Fitbit Sync. Am I stupid?

Options
2»

Replies

• McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Let it go. It'll be okay tomorrow! :)

You read my mind. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact it hasn't been on all day so there's some crazy pro rata thing going on.

I'm planning on going to the gym tomorrow so we sha see what happens after that. I suspect MFP will end up telling me I should have stayed at home with some cake.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    What can I say. You were all right!

I've used it since going to bed at 2 am and it seems to be working fine. I've recoded my exercise on MFP and the Fitbit app has sucked it in perfectly.

So my plan is not to add step based exercise to MFP and log everything else there.

Thank you all for your tips and pointers.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Just to throw something extra in the mix... MapMyFitness (Run, Ride, Walk). I've synced my FitBit and MapMyFitness with MFP. I don't ever add cardio exercise directly to MFP (I assume FitBit will take care of it).

If I specifically set out for a run or a cardio (fast) walk or bike ride, I use MapMyFitness, which logs to MFP, which then passes the information back to FitBit. I still wear my FitBit so I get the steps there, but the combo of MFP, MapMyFitness and FitBit automagically works out the calories without double booking.

The only exercise I directly log with MFP is non-step-related stuff like when I work out with my trainer. Then I log it as cardio but calisthenics or cross-training. Either way I lower the calorie estimates that MFP defaults to because they always seem high.

I never enter ANYTHING into the FitBit app (either on my phone or online). Yet, again automagically, FitBit knows I've had active minutes beyond what it can register itself.

Hope that helps!
  • McBoffin
    Options
    It does help. Thanks.

I did a bike ride and used map my ride to feed it into MFP. So I have map my ride linked to MFP and MFP a liked to Fitbit. Seems to be working like a charm.

My only problem now is to eat enough calories to cover the exercise. (Where did I put the JD?).
  • Christineclendaniel
    Options
    I have a different experience with my fitbit flex. I also have endomondo linked to mfp and I log my walks on it and let it post to mfp. It subtracts those calories burned from the fitbit automatic adjustment so there is no double logging of calories burned. I also manually log when I dance and it also subtracts those calories from the adjustment, so I never get double or triple logging.

Just what I do.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    Just one more stupid question ......

When do you guys and gals charge your fitbits? I'd hate to be robbed of the walking by round the house steps or not be able to track my sleep (sleep tracking is something I've never had an interest in - but now I can, it's an obsession).
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's good to charge during your inactive or sleep times. I charge when I'm napping on the couch during a lazy day/evening (a few steps to the bathroom during a movie aren't going to count for much) or when I'm too busy to leave my desk at work.

It's got a battery life of 5 days, give or take. It may drain slightly faster if you use a lot of buzzing alerts, but don't be afraid to use them! Those are great for waking me up in the morning and reminding me to take a lunch when I'm too sucked into the computer to notice the time.
  • McBoffin
    Options
    That's helpful. I'm rapidly becoming obsessed with my Fitbit. I'm guessing that's normal? :-/
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Totally. :-)
  • LauramegB
    LauramegB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to revive this post and tap into you people, because I've read a bazillion threads about this problem, with no clear answer.

Caveat: I've been using my Fitbit One for less than 24 hours. Maybe things will work themselves out after more use?

I understand the idea of logging non-step based activity into MFP, as it is synced with FB. And I know you must have the same time zones and log exact time of exercise for the apps to consolidate correctly. But, not one thread has told me whether when doing this, you still put your Fitbit in recording mode during this time?? I thought "no", and did the arc trainer today, noticed the FB was counting steps as I worked out, but added it into MFP and it did not adjust the FB steps for the time spent on the arc trainer. So I'm assuming I got double steps?

On that note, are machines like the arc trainer or elliptical considered step-based? And the arc trainer counted less calories than when I put 30 minutes of elliptical (closest thing to arc trainer) into MFP.

Ok one more, these things are synced, but often I log into MFP, and the steps are at 0, and then jump up to a step number from FB in a couple minutes. But I've never been able to find this "Fitbit calorie adjustment" line that I keep seeing in forums about the two! Sooo confused, help, and THANK YOU!