compound exercises?

Options
besides squats and deadlifts what are other compound lifts? I'm looking to add them to my routine...
what substitute can i use for deadlifts? i'm scared of hurting my back

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pendlay Rows, Cleans...

Really, there is no honest substitute for deadlifts. To make up the work you would get in with deadlifts would require multiple exercises, and even then you're not going to get the full benefits of deadlifting. IMO, just watch a lot of videos on form...start really light (like even with just a PVC pipe or something) and work on form, form, form, form...then gradually start adding weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The major ones are:

squats
    deadlifts
    bench press
    bent-over row
    overhead press

Many of those have several variations, too.

While they aren't considered traditional core lifts, I also include
    chin-ups/pull-ups
    dips

There are more for sure, but those are the big ones.

Why not learn how to do a deadlift correctly, with proper weight? It's SUCH a good lift, would be a shame to exclude it for no reason.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i dnt have anyone to teach me proper form and cnt afford personal trainers that charge arm and a leg! i watch videos but when it comes to execution i struggle
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Start light, go slow, watch videos, and even video yourself. There is an MFP group called 'eat, train, progress' run by some very knowledgeable lifters who are happy to provide free form assessment and advice if you upload a video of yourself.

An alternative to regular straight bar deadlifts is the hex bar. It puts less strain on the lower back because you can effectively lift the weight through yourself because you can stand precisely between the plates.

CAP-Barbell-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Hex-Bar--1000-lb-capacity--Home-Gyms-Accessory_0_0.jpg

Many argue that it's not as effective as regular deads, and is perhaps a better assistance exercise for squats, but it's a lot better than not doing deadlifts at all.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can't substitute deadlifts. If you're worried about hurting your back then just learn to use proper form. Drive your hips forward and keep your back straight. Other compound lifts that you should include in your training are bench press, overhead press, barbell row, pull ups and, if you have someone who can teach you how, power cleans. Some other good movements are front squats, lunges, dumbbell rows, dumbbell presses, dumbbell bench presses and incline bench press
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you use correct form and don't automatically assume you can pick up a car you will not hurt yourself with deadlifts. If you are scared of starting with the bar there is nothing wrong with using dumbbells. Just remember though, if you have ever picked up a child you have probably lifted over 30 lbs. Those 5lb weights aren't going to do much.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Romanian deadlifts are also good for learning the hip hinge pattern.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you start light on your deads (like just the bar), you shouldn't hurt your back. You should be able to get a feel for the movement and work up to a higher weight over time.

Even though you can't afford a trainer, you may be able to ask one to watch your form on deads for 5 reps and let you know if you're doing it right. I know at my gym, I can ask any of the trainers for form help if they aren't busy and I don't have to pay for it.
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do the deads. If you go light and use good form, you are unlikely to hurt your back.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 64, have 3 herniated discs from an 8 year old injury and I do dead lifts. If your form is correct and you start light it will help your back not hurt it. Start with Romanian deads as they really strengthen the back muscles.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    i dnt have anyone to teach me proper form and cnt afford personal trainers that charge arm and a leg! i watch videos but when it comes to execution i struggle

How much are you willing to invest in your health and self?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The deadlift is a good exercise if you can learn it and if you have a Trap Bar available to you (as pictured above) then that's another good route if you're concerned about your back. However at the same time it also depends on your training / fitness goals, you don't have to deadlift unless you plan on competing in CrossFit or Power Lifting.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks i'll try them next time i go to gym. I want to look good without clothes, firm up my butt and increase strength....I'm eating at 20% deficit and lifting 5-8rep range
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Is your back already bad/injured?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Not compound, but I've seen people at my gym train lower back on the lat pulldown station. Seated, pull the cable tight and lay down backwards.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    cherriegh wrote: »
    Thanks i'll try them next time i go to gym. I want to look good without clothes, firm up my butt and increase strength....I'm eating at 20% deficit and lifting 5-8rep range

If you start doing a good strength-training program utilizing compound lifts you may consider dropping back to a 10% calorie deficit after a while to help compensate for the energy requirements, otherwise you may not recover well.