What to do the day after a binge?

Options
Binged bad last night. I think it was emotional eating to be honest. I had a twix bar, a large hershey almonds choc. bar, a subway sandwhich with two cookies. Then later on i had 3 (!!!!) doughnuts, a LOT of lemon oreos, some cereal, and a row of ritz crackers. It's so embarrassing. i've been on track ALL week. i don't know what got into me.... now the question is, what do i eat today? do i even need to eat today? i just don't know. I'm so tempted now, because we still have all the binge food in the house (A friend of my mom's bought it to get on our good side, i guess). I have almost no self-control with sweets. I won't buy them myself but if they're there they're so hard to resist.

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Nothing much to do - start fresh today!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Move on, get back on track. Maybe look at what might have led to the binge.

• cchapps
    cchapps Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    get rid of the treats that allow you to binge… (good intentions are hard to resist) its tough but you can have them when you reach that place you want to be. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels…. say it over and over. And don't beat yourself up we all do this behavior once in a while.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pull your bootstraps up and move on.
  • artisticdesires
    Options
    cchapps wrote: »
    get rid of the treats that allow you to binge… (good intentions are hard to resist) its tough but you can have them when you reach that place you want to be. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels…. say it over and over. And don't beat yourself up we all do this behavior once in a while.
    thannks for your answer & i wish i could get rid of them, but i don't live by myself & the food is theirs too. Haha i think if i threw it away, they'd hate me.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    HIDE IT!! And just move on. :-)
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    cchapps wrote: »

I don't know i think most things taste better than thin feels.

Maybe learning moderation will be more beneficial. Demonizing food is more likely to lead to binges for some people.
  • tenmilesaday
    tenmilesaday Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hey beautiful. Thanks for the vulnerability. This issue is super complex and because it's 'just food,' I think we and everyone around us feels like we'll just eventually stop the behavior, get over it. But 'just food' has been my drug of choice for my entire life. I feel ya. so hard. I'm married and I have to lock all carbs other than fruit and veggies in a room that I can't get to at night. And be brutally vulnerable with someone I live with. For me, that's the husband. Who doesn't really stop me if I decide to do this anyway. last night, didn't lock it up,, totally binged. you can look at my food diary. i say, for now, don't tiptoe around it and try to figure out why--Just treat yourself like a doctor would and set yourself up however you can to make it impossible to do this to yourself. You are the best rehab facility you have right now. No one will understand exactly why we do this but us, and so don't expect anyone to be as serious and concerned about it as you will need to be to survive this--Maybe complete freedom from an addiction is possible, but most addicts don't leave their drugs available to themselves, no matter how 'recovered' they are. You're going to have to get real with these roommates. Lock that *kitten* up and ask for understanding and help. I would love to dialogue further, if you feel like that would help.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    As others have said, get back on track. Nothing special to eat today, just try to do it right.

And as a side note... "lemon oreos"???? Oh, dear. Now I'm in trouble.

51637601.png
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat like usual today.

Have you thought of seeing a therapist or dietician? They can help with binge eating. There is also a binge eating support group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group

Finally, you sound a bit like me... what helped me a lot in particular was logging binges, limiting my starchy and added sugary foods (by eating lots of fruits, veggies, fats, and protein), and eating 3 meals plus snacks every day.
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish there was a food rehab and that someone would force me to go there and stay a few months. A place like the biggest loser but in town where a nutritionist manned the kitchen like a security guard and between that and a team of personal trainers you had no choice but to meet your goals. That would be awesome. Oh to be rich and hire a team!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I don't eat less the next day, just get back on as if you didn't mess up. It will eventually balance itself out, in a few days
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Please share how those lemon Oreos tasted. I've been dying to know, if you've head the PB ones, those, too. I think we should all benefit from your binge, lol. ;)

You should consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. They can help you work through your issues with food. People do get better!

Don't waffle! Make decision and if you are going to eat something, eat it. Give yourself permission, even if you shouldn't. Never eat a single bite thinking, "I shouldn't do this, but I'm doing it anyway." Just think, "I choose to eat this and I'm eating it and enjoying it."

