Running In Winter (Clothes)

Options
Hello,

Within, the last month or two I have begun running, and it has greatly helped my weight loss. I want to continue running in the winter. However I don't have access to indoor running tracks/treadmills so I wish to continue to run outside.

Though all my wintry clothes are not suitable to run in. So I was wondering if anyone can help me with a brand or store that would sell winter running apparel. Something thin so it's easy to run in but also warm so I don't freeze.

Any tips would be helpful. I've never run in winter before.

Replies

• Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that you want something that wicks away moisture because even in cold weather, you can work up a sweat. That sweat can make you colder. I would look online at running websites or even Amazon for good full length running tights. You will want to make sure you invest in a face mask (that covers your ears) too for really cold temperatures as breathing in extremely cold air can be taxing on your body as you run.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run outdoors year-round, but I've never run in winter, either! (I live in Southern California B) It gets a little chilly in the mornings, but never really cold where I live. Light layers or just "sucking it up" works for me. My sister sometimes wears light gloves.)

I guess just "sucking it up" won't work for someone who lives in a cold winter climate. You could search online for what you're looking for, but any major sports/athletic type chain retailer near you should have appropriate gear for cold climate running. Good luck!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this....I just had posted a similar question in the November running challenge thread. I'm a new runner myself and am struggling trying to figure out the right running gear.

It was in the mid 40s this morning and I wore a Nike hyperwarm long sleeve base layer shirt and shorts. That turned out to be just fine for a 6 mile run. Now I'm wondering how much more I really need when it's in the 30s. I almost feel like a light jacket over that would be fine for most days....but I'm really not sure.

Living in north Texas, I imagine the coldest days I'll be out will be 30*. And I'd much rather be a little cool than too hot. And much rather have something light than something bulky. But when you go to the store there is an endless selection of long sleeve tops, light running jackets, heavier windproof jackets, leggings, gloves, hats....I am struggling to figure out what I really need. Plus I'm not looking to break the bank....it seems like it can add up REALLY quick. I'm just looking for the essentials....

• Chibimii
    Options
    Well, I live in Michigan and our winters can get pretty brutal. Obviously, if it's blizzard conditions I won't be running. But on a normal winter day I wanna stick with it as I tend to find I lose all my weight in summers and gain it all back every winter and I don't want to repeat that this year. So I am determined to run despite the snow.

I ran yesterday and I was in my T-shirt despite the cold because I figured running would warm me up. Nope! I was wrong. XP
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Synthetic running/exercise tops, long sleeved with an oversize short sleeved (from when I was bigger, pre mfp) to keep the core warm, light weight gloves for the hands, full length running tights, beanie, snood if it is really cold, light weight jacket if it is raining. The long sleeved tops I have are either normal or slightly thicker, fleece lined.

I just layer up to the conditions. Try out different combos on 30-40 minute runs to see how much you heat up at various outside temperatures and adjust accordingly. You can always delayer and drape around neck on short runs. The bigger issue to me is not the air temperature but the wind, that can get me cold very quickly these days, so a good view on wunderground is an essential pre run activity for me.

Have fun
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you'd rather err on the side of being a little colder rather than too hot, I'd stick to lighter layers, so if you have to strip a light running jacket or windbreaker off it's not a big deal to just tie it around your waist or something. I hate hauling around a bunch of crap I don't need. Long running tights sound good to me, because if I get hot, I can still stay cool in them if I strip off a upper body layer, but they'll still do a good job of keeping the chill off bare legs. I agree with the other poster who mentioned moisture-wicking materials. Nothing like being cold AND damp. Try on some of those gloves designed for running. I don't like them, but my sister uses them. Cold hands kinda hurt her. You need a hat or cap of some sort. Running sites and blogs could give you more ideas on the basics.
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I run during winter and I have a few tips on getting dressed:
    -wear layers (I use thermal undergarments, then shorts on top, and a wind-proof, snug jacket)
    -hat (ears get very cold if not protected)
    -long socks, rolled down to keep my ankles warm (this is a personal preference)
    -you can also get spikes for your shoes, if you're running in slippery areas
    -thin gloves
    -make sure your throat is covered by a thermal polo and/or the jacket

