Fitness Trackers: Which is the best ... ? (And do you have a Basis?)

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit won't estimate calories well on your ankle, but people do sometimes use them that way. I did a test of a One on the torso (where it's supposed to be worn) vs. on an ankle, and the calorie burn was almost 3 times higher on the ankle, because it thinks your torso is generating all that motion its detecting. A wrist-worn model probably would do less over-estimating on the ankle than a torso one, though.
    judy11351 wrote: »
    That review WalkingAlong was for the basis band not the basis peak.

Does the Peak use a different technology? It looks like it's using the same optical HR monitoring the original Basis uses.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit won't estimate calories well on your ankle, but people do sometimes use them that way. I did a test of a One on the torso (where it's supposed to be worn) vs. on an ankle, and the calorie burn was almost 3 times higher on the ankle, because it thinks your torso is generating all that motion its detecting. A wrist-worn model probably would do less over-estimating on the ankle than a torso one, though.
    judy11351 wrote: »
    That review WalkingAlong was for the basis band not the basis peak.

Does the Peak use a different technology? It looks like it's using the same optical HR monitoring the original Basis uses.

The reviews I have read so far have indicated that, for whatever reason, the Peak is significantly more accurate than the previous Basis devices. This is the review that I read that seemed to give a good explanation: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2843515/basis-peak-review-this-is-the-band-to-buy-if-you-obsess-over-heart-rate-and-sleep-tracking.html

I am not endorsing the Peak, just pointing out, as the other poster, that the review of the older model is not applicable to this one.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It does sound like they changed it to actual, continuous HR monitoring. I did appreciate that Basis was very upfront about their original not being continuous like a HRM, when it came out.

That band has some nice features. It's much nicer looking than the original Basis and I love that you can put an off-the-rack watchband on it.

I'm usually not a 'visible fitness device' wearer but I've had a Fitbit Charge on the last couple weeks and the call notifications are something I miss when I don't wear it. The Basis and the MS Band will have those.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    In the reviews I've read (like Cnet) the HR function is crappy/inaccurate in ALL of them. Bummer. I might as well just use the one on here for that level of accuracy.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I figure they're all about the same so I went with the "fashionable" choice...waiting on my Shine to be delivered!
  • bio79
    bio79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the basis peak and I love the 24/7 hr monitor and that I can swim with it. It has all the sensors you can imagine and it works great so far.