Body Fat %

Options
How can a bathroom scale possibly tell you your body fat %?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    It can't.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No idea. I wanna get one tho
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Those scales are way off and not worth the extra money. Invest in calipers that you can buy at GNC and/or a tape measure and you will be better off.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Eye test is the best IMO. Take photos in the mirror at the same angle and lighting every once in a while.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    111YoYo111 wrote: »
    How can a bathroom scale possibly tell you your body fat %?

It takes your weight, age and height then its suppose to send a electric pulse in one foot and out the other...They do not work...Well mine sucks anyways...
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Mine says i am 32 %. What do you think ?? See profile pic
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The concept is that by measuring resistance in the body you can tell the composition of the body. If the scales could be calibrated to the person, they would probably work, but if they're calibrated to the average person then they will only work for an average person.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    missdibs1 wrote: »

Obviously not accurate!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Different body fat % question. When I started losing weight, my Dr. calculated my % using a DXA scan. Now that I've lost weight, can I recalculate by subtracting my weight loss from my DXA weight? If not, how much muscle loss should I assume?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Different body fat % question. When I started losing weight, my Dr. calculated my % using a DXA scan. Now that I've lost weight, can I recalculate by subtracting my weight loss from my DXA weight? If not, how much muscle loss should I assume?

You won't know unless you take another measure of BF%. Doing another DXA would be idea but you can still get close using other methods. It's hard to just guess your BF% loss since it depends on a lot of factors such as your diet, exercise and genetics.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Those scales are way off and not worth the extra money. Invest in calipers that you can buy at GNC and/or a tape measure and you will be better off.

Just a tape measure can tell you that? How so?
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Here's one method: http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/military-body-fat-calculator.html
    The calculations are based on the Circumference Method, developed by the military (U.S. Navy and U.S. Army) for estimating percent of body fat.

While a skin fold test using a body fat caliper is considered to be the most accurate, this calculator will allow to get a close estimate without having to go out and buy a caliper.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

A lot of people on MFP seem to think bioimpedance scales are wildly inaccurate. Some will tell you that tape measures are the only way to go, others will swear by calipers, some by comparing "selfies," and others by DEXA scans. When I read this thread last week, it got me wondering if anyone could back up their assertions using real life data. So I opened a new thread and challenged people to pick out the bioimpedance scale data from the tape measure and caliper data:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10018085/best-method-to-measure-bodyfat-at-home#latest

So far, only one person has even tried to guess which set of readings came from my bioimpedance scale.

My conclusion: Bioimpedance scales are not all that inaccurate. And all the home measuring methods have their problems. And all the methods introduce inaccuracies and inconsistencies in their own way.
  • jaquelynny
    jaquelynny Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i wanna say when you can start seeing definition in your body you are going in the right direction, thats the old school but honest way instead of all these calculators and gadgets
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

A lot of people on MFP seem to think bioimpedance scales are wildly inaccurate. Some will tell you that tape measures are the only way to go, others will swear by calipers, some by comparing "selfies," and others by DEXA scans. When I read this thread last week, it got me wondering if anyone could back up their assertions using real life data. So I opened a new thread and challenged people to pick out the bioimpedance scale data from the tape measure and caliper data:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10018085/best-method-to-measure-bodyfat-at-home#latest

So far, only one person has even tried to guess which set of readings came from my bioimpedance scale.

My conclusion: Bioimpedance scales are not all that inaccurate. And all the home measuring methods have their problems. And all the methods introduce inaccuracies and inconsistencies in their own way.

I agree-I had my bf% measured by caliper and it was very close to my scales number. In fact,I think the scale was the more accurate of the two even though it was a little higher. Either way,my feelings about the scale,even if it is inaccurate,is it will give you a trend over the long term. If the scale says you went from 25% to 20% bf over a period of time,thats a good thing. It will keep you working
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    BF scales can be accurate dependent upon a lot of factors that the scale cannot take into account. Genetics, age and other factors can cause an inaccurate reading. I've read that the ones with the hand and feet electrodes are more accurate than the feet ones. However, they do reportedly have a habit of reporting a over calculating body fat for very lean people or very athletic people and under calculating body fat for very heavy or obese people. Therefore, they may work for some but are guaranteed not to work for all unless they figure out a way for each person to calibrate their scale to their body.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

You can check around and you will find that they have no reliability, and your test has no relevance. You should have a DEXA, use calipers and tape, and then your scale and see which comes closest to the DEXA. Hint: it will not be your scale.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I'm not rich so I can't afford to have multiple DEXA scans done at $150 a pop. I'd probably advocate ONE scan and then immediately do a bioimpedence scale, calipers, hand held bioimpedence etc... then compare the two for reference.

It's not really the accuracy perse as long as it's consistent. If it's consistent, then the DELTA change in bodyfat is what is important.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

You can check around and you will find that they have no reliability, and your test has no relevance. You should have a DEXA, use calipers and tape, and then your scale and see which comes closest to the DEXA. Hint: it will not be your scale.

Like I said in the other thread I linked, people believe what they want to believe despite any evidence to the contrary. My BI scale consistently measures me in the same general range as tape measure and calipers. While I agree that a DEXA scan would make a good benchmark and is the closest I'll ever get to my true or exact BF%, your assertion that the BI scale would not be the closest is based on supposition, not fact.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    missdibs1 wrote: »

Wow, that is way off. My DXA scan says 34.6% (the scan is my profile pic)