Low calorie pasta?! REALLY?

Options
I'm still having a hard time digesting how low calories these noodles are. They taste exactly the same as regular pasta except there's a hint of pumpkin taste to it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it is hard finding low calorie noodles. How trustworthy are nutrition labels?

3iogx9tyo6a1.jpg
8n4dvx95nqer.jpg

Replies

• begoodjen
    begoodjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whoa...where did you get this??
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I feel like that can't be possible...it's not like the ingredients are completely different from regular pasta (except the pumpkin - and I don't know what Konjac powder is). I don't think I would feel right trusting it...
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bought this from an asian market. Im surprised as well, I even peeled off the sticker to see the actual nutrition facts from the package, same information. Yea, I definitely feel unease after eating that! Wheat flour suppose to have high cal but I'm just wondering :P
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dunno how legit this is but I thought any kind of pasta is ~350kcal/100g, I'd love to be proved wrong as a pasta lover
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash works just as fine as well and costs about $3-4 and half the cals of that stuff
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Did you actually read what you're looking at? It's actually 350 calories.

1x9 = 9 (fat)
    73x4 = 292 (carbs)
    12x4 = 48 (protein)

Total = 349 calories.

Nutritional information labels are often inaccurate, but this one is currently the winner.

That is, unless you have found a new magic food where carbs and protein do no have 4 calories per gram.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    A cup of regular cooked pasta only has 200 calories. I don't personally find 80 saved calories to be that big of a deal? (If that nutritional information is even right!)
  • kitkatkarr
    Options
    haha im no expert in reading nutrition labels but this is indeed interesting.
  • kitkatkarr
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    spaghetti squash works just as fine as well and costs about $3-4 and half the cals of that stuff

yes! I've tried that before and definitely will make more in the future :)
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options

1x9 = 9 (fat)
    73x4 = 292 (carbs)
    12x4 = 48 (protein)

Total = 349 calories.

I think that says it all... Ill stick with my whole grain Barilla at 200 Cal.. I love pasta too...
  • tracie_minus100
    Options
    Did you actually read what you're looking at? It's actually 350 calories.

1x9 = 9 (fat)
    73x4 = 292 (carbs)
    12x4 = 48 (protein)

Total = 349 calories.

Nutritional information labels are often inaccurate, but this one is currently the winner.

That is, unless you have found a new magic food where carbs and protein do no have 4 calories per gram.

That makes a lot more sense.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Konjac flour is actually from a type of Japanese yam. Shirataki noodles are made of this and come out being 0 net carb, and very low to no calorie dependant on whether it has a tofu blend to them or not.

I love shirataki noodles, but have to be prepared correctly to be edible (as far as I'm concerned). there's a shirataki thread in the Recipes forum if you want more information.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time believing that there is 12g of protein in there.
  • tracie_minus100
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    Konjac flour is actually from a type of Japanese yam. Shirataki noodles are made of this and come out being 0 net carb, and very low to no calorie dependant on whether it has a tofu blend to them or not.

I love shirataki noodles, but have to be prepared correctly to be edible (as far as I'm concerned). there's a shirataki thread in the Recipes forum if you want more information.

Yes, the shirataki noodles are extremely low calorie (and disgusting, IMO lol). But the noodles in the picture contain wheat flour as the second ingredient so I just don't believe these can be that low.
  • kitkatkarr
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »

yes! I just bought some as well. I'm on it!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Squash isn't spaghetti. It's string squash.

QFT

• InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kitkatkarr wrote: »

yes! I've tried that before and definitely will make more in the future :)

You can also put zucchini or yellow squash through spiral vegetable cutter(you can get cheapo ones for ~$15) if you want to save some more money on the produce and want it to be cooked quicker.