What to do the day after a binge?

Options

Replies

• mkoffinas
    mkoffinas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It happens to the best of us. Don't beat yourself up over it. A couple of things my dietitian told me that definitely resonated.

1) Have a plan! If we were to go to work without a plan of what to accomplish that day, and simply sat at our desks, we would most likely be fired at some point right? So why don't we allow ourselves the same logic when it comes to our health?

2) Decide (as much as you can), before you put something in your mouth, if the number of calories are something you can deal with.

For me, I LOVE cheetos, and since I've bought them on occasion for my husband, I'll pull out MFP app, and decide how many calories am I willing to deal with. Sometimes it's a 1/2 a serving, sometimes, it's 1/4 of a serving, or sometimes, after looking at my intake for the day, I decide it's not something I am willing to deal with.
  • lisainpotown
    lisainpotown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You know what I do? I track it ALL in my fitnesspal. It is hella embarassing! But the truth is, if you look at people's food diaries, no one eats perfectly, and those missed days...we all know it's worse on those days! MFP gives us accountability and awareness. It's about progress, not perfection. I am sure that this is not the first time you ever overate in your life, and it probably won't be the last. Strive to make the next time a little less outrageous and rein it in faster. Success is about picking yourself up quickly from failure, gracefully and frequently.
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lemon Oreo cookies are the best!
    With that out of the way, you can't beat yourself up. We've all been there, and we'll probably be there again. You already said you knew it was an emotional binge. Plan now what you can do if the situation comes up again. That way you'll be ready. Good luck!
  • BryVia12
    BryVia12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    First of all, most of us have those kind of days. Keep on going, eventually those binge days will become more spaced out. Food is not the enemy, self hate is. Ask yourself: Why am I sabotaging myself? Why am I abusing myself? Why am I not listening to my body? Take a serious look at yourself (by this I mean look inward). If you can answer these questions, you will be more able to find success.

We all have temptations, the more you resist them the more results you will have, mentally and physically. It gets easier with every victory. Start new today. Best wishes to you.
  • artisticdesires
    Options
    hey beautiful. Thanks for the vulnerability. This issue is super complex and because it's 'just food,' I think we and everyone around us feels like we'll just eventually stop the behavior, get over it. But 'just food' has been my drug of choice for my entire life. I feel ya. so hard. I'm married and I have to lock all carbs other than fruit and veggies in a room that I can't get to at night. And be brutally vulnerable with someone I live with. For me, that's the husband. Who doesn't really stop me if I decide to do this anyway. last night, didn't lock it up,, totally binged. you can look at my food diary. i say, for now, don't tiptoe around it and try to figure out why--Just treat yourself like a doctor would and set yourself up however you can to make it impossible to do this to yourself. You are the best rehab facility you have right now. No one will understand exactly why we do this but us, and so don't expect anyone to be as serious and concerned about it as you will need to be to survive this--Maybe complete freedom from an addiction is possible, but most addicts don't leave their drugs available to themselves, no matter how 'recovered' they are. You're going to have to get real with these roommates. Lock that *kitten* up and ask for understanding and help. I would love to dialogue further, if you feel like that would help.
    Thank you <3 . They don't understand, i guess. To them its as simple as, "just don't eat it" . Its NOT that simple. I'm recovering from Bulimia right now, and almost every weekend we have junk food in the house. I can't deal. I'm really trying to get better, but it makes it so hard to have all these foods here. It's taunting me. I've already broken down today. And to some people it seems like such a trivial thing to cry over, it does to me too, its just FOOD right? One of the most basic human needs. Yet its making me crazy.
  • artisticdesires
    Options
    Are you on a low carb diet?

No, i have oatmeal at least once a day, sometimes twice. I'm not on any specific diet, just trying to feed myself what i think it's right. Lots of fruits, veggies, proteins etc.. I know it can be harmful to one's psyche to restrict, so i try not to. Plus i want to lose through habits i can substain for life, haha i don't think i would last a lifetime low carb

• artisticdesires
    Options
    I kind of wish there was a food rehab and that someone would force me to go there and stay a few months. A place like the biggest loser but in town where a nutritionist manned the kitchen like a security guard and between that and a team of personal trainers you had no choice but to meet your goals. That would be awesome. Oh to be rich and hire a team!
    hahaha, if you only you knew how many times i've wished for something like that to happen to me. I've thought and researched them all, weightloss summer camps, local biggest loser competitions, everything. The weight loss camps are a pretty penny to join though, i tell you

