out of calories and I'm still hungry

Options
I am trying to this right, and am on a two day streak ;) ....I guess it will take practice, I have only just started this...and I messed up today by having too many calories at lunch and that left me none for now for a snack, and it sucks...don't judge, just venting ...I will notttt be doing this again

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It takes time! All of it, every step.

So, are you eating extra or holding firm?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It helps if you take some time looking for high volume/low cal foods to fill you up. Here is a just for example, my breakfast today.

1 large white tortilla shell
    Half cup of egg whites (= 4 eggs)
    1 cup spinach
    50g sliced mushrooms
    1 jalapeno pepper
    2 slices smoked breakfast ham
    30g marble cheese
    2tbs salsa

= 300 cals

Where as

3 slices of bacon = 300 cals ( oh no!)

The fillings in my wrap were so big that I couldn't even wrap it properly. When I tried to make the edges touch it split down the side. My boyfriend laughed his head off watching me try to eat it, lol.

The key is researching nutrient dense high volume low calorie foods that work as great "tummy fillers"
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Lettuce
    Spinach
    Celery
    Onions
    Etc

I ate breakfast about 4-5 hours ago and am only now considering a snack not even a second full meal.

This is the trick the eating less calories without really eating "less", you know? How to lose weight but never be hungry.

Oh and my calorie goal is 1410. This is how I'm able to do it with a smile in my face.

I hope that helps you on your journey! :smiley:
  • JasonPC2
    JasonPC2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You should try intermittent fasting.

I personally fast the first 6 hours of the day, when I'm the least hungry. Then I can eat reasonable amounts of food the rest of the day. Makes sticking to 1200 calories pretty easy.

Some people do it on a larger scale. Let's say Bob needs to eat 1500 calories, so he does 1000 calories one day and 2000 the next. Averages out the same and he likes it better.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre logging your day, it makes a huge difference.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I always end up being hungry on days I don't exercise. On days I do, I usually have a bigger calorie deficit without being very hungry at the end of the day.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Oh yes, prelogging is also key!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Yes this works best for me. Helps you to stick with your goal of course.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Learn to like pickles - 0 calories (tons of sodium though). There are many good snacks that have very low cals (fruits, etc).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    chgodvr wrote: »
    Learn to like pickles - 0 calories (tons of sodium though). There are many good snacks that have very low cals (fruits, etc).

Pickles don't actually have 0 calories, but they do have less than 1 calorie per serving.

• urpalmaryann00
    urpalmaryann00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome! thanks so much for the tips!
  • urpalmaryann00
    Options
    I have found that 100 calorie popcorn is very filling too!
  • urpalmaryann00
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It takes time! All of it, every step.

So, are you eating extra or holding firm?

I held firm, but it was not pleasant! lol
  • urpalmaryann00
    Options
    I will be having wraps and pickles too!
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I pre-log snacks for myself a lot of the time. If I get peckish and need something to eat, well, it's okay because I already made allowances for it. And if I don't want it, cool, I get to take it off and that's either more calories I don't eat or can add to a meal later. Super filling snack I do is Fiber One bars (I like lemon and coffee cake best) and drink a ton of water with it. It's high fiber obviously, and with the water it makes me feel like I ate more than I did.

Also they're just tasty so there's that.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    MsHarryWinston has some great advice - high volume low cal foods that are still nutritious. Pickles - you'll blow your sodium out of the water. Popcorn - a nice snack but lacks significant nutrition.
  • carryncoulson
    carryncoulson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I blew it my first three days - I logged even when I went over, like today...lol. It gets easier when you find out which things sustain you better. I had to decrease my weight loss goal per week though because I found the sudden reduction in what I could consume was too much of a jump for me. I have gradually reduced more as I`ve started to lose and gotten used to eating less.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you can use some of tomorrow's calories an even the next days if you want. Just keep in mind that your weekly deficit must be in line with your overall goals. So, tomorrow or the next day you will have to go lower than usual to make up for it. Our bodies do not operate on a 24 hour window. BUT, it is easier to track everything based on a 24 hour timetable so we use a day rather than a week or a a two week period.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you're out of calories, try going for a walk or some other sort of low-impact exercise to give yourself ~200 more calories. A can of non-cream soup is filling and should be about 200 calories, 100-calorie packs of popcorn as you mentioned, or cut up some veggies to snack on. Drink lots of water!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you have only just started, then don't be discouraged ! - it took me a couple of weeks until I was comfortable eating at my calorie target. That's because I was finding the right foods to eat but also my body was getting used to it. Within a couple of months I was looking back at what I used to eat, thinking 'how on earth did I eat that much in one day???'

Its very much a personal thing to find how to make those calories work for you.
    some people have lots of small meals, some have a few big meals.
    some people skip breakfast, some people eat a huge breakfast.
    some people save calories for late night snacking, some people stop eating at a certain time each day.
    some people avoid certain foods or food categories, some people have a little bit of everything.

It takes a bit of experimenting to find what works for you.
    Generally foods that are high in fiber are filling without too many calories (for me that means lots of vegetables...)
    As far as calories go - proteins and fats generally fill you up more than carbs.
    Drinking lots of water is also a good idea. It keeps you hydrated and our bodies sometimes confuse thirst and hunger.

Just stick with it and experiment - you'll find a way to make it work.

If you are really struggling then you can increase your daily calories till you get the hang of it. you can always lower them back again once you do.

Planning the day in advance is useful, too.

Also if you exercise then you get more calories to eat ;-)
  • Remember...it took longer than a day to put the weight on and it will take longer than a day to take it off. :smiley: