reluctant to try Quest bars ... or any protein bar

Options
So in first year university I gained about 7-8 pounds and that year was also when I started to eat protein bars. I only ate protein bars with the lowest sugar/fat and highest protein (PURE PROTEIN bars - 4.5g of fat, 21g of protein, 17g of carbs). I've always been fit and through out that year I had still been working out a good amount. Although the weight gain was probably attributable to me having moved out for the first time, being subject to cafeteria food OFTEN (although I tried to pick healthy choices), and all the stress university brought, I am still reluctant to get back into protein bars. Even though I lost that gained weight after getting my diet under control and giving up the protein bars, I would still like to up my protein. I've heard lots of accusations of Quest bars not have accurate nutrition information and it makes me suspicious because everyone says they taste so good and are too good to be true. Can I really trust Quest bars? I think I am just extra skeptical due to my bad experience/weight gain during the only time in my life I had been eating protein bars daily. Thanks.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What do you expect the proten bars to do for you in regards tro your goals?

Protein bars are not magical, they will not facilitate weight loss without a consistent calorie deficit.

Two questions:
    1. Are you lifting heavy weights regularly?
    2. Do you find it difficult to reach your protein goals without protein bars or supplements?

If you answered "no" to either question, then you most likely do not need protein bars, as they will do nothing to help you reach your goal. They have no special properties, or any real bearing on weight loss.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like Quest bars. They all tend to taste the same and have no texture. I only use protein bars as a meal replacement or a snack - and make sure they fit into my calories goals. My favorite bars are Atkins bars.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    there are no bad foods, only bad diets. A protien bar does not fix or break a diet.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Now I love quest bars its funny how people are so different.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    that being said, I dont buy quest bars because they cost too much.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do eat Quest bars on occasion but only as a snack and I fit them into my daily calories. I think you gained weight because you were eating too much, it had nothing to do with the protein bars.

• BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I love quest bars too.. I eat them almost everyday and have lost 63 lbs in 5 months.. No sweat

edit: Only reason I don't eat them everyday: I just ran out on Wednesday!!!! Check my diary if you don't believe me :open_mouth:
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're logging Quest bars, go off the macros rather than the calories. Fit it into a calorie deficit and it won't make you gain weight. Remember, 1g of carbs or protein = 4 calories, 1g of fat = 9 calories. Do the maths. I love them by the way, and all the fibre is great for keeping you full.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your weight gain was not DUE to the protein bars. Lots of people get the freshman 15 without eating any protein bars. If you like them and they work for you in terms of calories then eat them. If you don't like them, don't. There are ways to get protein without eating protein bars. I personally don't touch them because I hate the taste, even Quest bars. So I end up eating a TON of egg whites, some cheese and chicken or fish almost every day. If I don't have enough protein by the end of the day, I'll microwave a cup of egg whites as part of my dinner (27 grams of protein in 135 calories). So you can get a lot of protein without protein bars if you don't want to eat them.
  • stef0006
    Options
    I was thinking of incorporating them into my diet when I'm on the go and don't have time for a sit down meal. OR using quest bars instead of regular granola bars OR even subbing them in for whatever junk food/chocolatey craving food i would allow myself for that day.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    stef0006 wrote: »
    ...OR using quest bars instead of regular granola bars OR even subbing them in for whatever junk food/chocolatey craving food i would allow myself for that day.

This is what I do. If I'm craving chocolate or something sweet in the afternoon, I have their chocolate chip cookie dough bar, warmed up in the microwave. Better than eating cookies.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I actually quit Quest bars for a while and started eating them again a week ago... and I just forgot how filling they are, with all that fiber. Definitely doesn't compare to the other protein bars out there, which are delicious but really not as filling.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 quest bars per day. They're fantastic. They didn't make you gain weight, overeating did. The fact that you were eating protein bars was just a coincidence. But if you were working out there is a good chance that some of that weight was muscle, so thats always a good thing.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth so bars help me with that. I like Quest, chocolate chip or fudge brownie. I don't find all the flavors that great. I prefer Cliff Bars as far as taste and price goes. I have no problem losing as long as I log them along with everything else. I have been experimenting making my own Quest bars lately because I find $2 a little high for a bar. If someone hadn't posted that recent deal for two boxes for $24 deal, I probably wouldn't have any in my house right now.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Where are Quest bars sold? I cannot find them locally and don't want to order from Amazon without giving them a taste test. I've tried a variety of protein bars and shakes and most taste like...protein bars, no matter what the package says it's supposed to taste like. Not a huge fan of that taste and I wouldn't mind something a little more flavorful.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    GNC is where I found them. REI as well.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Last protein bar I had, I became addicted to. NO NO. But then again, that's just me. You may have greater luck!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What are you all paying for quest bars? I see them on sale here for $5, and that's just waaay too much for me to even consider!!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Wow they just look like junk food to me. I would not eat them on a regular basis. They are highly processed. And sometimes its the processes involved that are the problem, e.g. with vegetable oils.

if you want more protein, eat protein foods. A can of king oscar sardines is fantastic food. And nowhere near anything like $5 a can. The calories are modest too.

Whereas the quest bar is only 20grams of food for 160 calories. That makes it a calorie dense food. You are better off eating 20grams of nuts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've never paid more than $2 for them... Typically it's less than that because I only buy them on sale. I was surprised to see them at Shop Rite too but they are $2.50 there.

I honestly much prefer other 'protein' bars for taste (pure protein, cliff etc), but yeah, no other bar fills me up as much as a Quest bar.