Hidden Diary

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,655 Member
    Options
    How do I make my diary not private? I agree. I love to see what other people are eating!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up; it frustrates me, honestly. I allow friends to see mine, I should be able to see theirs; this is why we're here.
  • jazzy_45
    jazzy_45 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well my diary is private, but I guess that doesn't matter anyways because I have no friends on here lol. I'm a private person and if I need help or suggestions I turn to the forums.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't need anyone's advice on how to eat, and unless you are willing to train 15-18 hours of cardio a week, I doubt anyone will get anything interesting out of seeing my massive calorie intake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up; it frustrates me, honestly. I allow friends to see mine, I should be able to see theirs; this is why we're here.

Might be why you're here, but it's not why everyone is here. There are thousands and thousands of people on this website, why would you assume they are all here for the exact same reason you are? If you friend someone and their diary is closed and that is important to you, then unfriend them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Here's a more recent discussion where people include a lot of the reasons they choose to keep their diary private. It might be a worthwhile read for you. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10015213/why-doesnt-everyone-make-their-diary-public/p1
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Why is it anyone's business?

My friends are more than welcome to look at mine. I'm not hiding anything, but if I'm not going to let someone stalk my profile if we aren't "friends," then I'm not going to open myself to the hateful or the weirdo to get all up in my food-diary. But I rarely look at anyone else's diary, unless they ask me to. Because it's none of my business. I know how to google recipes for my diet of choice. They are grown-*kitten* people and can handle themselves. I have 4 kids, and I'm not interested in being any one else's momma.

I think I'm not the only one here who doesn't care whether or not anyone else likes how I do things.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I always choose private. It's my default choice.

Checking out what strangers are eating and then make nasty comments about it is weird and creepy. And just plain nuts. If someone gets mad that they can't see what I had for lunch, all the more reason to keep it closed, lol.

I never eat anything of any interest and I don't think any normal person really gives a crap what I had to eat. If I thought someone had a genuine interest, I'd tell them...but nobody does.
  • Deps
    Deps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    See I'm the opposite. I would be less inclined to put bad food in if other people COULD see my diary, for fear of what they would think. At least at the end of the day now I can see if I've gone 600 calories over because of a stupid decision and I'll think twice before doing it again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Well, you see... it's not actually about you. At all.

And no, it's not "why we're here". I'm not here to look at what others eat, or to have them look at what I'm eating. I'm here to use a calorie counting tool, keep track of what I eat, entertain myself on the forums, maybe get some ideas.

I do not get this sense of entitlement. Do you also complain that the neighbours keep their shades drawn when you'd like to see what they've done with their living room? I mean... why live in the suburbs if not to show off your house?

I wouldn't use MFP if my diary was forced public, not because I'm hiding, not because I'm ashamed, but because, dear random stranger on the internet, what I stick in my mouth is none of your damned business. And your nosiness doesn't get to override my desire for privacy.

Because... it's not about you.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

And no, it's not "why we're here". I'm not here to look at what others eat, or to have them look at what I'm eating. I'm here to use a calorie counting tool, keep track of what I eat, entertain myself on the forums, maybe get some ideas.

I do not get this sense of entitlement. Do you also complain that the neighbours keep their shades drawn when you'd like to see what they've done with their living room? I mean... why live in the suburbs if not to show off your house?

I wouldn't use MFP if my diary was forced public, not because I'm hiding, not because I'm ashamed, but because, dear random stranger on the internet, what I stick in my mouth is none of your damned business. And your nosiness doesn't get to override my desire for privacy.

Is there a 'standing ovation' smiley? there should be.

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Is there a 'standing ovation' smiley? there should be.

More! More of this! Woop! Woop!! :D
    (the nearest I could find to a standing ovation smiley

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, we aren't ALL here for the same reason. Not everybody is on MFP for the support of strangers or to share the gory details with the public. It's nobody else's business what I'm doing unless I choose to make it their business. B)
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options

^^^This.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I don't know what you're on about. It is always all about me. I need to know what everyone is eating at all times. It is the only way!

I suspect sarcasm will get me into a lot of trouble one day.

Impressive necro too! There's been a lot of that lately.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, sometimes it's lovely and healthy and other times it's not - that's life. I don't accept friends that don't have open diaries.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, sometimes it's lovely and healthy and other times it's not - that's life. I don't accept friends that don't have open diaries.

That's your choice, but you're missing out on some amazingly knowledgeable and suuportive people who happen to think differently than you on this.