Zuchinni Noodles?

Options
TrainingToBePerfect
TrainingToBePerfect Posts: 1,418 Member
Hey Guys!

I've seen on pinterest and things people make Zuchinni noodles? I'm cutting carbs and looking to make a shrimp stirfry with Zuchinni noodles.. Anyone have any ideas for this, like an exact recipe?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sounds immensely boring am afraid....
  • macnma01
    macnma01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of zucchini noodles! http://www.inspiralized.com/ has some really great recipes for not just zucchini, but also carrots, squash, and other vegetables too!

I just made this one the other night: http://www.inspiralized.com/2013/08/25/skinny-sunday-avocado-basil-zucchini-noodles-with-chile-lime-shrimp-corn/ except I left the corn out and added in some red onions instead. It was great as leftovers for lunch the next day as well!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    just get a Vegetti. As seen on TV isle in most walmarts, walgreens, etc. Supper easy and taste like whatever you season them with. I sautee with garlic and adobo seasoning salt. They are delish. I have also sauteed them then added some shrimp and tossed with a lite lime dressing from newman own.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I would just beeasy and cook them both with olive oil and crushed garlic.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Knowing me and my track record for cooking veggies in pans (aka, they never get fully cooked), I would probably try to parboil them for a few minutes in some boiling water before cooking in a pan or skillet. Just make sure to drain them beforehand!
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I use zuchinni as noodles, I just shred it using a food processor and don't cook it. Letting it sit for a while and then draining it is pretty important though if you don't want your dish to get watery. Even better if you toss some salt in while you're letting it sit.

Then I put whatever I want on top.
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    just get a Vegetti. As seen on TV isle in most walmarts, walgreens, etc. Supper easy and taste like whatever you season them with. I sautee with garlic and adobo seasoning salt. They are delish. I have also sauteed them then added some shrimp and tossed with a lite lime dressing from newman own.

This.
    I first bought one at Big Lots, but it eventually broke, so I ordered another from Amazon - I think it is called a spiralizer. I cut my zucchini with this and then just steam in the micro for a couple minutes depending on how soft you want them and use them just like any other noodle with sauce or just butter, etc.
    Just recently, I spiral cut a couple of sweet potatoes and tossed them with a little olive oil and salt/pepper and then roasted them in the oven until cooked, those were yummy.
    It cuts all kinds of veggies and also fruits, my son loves spiral cut apples and pears!
  • kimba1958
    Options
    I use the vegetti as seen on tv. I bought mine at wallmart. I will saute the squash and add a can of albacore tuna with a 1/4 cup of Newmans alfredo sauce. 1 wedge of laughing cow cheese. Good Stuff!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

I guess one needs to have a creative kitchen imagination. I don't cook, but I bet lots can be done that would taste fabulous.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I use a spiralizer. You could also use a vegetable peeler - you won't get the same thin and curly strips as a spiralizer or a vegetti, but it's the same idea. I usually throw the zucchini "noodles" in a pan for a little while with some onion and added seasoning and let them cook since I'm not a fan of raw zucchini. No need to boil them first though (in my opinion).
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I would just beeasy and cook them both with olive oil and crushed garlic.

My fave easy recipe. I like to spiralize them and cook like this.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

I guess one needs to have a creative kitchen imagination. I don't cook, but I bet lots can be done that would taste fabulous.

Thanks for the mildly patronising assumption about my imagination.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Thanks for the mildly patronising assumption about my imagination.

Just adding a different perspective as your post to the OP was rather pessimistic.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    BEST THING EVER!!! i make them with spaghetti sauce or shrimp and olive oil soooo good. u can get a noodle maker thing at walmart i think it was $15
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Im getting a Vegetti or spiralizer tomorrow, thanks for the reminder and ideas !
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I use the Paderno Spiral Slicer and love it. I try to use both zucchini and yellow squash with the small cutter as the noodle replacement. For some reason both together taste better than by themselves.

The larger blade setting is good for sweet potato curly fries for my daughter. No oil, no salt, no preservatives just throw them in the convection oven. She doesn't know the difference. Well, if she does, she doesn't care.

Yakisoba style
    qbix6qtztcrg.jpg

Pescatora style
    hc8xospu8qfn.jpg

I will be very happy when I get Pad Thai figured out :stuck_out_tongue:
  • TrainingToBePerfect
    TrainingToBePerfect Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    YUM! @hockey_winger i'll have to try for sure.

Can someone tell me how and what to do !?
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    The base yakisoba I found online. (I'll send it when I remember where, she has lots of good stuff I want to try). Generally I find a recipe (or two or three to compare) and then embellish it from there. The stir fries I cook the meat and any harder vegetables separately then and them back in once the noodles are cooked. I don't cook the zucchini/squash before hand as they end up mushy. Most of the time you are going to get a lot of liquid out of the "noodles" so just simmer that down and then stir fry again once that is down. (why I like to have the other stuff separate) Even precooking I had too much liquid and then run into overcooked mush.

The main issue I have with recipes is portion size. The yakisoba "serves 4" and the first time (with real noodles) I halved the recipe and still had way too much could have served 5-6 still. Halved it again and was still too much... That's why I mention "embellishing" the recipes, really I am just winging it (no pun intended...) "Oh, I still have some carrots left over, toss them in too" "This was supposed to be for chicken but I am not sure how many more days that beef will last, better use it now." "Really? this doesn't call for garlic? that's crazy <adds garlic anyway>"

• ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @hockey_winger I would love a Pad Thai style receipe! Please let me know when you find one!! Those dishes you posted look YUMMY!