Recipes using greek yogurt?

Options
mirapaigew
mirapaigew Posts: 107
I have a couple of containers of plain greek yogurt sitting in my fridge that I wanted to use.

I've tried several different recipes using greek yogurt, but wondered if anyone had any good ones?

Replies

• vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Minty Yogurt Chicken:
    8 boneless, skinless chicken theighs (or breasts I suppose)
    1 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp fresh lime juice
    2 tbsp yogurt
    4 tbsp fresh chopped mint
    salt and pepper to taste

1. Marinate the chicken in the rest the the ingredients for 30 min (also make sure to slash the chicken so the marinade can soak in)
    2) grill or broil until done

Serves 4 people
    171 calories
    6.7 g fat
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    I eat it all the time - with fruit salad or I make a smoothie/shake after working out (adding ice and protien powder). also nice just with nuts and honey sprinkled over.

For savory, add chopped mint and cucumber and use as a dip.
  • xxluvcupcakesxx
    Options
    I just came across this on http://www.ireallylikefood.com/746007031/recipe-banana-strawberry-muffins/ :)
    Banana-Strawberry Muffins:
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/2 cup greek yogurt (the blogger used 0% fat Vanilla Bean from Trader Joes)
    1 Tbsp Canola Oil
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used three small bananas mashed)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries

Procedure:
    1)Heat oven to 375°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups. In medium bowl, combine sugar, oil, yogurt and eggs; blend well. Stir in bananas and vanilla.
    2)Add flour, baking soda and salt to sugar mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in strawberries. Spoon batter evenly into paper-lined muffin cups.
    3)Bake at 375°F. for 17 to 21 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from muffin cups. Serve warm or cool. These can also be freezed in an air tight container or freezer bag and taken out as needed.

I'm actually planning to try this recipe tomorrow :) P.S There are about 148 calories per muffin.
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    bump
  • lunderwood06
    Options
    bump
  • mirapaigew
    Options
    Yummy!!! Thank you :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yogurt and salsa as a chip dip.
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    Low Fat Chicken Tikka Masala

Sauce

Ingredients: (enough for about 2 lbs. of chicken or turkey meat):
    28 oz can of diced tomatoes
    6 oz can of tomato paste (or 1 1/2 cup tomato puree as an alternate)
    1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup chopped red onions
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (approx from one small lemon)
    1 tbsp fresh ginger root, shredded and chopped
    1 tbsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp coriander powder
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp salt (to taste)
    1 tsp honey (to taste)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Add the can of tomato paste into a small bowl then make a puree by adding a can of water from the tomato paste can. Mix the crushed garlic and shredded ginger root into a paste in a separate bowl and set it aside. Add oil to a skillet and heat it up. Add the onions and cook for a few minutes, then add the can of diced tomatoes and the tomato paste puree.

Cook for a few minutes, and then add ground cumin and coriander powder. Add a little water if necessary. You want to cook it until it thickens, but you don’t want it thickening up too soon.

Cook for a few minutes, and then add paprika and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking until it looks like it will be done in a few minutes.

Stir it in thoroughly, and then add the garlic and ginger paste. Keep stirring and continue to cook for a few more minutes. The whole point here is not to cook too much after adding the garlic and ginger. You don’t want to cook away the flavor. You just want to infuse the flavors.

Cook it down until it is getting thick, and then add the yogurt. Stir it in real well, but don’t cook it too long – just a minute or so.

Finally, turn off the flame, add the lemon juice, then salt and honey to taste. Honey is 1-2 tsp. Calorie count is set for 1 tsp.

The cooking time is about 20 – 25 minutes total.

Place the cooked sauce into a bowl. Now it is ready to use to make chicken or turkey tikka masala. NOTE: if you're only cooking for a few people, the sauce freezes well.

2 lbs chicken skinless breast. Cut the meat up into small pieces and add to a skillet. Sear the meat over a high flame for a few minutes, then turn the flame down and add the sauce. Simmer for 7 or 8 minutes. Don’t overcook the meat so it is tender and juicy. Serve hot.

NOTE: The serving size is 4 oz. Nutrition count is 321 Calories / 27 g Carbs / 6 g. fat / 42 g. protein. Does not include rice. (I ate mine over 1/2 cup brown rice.)
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I use it when I want to substitute for mayo, or at least partially, like chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad. Cut the mayo in half and use greek yogurt for the other half
  • mirapaigew
    Options
    I tried it this morning as a substitute for mayo. Half a whole wheat pita, 2 slices of turkey, and some fresh spinach! (And a little bit of cracked pepper) YUMMMMMMMM!!!! I'll try it in chicken salad next!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yeah so..I use mine as dessert! I added a little powdered sugar, a tbs. of mini chocolate chips, a bit of coconut, and a bit of finely chopped pecans...oh my gosh..! Yeah..I only do this on days I work my booty off and have several extra calories to use!

I love greek yogurt...super easy to make yourself..and its cheaper. There is a website for making it below. I just strain it overnight to have that super thick texture(mine is almost cheese like it's so thick) but you can strain it for an hour for a more normal greek yogurt consitency.( I do it longer to reduce the whey to get rid of the extreme tanginess)

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
  • swimmer23
    swimmer23 Posts: 70
    Options
    bump!
  • robynswallow
    Options
    Minty Yogurt Chicken sounds nice !!!
  • tlaltman
    tlaltman Posts: 32
    Options
    I use it to replace sour cream. Higher protien content. Here is one of my fav:

Beef Stroganoff

1lb ground beef (you can use anything ground, chicken turkey...)
    1 sm onion
    1 cup fresh mushroom of choice (I like baby portabella, or you can use canned)
    1 can cream of mushroom (fat free)
    1/4 cup white wine (optional)
    1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
    1 tbs olive oil
    egg noodles
    Ground pepper

Sauté onions and mushrooms set aside
    Brown meat add with onions and mushrooms season with pepper
    Add wine stir well and let alcohol cook off for a bit
    Add can of soup mix well
    Remove from heat and add yogurt
    Serve on top of egg noodles or your choice (rice, wheat pasta)

Sorry if this isn't exact I make this all the time and have no real recipe for it. You should give it a try, super quick and inexpensive and yummy! My kids fave (2 & 4)

Add wine
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nicmacc
    nicmacc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add it to your curry instead of coconut cream or coconut milk. Also serve on the side as a "cooling" side dish for a hot curry.
    What about Tzatziki dip - delicious

natural greek low or no-fat yoghurt
    Lebanese cucumbers, deseeded, grated
    garlic cloves, crushed
    lemon juice
    lemon pepper
    salt

You could look up a recipe for actual measurements or just play around with flavours!
  • mirapaigew
    Options
    Yogurt and salsa as a chip dip.

I just had this with blue corn chips! Good stuff!!