Loose Skin - Does it happen to everyone?

Options
I know there are a lot of you on here who can boast of loosing 50-100 lbs or more. I'm hoping to be one of those people in the future. But I never thought about loose skin until I heard a YouTuber discussing his need for surgery. And then I did a Google image search for "loose skin after weight loss." Boy, I wish I didn't. It saddens me that I may have another reason to be self-conscious after I eliminate one. But my question is this. Has anyone managed to avoid having this happen to you? Are the cases I see on Google extreme & rare? I'm 26. Will my age help at all? I'm pretty confused by the whole concept & any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It can depend on how fast you lose, how much you have to lose, how healthy your skin is... Many factors. But what will help is drinking lots of water and losing weight at a slow and healthy pace. Your skin has stretched to fit the storage of fat. Some of it will go away, all of it might. Weight lifting helps a lot too, so does moisturizer. But if you lose weight too fast your skin can't keep up and it will be more noticeable.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you retain, the less the skin will be visible. heavy weights.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how fast / slow you lose, moisturizing, how much water you drink, etc. It's mainly genetics and luck. Your age will help to an extent. However, as mentioned above, retaining muscles /building helps a lot because it fills in the empty space where your loose skin would have been.

I've lost over 100 in a little over a year and my loose skin is relatively minimal compared to people who I've seen that have lost less in roughly the same period. Again, its mainly genetic and theres really not much you can do about it.

Don't be sad or let it deter you from becoming a healthier person, however. The benefits far outweigh any potential cosmetic concern.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 75 lbs in the past, when I was about 27 yrs old. I had no problems with loose skin, except for my inner thighs, and they weren't that bad, they just never were toned during my entire life, not sure if it was really due to loose skin or just fat. If I had gotten down to a low enough body fat, they would have probably improved, but I probably wouldn't have been able to maintain it. I was around 20% at my lowest. So, it's not inevitable, but it is largely out of your control.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's genetics

I'm lucky and it hasn't happened to me yet, even when pregnant

You have youth and time on your side - go for it
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You can do all the dry brushing, lotions, upping the water intake, cocoa butter/Vitamin E topical lotions and whatnot, but for some there's a point at which only surgery will help.

It's hard to say where that point is for you. You are young, so that is in your favor, but don't be surprised if there is some loose skin. But hey it's MUCH EASIER to hide loose skin than it is to hide excess fat! ;)
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I have lost over and 230 lbs and it took me 3.5 years so far. Yes you are going to have lose skin when you have so much to lose. It doesn't matter what pace you lose it. However, I will say its not as bad as you imagine. I had nightmares lol about lose skin and what I see today I will take ANY DAY over the fat I was holding. I started adding strength training into my exercise about 6 months ago instead of just cardio and I will say I have noticed some of it firming up so I highly suggest adding in strength training. :) I may have to have surgery I may not when I get to goal I figure I will give it 6 months of more strength training and see how I feel with my body etc. However like I said above the lose skin now is nothing compared to the fat I was holding and how that looked :) Don't let lose skin deter you or scare you from getting healthy. I promise its not going to be as bad as anything you are imagining :)
  • RonwynAngel
    RonwynAngel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have lost about 40 kgs-88 lb- and yes I do have loose skin but not as bad as it could be. My underarm flaps are 1/2 the size they were, the thighs aren't great but my calves are showing good definition, the stomach flap is slowly lessening. In NZ we are luck enough that if you lose a large amount, are exercising properly and keep the weight off for a defined length of time they will do a tummy tuck in the public health system.

When I was younger though the skin problem really didn't happen. Weight training helps as your muscles are more defined. If you think it will be a concern save the money you used to spend on more food and put it into an account to help if you need plastic surgery. Exercise is now your best friend whether it is in a gym, out walking, exercising in a pool (really good) or doing the housework
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There are some non invasive tecniques that may help, for example Thermage, unipolar radiophrequency, mesotherapy and dermaroller.
    I used to fluctuate a lot when younger (From 103 kg to 52 and viceversa) and got a sagging neck and double chin as a result. Now I´m rolling it with 1.5 needles every 3 weeks, 0.5 needles every 2-3 days and having weekly unipolar radiophrequency sesions. It helps a lot. I can see the results, my neck looks much better and I´m said that it is effective in other problem areas too like arms or tummy.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started at 29 now 34. Have lost 200+ lbs in the course of nearly 4 years. I didn't really focus on the heavy lifting side of things until 2 years in. I have the dreaded loose skin. Mainly my lower belly area. Of course you can't tell at all with clothes on but once they are off...well...it's depressing. I have another 80-90 lbs I'd like to lose but I am really taking it slow it hopes the sagging skin I have in my stomach area will catch up. It has improved a bit but probably won't completely snap back and if I ever want to be shirt less especially around the opposite sex, I will very likely need surgery to fix.

I agree with others here though at 26 you are young and have time on your side. Exercise and lifting heavy does help.

• carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a saggy belly and I still look amazing! I am at the age though where I've got more bad than good but I'm not bothered. Back on the weights after a two year lay off to try and put some of the muscle mass I've lost back on, but this time I'm still on the calorie watch and still doing mental levels of cardio. I was out for a run at 0545 this morning before work, just so I could get in the gym at lunchtime and do my shoulders. I'd still rather be saggy and fit than fat and unhealthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends on genetics, how long you were overweight for, how much you had to lose. In my experience, exercise didn't help (I still don't get why people say that, I mean, muscle is under your skin anyway, so I can't even see how it would do anything).

I lost 81 pounds, was obese for 10 years and I'm 36.. so I have a bunch of loose skin (upper arms, inner thighs, belly mostly - I have a pocket of skin that hangs there when I bend over, probably 2/3 pounds worth) but it's better than the alternative.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It all has to do with genetics. Lift weights as soon as you can, because it helps fill in and firm up the appearance.
  • cantumelia
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You could also add some vitamin C and retinoids to your skin care regime, it helps to create new collagen. Also always wear sunscreen because UV rays can destroy collagen. Don´t forget to eat plenty of protein. And no, exercise won´t do anything for your skin, it will only affect your muscles.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    cantumelia wrote: »
    And no, exercise won´t do anything for your skin, it will only affect your muscles.

The theory is that the new muscle mass take up some of the skin that the fat used to occupy, so the skin is not as loose where the new muscle is.
  • cantumelia
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well but it depends on how much loose skin you have. If it´s only a little, building muscles under it may help stretch it. But if there´s too much loose skin muscles won´t even be visible under the skin. And also if you´re a girl you may not be able to grow much muscle or may not want to. For example I´d rather keep my sagging arms than look like Phelps.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    And no, exercise won´t do anything for your skin, it will only affect your muscles.

The theory is that the new muscle mass take up some of the skin that the fat used to occupy, so the skin is not as loose where the new muscle is.

Except you can't gain muscle mass at a deficit anyway. I mean, by preventing muscle loss you won't lose as much volume, I guess, but that's hardly going to make a difference. I mean, I see my loose skin, and it's nowhere near the muscle, so it just boggles my mind.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i lost 122 lbs in 4 years... slow and steady.. high protien.. weight lifting... i still have the skin :( drs say it won't snap back... i am saving up for the body contouring surgery.. it's gonna take 2 years to save up for it.. hoping to lose another 30 pounds in that time.. have to put up with the bat wings and accordian belly until then.. there's no lotion or vitimans that will help me.. i take all my vitimans every day anyway.. i'm extremely healthy.. it's just one of those things.. get that big... pay the price
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »

i get that muscle would fill up what the fat used to take up... but if u used to be 5'2 and 275... imagine that all filled with muscle... lol