Remaining calories

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Understand that the intake is. This is all about variables. 2lbs a week is still more, so why set a goal of 1lb when it seems like he is naturally doing 4lbs a week? I agree is needs to eat more, does he need to force himself to eat 2xxx? Maybe not

Water weight drops are huge. Water weight drops do not last. Daily fluctuations happen, and can be more or less up to five pounds or more per day.

This is not a consistent plan, nor will it be a consistent weight loss. Telling the OP to restrict their intake more when the amount they have it set to is perfectly fine isn't a good idea. If you also look at the OP's diary, they are skipping meals and barely eating enough to cover workouts and their BMR.

2,400 is not a large amount, especially if you fit in a few calorie dense foods (eg: peanut butter, avocado, ect).

• fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little for a short, inactive woman at the lower end of a healthy BMI ... never mind what a 5'7, 218lb male needs. Your logging shows a net of around 700 calories per day ... missing every macronutrient goal.
    The tone of my post?what is that supposed to mean?

It means you have an app telling you that you're undereating, and you keep asking is it good .. will you lose faster ... etc. You will lose a lot of weight that way ... from muscle, fat, bone ... all while risking permanent damage ...

QFT
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I used to see this all the time on WW...often it was the "honeymoon period." You just started? Sometimes, with a new way of eating, and especially focusing on health (macros, etc.), people would be surprised they felt as satisfied as they did on what used to look to them like SO little food. Once they started doing it, they'd think, "Hey, I don't feel like I'm starving" and would kind of ride that wave for a few days. Within about two weeks, they'd be saying, "Okay...all of a sudden I'm grateful for every point I'm allowed!"

Not saying this is definitely you. Just putting it out there as one possibility as it's something I've observed (including in myself) and I don't know you personally, so am just throwing a possibility out there.

If it continues and you just can't seem to eat enough to healthfully sustain yourself (i.e. you're getting dizzy or have other symptoms and/or you can not seem to make yourself eat enough to reasonably get in your macros), or if it just goes on and on and you never do start feeling hungry again, you might see a doctor. Something physical could be going on, or something psychological that's staying beneath the surface. But only a couple of days...I personally wouldn't worry about it. Again, that's just how I view it myself, I don't know you, your lifestyle, your overall health or anything else and I don't want to be sitting here saying "Oh, it's totally healthy" when I don't know for a fact that it is. Good luck, hope you get into your groove soon!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Understand that the intake is. This is all about variables. 2lbs a week is still more, so why set a goal of 1lb when it seems like he is naturally doing 4lbs a week? I agree is needs to eat more, does he need to force himself to eat 2xxx? Maybe not

So when a person on MFP drastically undereats, just up the weekly goal so it doesn't look as bad? Is that really what you're advocating?

The OP is netting 704.5 calories per day. That is the problem and far too low no matter what the setting for a weekly loss goal on a website may be.
  • monarchysix9
    monarchysix9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My work keeps me very active, the reason I put on so much weight was unhealthy eating habits such as McDonald's pizza fast food etc... The way I came up with that amount for a goal was when asked how much weight I want to loose I put 2 pounds a week and it gave me something about its unhealthy to try to aim for a high number. So I kept it at a reasonable 1 pound per week. Would you guys say by looking at my diary am I eating healthy enough?
  • brianpperkins
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My work keeps me very active, the reason I put on so much weight was unhealthy eating habits such as McDonald's pizza fast food etc... The way I came up with that amount for a goal was when asked how much weight I want to loose I put 2 pounds a week and it gave me something about its unhealthy to try to aim for a high number. So I kept it at a reasonable 1 pound per week. Would you guys say by looking at my diary am I eating healthy enough?

NO!

• monarchysix9
    Options
    zu1l5y7x69q4.jpg
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You're just building more of a case that you're not eating enough. 704.5 net calories according to your diary is not enough for a short, older, sedentary woman. You keep highlighting you are an active male.

• missiontofitness
    Options
    zu1l5y7x69q4.jpg

I don't know why you're posting this, because this does not change any of the answers you have gotten saying so far that this is not a good idea, and you are doing damage to your body.

• missiontofitness
    Options
    You're just building more of a case that you're not eating enough. 704.5 net calories according to your diary is not enough for a short, older, sedentary woman. You keep highlighting you are an active male.

I think it's pointless to continue arguing semantics. None of our posts have been listened to thus far.

And I completely agree with you.
  • brianpperkins
    edited November 2014
    Options

I think it's pointless to continue arguing semantics. None of our posts have been listened to thus far.