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Log through your binge so that you're back in control as soon as your next meal. Log as you binge so you have a shot at control or eating a half portion. Write in your log (Food notes) about your emotions and ideas for next time.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Over restriction calories or macros is like holding your breath. Sure, it's easy at first, anyone can do it. Hold your breath, mind over matter. But the longer you hold it, the harder it gets. Eventually, your body takes over your mind and no matter how hard you try, you can't keep it going. Your brain forces you to gasp for air and to replenish your oxygen supply. Did you fail? Are you weak because you couldn't hold your breath forever? Of course not. Same with food. If you are binging, that is gasping for food. Your body is demanding nutrition. If you eat a steady, high nutrition adequate-in-calories diet, you won't need to binge anymore. You'll be breathing deeply metabolically, and restoring function to your brain and body as well as establishing new habits along the way. Slow and steady wins the race. Make sure you never eat below your BMR and make sure you're getting your macros right. You'll be fine ...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1. Start fresh - today is a new day and a new beginning.
    2. Evaluate what happened yesterday -- if it is stress eating, then work out alternative ways to work out or eliminate your stress.
    3. If it was binging because you were bored, find alternative activities to fill your void time
    4. If it was binging because you have tried to be too restrictive then maybe add a little more treat to your regular day.
    5. One thing about binging is that one day of binging can literally undo a week of healthy eating and two or three days in a row can easily spiral into a lifestyle change that you don't want... remain positive, but recognize that this can be a dangerous path.
    6. There is no shame in getting help if you need it; the only shame is when you know you need help that is available and don't pursue it.
    7. You've got this. Best wishes. Each day is a new day but it is something that we all have to constantly guard for.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    hey beautiful. Thanks for the vulnerability. This issue is super complex and because it's 'just food,' I think we and everyone around us feels like we'll just eventually stop the behavior, get over it. But 'just food' has been my drug of choice for my entire life. I feel ya. so hard. I'm married and I have to lock all carbs other than fruit and veggies in a room that I can't get to at night. And be brutally vulnerable with someone I live with. For me, that's the husband. Who doesn't really stop me if I decide to do this anyway. last night, didn't lock it up,, totally binged. you can look at my food diary. i say, for now, don't tiptoe around it and try to figure out why--Just treat yourself like a doctor would and set yourself up however you can to make it impossible to do this to yourself. You are the best rehab facility you have right now. No one will understand exactly why we do this but us, and so don't expect anyone to be as serious and concerned about it as you will need to be to survive this--Maybe complete freedom from an addiction is possible, but most addicts don't leave their drugs available to themselves, no matter how 'recovered' they are. You're going to have to get real with these roommates. Lock that *kitten* up and ask for understanding and help. I would love to dialogue further, if you feel like that would help.
    ^^^^^ Brilliant, empathetic post. this is the way support is supposed to look
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that the first thought I had after reading this was "must try lemon oreos"...hehe.

Seriously though, log it and move on. Today is a new day! And be kind to yourself. If you're physically feeling crappy because of the binge, drink lots of water with lemon, maybe some ginger in hot water, and/or peppermint tea. (I had a day last week that could be classified as a binge - just a day of eating a lot of crappy foods, mostly as a result of stress, so these things helped settle my stomach the following day.)
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just done something very similar yesterday. Started today with porridge, some exercise and had a salad and green smoothie for lunch, now I don't feel so guilty :P
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile, it seems like you have been able to lose quite a bit of weight! That is terrific! I know it is tempting to think about fasting, or doing something extreme after a binge to try to negate its effects, but I have found that when I have a day of overeating it is best to just get back on track the next day with my usual plan of staying within a calorie budget and exercising. Sometimes avoiding all sweets for a few days can help as well. I usually toss out whatever is tempting me, or ask someone else in the house to put it somewhere discrete so I won't encounter it.

Best of luck, darling!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Drink lots more water, stay off the scale for a couple of days (the extra sugar and salt can make you retain water), and eat to goal today. Don't try to make up for it by cutting back because that is just setting you up for another binge.

Binges happen. The best thing is to put it in the past and continue onward from the new day. I've had a few and getting back on the horse the next day has prevented them from affecting my weight loss over the last 10 months.

58841349.png
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish there was a food rehab and that someone would force me to go there and stay a few months. A place like the biggest loser but in town where a nutritionist manned the kitchen like a security guard and between that and a team of personal trainers you had no choice but to meet your goals. That would be awesome. Oh to be rich and hire a team!
    hahaha, if you only you knew how many times i've wished for something like that to happen to me. I've thought and researched them all, weightloss summer camps, local biggest loser competitions, everything. The weight loss camps are a pretty penny to join though, i tell you

Me too! I actually considered going to one of those weight loss spa-places for a month, but I didn't want to leave my husband and kids for that long. I have found, however, that I can do it for myself at home.

I log everything I eat, the good, the bad, and the highly caloric, and try to not get too freaked out by it.

• justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has addressed the peanut butter Oreo question! So, so. If you are going to go Oreo, go mint Oreo!

Can you ask your family to keep the sweets out of the kitchen? Could someone keep them in their room? I have tons of sweets in this house but they are in "out of sight, out of mind" locations. If they were on the kitchen counter there is no way I could resist them.

Move on from yesterday. It's over and done and we all do that once in a while, too.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you <3 . They don't understand, i guess. To them its as simple as, "just don't eat it" . Its NOT that simple. I'm recovering from Bulimia right now, and almost every weekend we have junk food in the house. I can't deal. I'm really trying to get better, but it makes it so hard to have all these foods here. It's taunting me. I've already broken down today. And to some people it seems like such a trivial thing to cry over, it does to me too, its just FOOD right? One of the most basic human needs. Yet its making me crazy.

Just read this - and I take back my comment about the lemon oreos (truth be told, if I had a box of lemon oreos in my kitchen, I'd probably eat the entire thing). Anyway, just want to reiterate, be as kind to yourself as possible. I unfortunately have no advice regarding what to do about the food still being around. I live alone and mostly don't buy those things because I have no control over them when I do - and sometimes I lose control and do buy them knowing that I will binge. And other times the desire to binge is so strong, that I will binge on healthy foods - even broccoli... I say this as an adult who was diagnosed with an eating disorder as a teenager. Some people claim full recovery and I envy them. For me, the mentality is almost always there in some form. I lOVE food, but a cookie is never just a cookie. For me, focusing on healthy food and making it fun (ie. transforming recipes - creating healthy ones - but even then, the desire to binge is sometimes there), has been key, as has finding alternatives to foods that I love. I'm not sure if this message is helpful...but I wish you the best.