IBS very unpredictable

Options
Claire8614
Claire8614 Posts: 157 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hello

I have had a very long history of irritable bowel I think it started off due to exam stress at school and has just stayed with me for about ten years :-(

I used to have loose motions most morning but it's changed occasionally being loose and still have urgency but I now go days without needing to go.

do you think increasing my fibre could help going or taking protein shakes ,. It isn't partiality bothering me because I am not in pain but would like to have normal poos like most other people and get rid of this illness :-)

Thanks

Replies

• amazingbabydoll
    Options
    Metamucil does do the trick !
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    IBS has been part of my life for over 30 years. I have found it invaluable to keep a food/symptom diary. Every person with IBS has different triggers. For me it is oatmeal, flax and flax seed oil, raw or soft cooked eggs, and any food that may have quick rise yeast in it (pizza crust, dinner rolls, flat bread and a few others). And so many others. You will have to figure out what it is for you.
    When I do have symptoms I go back to my basic diet of cooked chicken without skin, plain rice, and water only to drink. I stick with that until symptoms subside for at least 24 hours and then I can start adding food that I know to be ok. I will sometimes test myself and add in what I thought to be the trigger to see if I have a recurrence.
    Since I have been working my diet this way my symptom days are down to maybe 1 or 2 a month. This has worked for me for the last 25 ish years.
    Good luck to you.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Find your food triggers. Look into elimination diets and fodmaps diet. Its helped me so so Much.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Fiber. Lots of fiber. It's magical.
  • kmarc33
    kmarc33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've also been struggling with IBS for about 35 years now. About 10 years ago my GI doctor recommended a web site: helpforibs.com/. I bought the book and I've been buying my fiber from them since then. Extremely helpful, informative message boards. And different fibers are made from different things, some help, some do not, and actually can make things worse. With other testing (for example, I am NOT lactose intolerant but I can't have dairy, it can trigger IBS) I've been dealing with issues once or twice a month rather than 2-3 times a week. This sounds like I'm advertising for them, and in a way I am, but my doctor and I agree that, at least for me, following their instructions has made a world of difference. They have a great IBS cheat sheet that has some good rules to follow, or at least be aware of.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Talk to your GP if you want to find out what's triggering this.

For me the issue was milk. I was slowly becoming lactose intolerant, now I also don't eat bread very often as I tend to get an upset stomach. Since I changed these to things I don't have any problems but I really miss my cheese >.< Sometimes I tell myself a little won't hurt then the next day or so I regret it. haha.

I also have Metamucil which is fibre and it does help. If you want something even cheaper you could buy some psyllium husks and mix it in your food.

Even though this is a few weeks old, I figured I would add this; Cabot brand cheeses are lactose free. My ex could eat an entire block in no time at all (granted, he was in great shape) and not have any issues with his lactose intolerance.

There's a bunch of lactose free cheeses that may be compatible if your body can't digest them...and they are delicious too. :)
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For me: no yoghurt (2 hours in pain and bloating begins), no very spicy herbs, not too much fat, not a lot of 'white' carbs, no sodas or anything with bubbles.