Try out different things. You can wear more layers if you want. I find that I'm slightly cold at first, but I warm up when I run for a bit. I've tried adding layers, but found that it makes it harder to run.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Chibimii wrote: »

I ran yesterday and I was in my T-shirt despite the cold because I figured running would warm me up. Nope! I was wrong. XP

If it was a cotton t shirt you will feel cold as cotton holds moisture close to the skin and you will feel cold, your body heat is trying to evaporate the moisture absorbed by the cotton. Ideally you need to invest in some synthetic tops. In the uk these can be picked up from 3GBP upwards (5 USD), either online or in store.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-running-t-shirt-mens-451626?colcode=45162621

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/running-t-shirt-id_8289154.html

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-sleeved-running-t-shirt-mens-452461?colcode=45246103

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-xlite-long-sleeved-zipped-tee-mens-452827?colcode=45282792

Other options are available depending on what your budget is and colour/ brand sensitivities. I am out running so it's not a fashion statement for me, so last years stock, unpopular colours all work. Have fun

Edited to include hyperlinks

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Starter brand at WalMart are reasonably priced. Also, check with your local thrift stores. You'd be surprised at how much good wicking clothes you can find there.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you're aCostco member, they have pretty much everything you need, at least here in Michigan
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I live in Northern Ontario and know all about winter sports since it's winter about 7 months of the year here. LOL.

Buy a good pair of tapered running pants. Get cold weather ones. You can always wear another pair of leggings under your running tights.

For your feet, I swear by Alpaca wool socks. They are friggen awesome! I use them for walking, running, snow shoeing and x-country skiing. Again, if your feet tend to get cold, just wear another pair of socks with these.

For your hands, wear mitts if it's really cold and bring an extra pair of small gloves if your hands get too hot.

I will run/ski in temperatures at about -15C to -20C and I find a long-sleeve shirt, a thick sweatshirt or sweater and a windbreaker type of jacket is perfect for my core. If I get too hot, I can remove a layer and if I get too cold, I can simply run/ski faster.

For your face and head, make sure you have a good face warmer and a warm hat. A warm scarf will suffice to keep your face warm. I have a variety of scarves and really don't have a favourite one. I do like them long so I can double-wrap my face if necessary. For a hat, I prefer something on the bigger side and that ties under my chin. The reason being is that I can run with my ear phones and it's much more comfortable.

Another tip for you if you run while listening to music, invest in a good pair of blue tooth earphones and get a music device that would support these. I use my cell phone. There's nothing more annoying than running and your stupid ear buds fall out of your ears because the cord gets stuck in all of the clothing. It's VERY frustrating when your all geared-up. LOL. Get a pair of ear phones that have a battery life of 8 hours or more. I bought mine for about $60 and they have a battery life of 12 hours. You can also answer any calls, adjust the volume, change the song and pause your music by pressing a certain button on the earphones. Make sure to bring your hat and face covering when shopping so that you can find something that will fit nicely and comfortably.

Hope these tips help you. :smiley:

• Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also, re: the hat, the cord tied under your chin also prevents the hat from moving around when running.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Just did my first run in my underarmor Cold Gear and I highly recommend! I typically go for cheaper, but this shirt was worth every penny!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Under armor makes some great cold weather gear but it can get pricey. Do you have a sports or running store near you? The staff might have good suggestions. Just be sure to check out their return policy so if something isn't comfortable or warm enough you can get your money back. Good luck you're braver than me! I live in Boston and my asthma makes running in the winter very difficult.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey! I trained for my first marathon in winter a few years back and I'll be training this winter too! I refuse to spend tons of money on anything except running shoes, so I will buy various brands (walmart, target, nike, adidas- if they're on sale). Get some thin, sweat wicking long sleeve shirts that you can layer under t-shirts or hoodies. Running tights that you can layer under sweat or jogging pants if you need to and always gloves and ear/face protection. If it's really cold, I will use the heat packs in my gloves or around my waist.

Also, after this winter, when cold weather gear goes on sale, stock up for next year :)