What is the Hardest Workout You Ever Did?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Officially feeling like a wimp after reading this thread, lol! For me it's my elliptical workouts, HIITs for an hour with high resistance, I go all out and it leaves me totally beat.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The Mud Run at Camp Pendleton Marine Base
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    101 miles on a bicycle, 104 degrees outside and 12,000 feet of climbing.

Did you find the one hill in the midwest and do laps? lol.

That sounds brutal.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Four people, one of them on the tractor, one driving the truck, 1200 bales of hay, finished up after dark driving next to the tractor so the guy baling could see by the truck headlights. got it in before rain, but well after the dew, so we had damp, heavy bales and lost many to mold. easily the worst day ever. Even the men a third my age were stumbling with exhaustion.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Five hours in a white water kayak against the current just to get a 15 minute rush coming back down.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Smolov, and it was only the Jr. version.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, thinking of GVT or Smolov here soon, once LP stalls.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The Spartan Sprint, 2 years ago, after absolutely no training or regular exercise of any kind for the year prior. 4.5 hours of pure Hell and the hardest thing I've ever done.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The hardest workout I ever did was my first session at my highest weight ever 235 pounds. I was over weight and out of shape. I was self conscious and very intimidated. Glad I got over it
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options

x2 for Smolov.... Only managed the Base meso, that was brutal enough!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    The Yorkshire three peaks challenge; 24.5 miles and 3 mountains in 11 hours.

The Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge takes in the peaks of Pen-y-ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough, usually in this order, and in under 12 hours. These peaks form part of the Pennine range, and encircle the head of the valley of the River Ribble, in the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Of course I was 11 at the time.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    In my younger days, I did the Beartooth Run in Red Lodge, Montana, USA. It's an 8 mile, 8% grade, uphill, beginning at around 9000 feet elevation. That was about as hard as the last 7 miles of a Marathon I ran.

Last night, I took a break from lifting heavy and did a lower body workout consisting of 20 reps with weight I could barely do on the 20th rep for squats, leg presses, extensions, hamstring curls, and calf raises. At about rep 20, my heart rate was definitely up (reminded me of a HIIT session). I did about 4 sets on all of these, and on each I almost wanted to hurl on the 20th rep.

What was a memorably tough workout you had?

I have a pal on MFP who did the Beartooth run this summer and he lives in the area and it still sounded quite difficult. I live in Montana and it is going to be on my bucket list.

I did the 20 back squat program and almost passed out every time. Start at 60% of your 1 rep max and do 20 unbroken squats. Each session I added 5 pounds. Did it 2x per week for 6 weeks. Racing heart, nearly lost consciousness.

I recently did a Crossfit Hero WOD called the Seven that I found super-challenging: 7 rounds for time of: 7 Handstand Push Ups, 7 Thrusters, 135(men) /95 lbs (women), 7 Knees To Elbows, 7 Deadlifts, 245/175 (women) lbs 7 Burpees, 7 Kettlebell Swings, 2/1.5 pood, & 7 Pull-ups. Took me like 35 minutes and around round 4, I started to hate myself and life in general. Around middle of round 5, I could start to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    The first time I went cross country skiing. I thought it would be fun, like downhill skiing is. No. Very much no. I have never been so hot (from the exertion) and cold (from the weather) at the same time. Since I was with a group of people I had to stick it out for four miserable hours.

Another memorable one was the time I went on a 10 mile hike in the summer with no water. It was an impromptu "hey let's walk to that mountain over there". It really didn't *seem* like it was 5 miles away when we started. So.very.thirsty.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    habit365 wrote: »
    The first time I went cross country skiing. I thought it would be fun, like downhill skiing is. No. Very much no. I have never been so hot (from the exertion) and cold (from the weather) at the same time. Since I was with a group of people I had to stick it out for four miserable hours.

Good one! I remember the first time I tried it. I went somewhere 100 miles from my house, stopped at my parents' house on the drive home, laid done prone on the floor and passed out like that. Totally takes it out of you!
  • trungalung
    Options
    Squat day - back squat then follow by split squat (finish with some leg and ab work outs). My HIIT session is nothing compare to this as my heart wants to explode with every rep. I always get DOMS on the next day.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Pull-ups. I still cannot. I can dangle, though :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I went hiking the south west coast path around Cornwall this year. 2 weeks carrying 15kg, sleeping in a rubbish tent in far too cold weather and hiking around 150 floors up and down every day.

Stunning views in between and we went slowly with lots of breaks (it was a holiday) but boy there were some really hard bits in there and the pain in the mornings
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love x-country skiing!!! It's very difficult, but you feel so nice after. The best way to end a day of x-country skiing with with a big, hot meal and a beer or two. ;)

For me, I think the most difficult workout would be the first time I completed a triathlon. OMG! It was intense. My lungs were burning the entire time. I felt like I could never recover properly.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Labor / delivery.
    It has all of what y'all are describing - pain, sweat, buckling legs, hitting the wall, marathon time expending energy, passing out.

51637601.png
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    On the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I did the Memorial stair climb at Red Rocks. It consisted of the mile and a half hike in from the car and 9 laps around the entire stadium to simulate the 110 stories of the WTC.

You didn't *have* to finish it, but as soon as I saw the firefighters in full gear with tanks, and kids ON TOP of their tanks - I was going to finish it. And I did, and collapsed back in the car for an hour before I could push the clutch in.

I spent the next day in bed, as I couldn't make it down the stairs, and couldn't wear heels for 2 weeks. Believe it or not, going down the stairs was the worst by the end. And yeah, I did train for this for 2 months before hand. >.<