You have to retrain your brain to know that Yes is yes and No is no. Stop the whirlwind of "God, I shouldn't be doing this!" and eating. You aren't lying to yourself, either. You did choose to eat it! It's not out of your control. What you're doing is finally acknowledging that you've chosen to eat it.

Slow down and enjoy what you're eating while you're doing the Yes, I choose to eat this thing. Enjoy it just as you would if you'd given yourself permission.

It's a huge step, this acknowledgement that you're choosing to eat your food. If you just work on that, without focusing on "I shouldn't be eating this!", you've come a long way.

What you should do today is forgive yourself immediately. The guilt and shame only serve to help repeat the process. They take you into "I shouldn't have done it" and lead to "I shouldn't do it again" and right back into eating when you think you shouldn't. It has to stop. No more guilt and shame.

Just concentrate on acknowledging your decisions to eat today, whether you're consuming too many calories or not. It's a very simple first task. Spend your time saying, "I choose to eat this," and even "I choose not to eat that." The stuff you choose not to eat can (in fact, should!) be things you don't want to eat. "I choose to have tuna fish for lunch. I choose not to have a salad."

Retrain your brain. That's where it starts. That's what you should do today. It's a big enough step. :)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    No need to torture yourself over what happened yesterday. Today is a new day, journal your food and move on. Be kind to yourself.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish there was a food rehab and that someone would force me to go there and stay a few months. A place like the biggest loser but in town where a nutritionist manned the kitchen like a security guard and between that and a team of personal trainers you had no choice but to meet your goals. That would be awesome. Oh to be rich and hire a team!

Lol that would be nice but completely unnecessary - all you need is MFP - a little knowledge and the willingness to take control of your actions. The best bit is it's free!
  • vickyjane1710
    vickyjane1710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i just get rid of everything tasty in the house cos now i have a taste for it, and then carry on like normal, as long as it only happens once it all works itself out :-)
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is a patient I have that always makes me smile huge!

Even though he is paralyzed the 1st thing he always says with a amazing smile is "It's a new day, yesterday is gone and we can start brand new".

Can't change yesterday. Start fresh today :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet?
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You should consider seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders. They can help you work through your issues with food. People do get better!

Don't waffle! Make decision and if you are going to eat something, eat it. Give yourself permission, even if you shouldn't. Never eat a single bite thinking, "I shouldn't do this, but I'm doing it anyway." Just think, "I choose to eat this and I'm eating it and enjoying it."

You have to retrain your brain to know that Yes is yes and No is no. Stop the whirlwind of "God, I shouldn't be doing this!" and eating. You aren't lying to yourself, either. You did choose to eat it! It's not out of your control. What you're doing is finally acknowledging that you've chosen to eat it.

Slow down and enjoy what you're eating while you're doing the Yes, I choose to eat this thing. Enjoy it just as you would if you'd given yourself permission.

It's a huge step, this acknowledgement that you're choosing to eat your food. If you just work on that, without focusing on "I shouldn't be eating this!", you've come a long way.

What you should do today is forgive yourself immediately. The guilt and shame only serve to help repeat the process. They take you into "I shouldn't have done it" and lead to "I shouldn't do it again" and right back into eating when you think you shouldn't. It has to stop. No more guilt and shame.

Just concentrate on acknowledging your decisions to eat today, whether you're consuming too many calories or not. It's a very simple first task. Spend your time saying, "I choose to eat this," and even "I choose not to eat that." The stuff you choose not to eat can (in fact, should!) be things you don't want to eat. "I choose to have tuna fish for lunch. I choose not to have a salad."

Retrain your brain. That's where it starts. That's what you should do today. It's a big enough step. :)

This is pretty good advice! Not feeling guilty about food was a very important step for me to overcome bingeing. I might still have a whole half-litre package of Ben&Jerry's every now and then (much less frequently than I did, though), for example, but when I do, I consciously choose to eat it and ENJOY it. For me, this also lead to actually being able to stop before the package is empty if I don't want any more—instead of finishing it without even enjoying it and feeling terrible about it like I did previously.

In the long run, locking away food won't solve binge eating. You have to change your mindset or you'll go through life like a constant obstacle course of temptations and triggers.
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

weight.png

Get back on the horse and try it again .