn either..size 1. Clothes for when they are a little older. They grow so fast!
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How about a bunch of home made frozen meals? Is that helpful?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    The best thing a Mother can get are Diapers and little Onesies. babies go through these like crazy and are quite expensive to keep buying , so will be appreciated! Decorate a large basket and fill it up! :D
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes to everything. Also, a baby care kit with nose aspirator, thermometer,; medicine dropper and spoon and a tiny pair of nail clippers. Then go for $10-15 and are in a nice zippered case. So helpful over the years. Sleepers or a swaddler which is like a tailored blanket with velcro that keeps the baby wrapped up snug. A gift for the mom is always appreciated. A bath set or something you know she will like. :)
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Mom but a Dad and diapers are always needed. Bottles, nipples and the like are helpful but you would need to know what type she thinks she will be using. Onesies, baby blankets, burping towels, baby socks, or you could just get a gift card to a baby shop so that she can get what she wants when she needs it. I know, the card is a little impersonal but she'll appreciate having it when the time comes.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    the best thing a new mom can get it HELP! Not related to baby....do the dishes, clean the house, laundry and buy food. Seriously this is the BEST GIFT
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So funny I am going to a baby shower tomorrow too and did the same thing today! Sign children's books instead of giving a card. Take photos at the shower and give her the best one framed afterward. Give cash. No one will ask for it, but that's what we all need.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Twin boys - how fabulous! I've given cash before - put it in a little trinket box or something so it looks like a gift rather than just a card. That way she can use it for things for the babies - or open a savings account for each of them even if its just a small amount.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Go for practical and useful.

Diaper cream, diapers (not newborn size), pack n play, rock n play, receiving blankets, etc. If your friend is going to bottle feed, maybe get her one of those steamer cleaner things for the bottles, bottle brushes, etc. If she's going to pump/breastfeed.... breast milk storage bags, nursing pads, lanisoh, etc.

Don't get clothes though. Seriously, she probably already has a billion clothes already. If you really feel compelled to get clothes, get something in the 6+ month range, but be considerate of what season it will be when they are 6 months.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Coupons for house cleanings. You won't BELIEVE how much they're appreciated!
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am with the folks who say skip the clothes. We had dozens of NB and 3 month sized outfits our girls never wore. Even sleepers. Some babies don't sleep well in one kind or another.

Gift card is a great idea. We got several to Target and those were so appreciated. Perhaps it seems impersonal to the gift giver, but the gift receiver will likely think it's amazingly thoughtful.

If you want more of a personal touch, you can bring food in the first month or so . I kind of thought it was bonkers that people told me before our daughters arrived that they would bring us food... like I was going to give birth and suddenly forget how to feed myself and my hubby. But when the girls arrived it was awesome! My boss brought lasagne and cut up watermelon... I wanted to kiss her. Again, this was moms/dads bringing the food -they knew how tired they'd been in the beginning. And they also knew to bring the food, say hello, and head out. Houseguests are not so welcome when you are running on 35 minutes of sleep and have been in the same yoga pants for three days... just saying ;) So, you could organize a meal dropoff (there are online sites to facilitate this) or make some sort of card to let her know you will be doing this.

Re the registry, I resisted putting stuff on a registry because I felt awkward about it, but my friends with kids pushed me to do it and helped me pick stuff out. Boy was I glad I did (with their help) because people bought off it and I got things I needed, without duplication. So, if you do end up buying off the registry, know that she will be very appreciative.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I registered, I registered for things I really needed, not a lot of fluff, so I was so grateful when people got things from the registry. (It also made returning duplicate items way easier.) I can't tell you how many people got me "Goodnight Moon" book thinking it was unique. I think I had 5 copies by the time I was done. Gift cards were super helpful too. As far as non-essential items go...it really differs from mom and child. I personally don't have a lot of space in my apartment, so I didn't want tons of crap that wasn't going to be used. I also had a friend get a ton of the same diaper creams and then her baby was getting a rash from it (and she had like 10 bottles of it from her showers...haha). So...I guess what I'm saying is.....stick with the registry. :)