Strother Martin said it best in Cool Hand Luke.
    "What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Strother Martin said it best in Cool Hand Luke.
    "What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men."

agree.gif

OP, please reread the responses you got earlier on. What you are doing is not conducive to your goals, and is incredibly unhealthy. You've already gotten good input on reaching the goal MFP has set for you, and what you shouldn't be doing.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I used to see this all the time on WW...often it was the "honeymoon period." You just started? Sometimes, with a new way of eating, and especially focusing on health (macros, etc.), people would be surprised they felt as satisfied as they did on what used to look to them like SO little food. Once they started doing it, they'd think, "Hey, I don't feel like I'm starving" and would kind of ride that wave for a few days. Within about two weeks, they'd be saying, "Okay...all of a sudden I'm grateful for every point I'm allowed!"

Not saying this is definitely you. Just putting it out there as one possibility as it's something I've observed (including in myself) and I don't know you personally, so am just throwing a possibility out there.

If it continues and you just can't seem to eat enough to healthfully sustain yourself (i.e. you're getting dizzy or have other symptoms and/or you can not seem to make yourself eat enough to reasonably get in your macros), or if it just goes on and on and you never do start feeling hungry again, you might see a doctor. Something physical could be going on, or something psychological that's staying beneath the surface. But only a couple of days...I personally wouldn't worry about it. Again, that's just how I view it myself, I don't know you, your lifestyle, your overall health or anything else and I don't want to be sitting here saying "Oh, it's totally healthy" when I don't know for a fact that it is. Good luck, hope you get into your groove soon!

I was thinking Honeymoon Period too. You've only logged a few days. I can see two possibilities:

1) This too shall pass. In a few days time you will suddenly feel super hungry and have the choice between accepting that you've been eating too little and changing your game plan or eating enough to make up for it, calling it a 'binge' and feeling discouraged.

2) Being overweight had damaged the system in your body which tells you whether you are hungry or full. You are no longer capable of feeling either of these two. You will be able to sustain eating a low intake indefinitely, although your body might suffer.

• monarchysix9
    Options
    No I have been listening and I'm not arguing with anyone, I asked for help maybe because I don't know what I'm doing. I got the point that I'm not eating enough. I'm only asking for help and I appreciate to those who answered me.
  • monarchysix9
    Options
    Oishi your correct I have only been working out for 2 weeks and on this website for maybe 2 days this is my third day I believe. I came here for help on this journey to get fit. And like I said thank you to who responded.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Your diary makes me sad. I would be going insane eating what you've logged, and I'm a short woman. I'm currently losing on 1650, so you can lose weight eating way more than you are!

The point isn't to survive on as little food as possible, it's to eat as much as you can while still losing weight. Food is just fuel, and you need it to keep your body operating at its best. Take 4 weeks and eat what MFP tells you to eat. Work on logging as accurately as possible and learn all the little tricks to the MFP database. After that, all your water weight losses will have calmed down and your body will have adjusted to your intake, so you can make intelligent changes to your plan based on the data you've collected. Right now, you're just making wild guesses and hoping that you stumble on something that works for you, and that's super inefficient.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    No I have been listening and I'm not arguing with anyone, I asked for help maybe because I don't know what I'm doing. I got the point that I'm not eating enough. I'm only asking for help and I appreciate to those who answered me.

You can incorporate more calorie dense foods to meet your goals. And there's no need to eat "clean" all time time. You can moderate what you want with foods that are considered "healthy" as well.

There's absolutely no need for a male to be eating 1,100 a day. Add some peanut butter and toast to breakfast, and homemade guacamole on a burger for dinner, and you can add several humdred calories just through the PB and avocado.
  • monarchysix9
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that answered. Hopefully by next week my diary looks way different. But I do appreciate everyone who took their time to write something.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP makes it simple. You eat the amount it tells you to. If you eat that amount, you will lose weight. **
    **Note: The calories added for exercise.... most people say that MFP amounts for exercise are over-estimated, some people only eat half of those calories.

My favorite ways to add calories are: peanut butter sammich and a big glass of milk.... and ice cream.... can't forget the ice cream.

Make sure you measure your food and log accurately and you should start seeing results! Get plenty of protein.
  • carmenbeau
    carmenbeau Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    G'day...........I've just realised that this post is ancient but maybe I'll get a response......I'm totally confused about the cal remaining too....I eat about 1800 cal,brisk walk daily for 1 hour,walk the dog daily 30 mins,do standing cardio 3 times a week for 30 mins,daily steps between 18,00 and 20,000........I am 59 fem wanting to lose .5 pound per week.........my calories in/out reads food - 1676 active +1568 remaining cal 1,412.........I am hoping I'm on the right track