How much weight can you gain in a week?

Options
So, I know this is all totally my own fault. I've been living a very restricted diet at uni for months (900 - 1000 calories a day, even though i'm fairly active), and this week i've been home for easter and have been indulging quite a lot and not keeping track of calories.
However, I have still been exercising and even though I have eaten too much, a lot of my 'indulgences' have been chewing and spitting out food. Which is pretty disgusting, I know, but it stops me from binging totally, even though I acknowledge that with the large amount of chewing and spitting i've been doing, i've inevitably taken in some of the calories.

And now i'm freaking out because I've definitely put on weight. I'm too scared to weigh myself, but I'm convinced my jeans are tighter and my belly is bigger. The main sign is my breasts, though - i've lost a lot of weight from them recently and my bras have been getting very loose, but today I definitely fill out this bra fine, and they just 'feel' bigger.

I didn't think that just a week could lead to such a noticable gain, is this even possible, or is it all in my head? Or (more likely) have I just screwed up my metabolism so bad that now i'm paying the price?

(I'm a 20 year old female, 5"4, and a week ago was 109lb, if that's relevant)

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    A) the amount you've been eating isn't enough.
    B) it all depends on the surplus of calories you ate. intentionally gaining weight, I made it to 3 pounds in a week, about.
  • Smith3803
    Smith3803 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well it's time to get on the scale and face the facts this morning. I am sure most of it is in your head your body would not change that quickly. It may have messed with your metabolism but a few days back on track will get it on track too. I do have to say that I think you are eating way to few calories on a regular basis, so this increase of calories may actually help in the long run. It looks like you only have a few more pounds to lose so good for you, this little bump in the road may actually help you out.

P.S. stay away from the chewing and spitting out- it's not worth it and a little disgusting. Get a small plate and put what you want to actually eat on there and then track it , and enjoy. Adjust your eating the rest of the day or your exercise to make up for it. Don't trick your body and mind into thinking you had it , it's smarter than that and probably forced you to eat more.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    At 5'4 and a 109lbs realistically a few pounds gained here and there is not a dramatic cause for alarm. However, I do see that you've committed yourself to losing weight and I congradulate you on losing 66 lbs. You are an inspiration to those of us still on track. Cut yourself a break and relax. I know you are probably more worried about falling into bad habits than giving yourself the OK to splurdge once in awhile.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Don't panic, just go back to your diet and you will see those pounds slide away.
    If you try on a pair of jeans, then you'll see that they fit the same (unless you're bloated which can come with water retention). But they shouldn't be tighter on your legs as you haven't gained inches. Another idea is to measure yourself to prove that you haven't gained inches and it is just water weight..