Diet and reward

Options
OK, so you've done well, eaten strictly and healthily for lets say a Month. You've hit your short term targets, although not your ultimate goal. Even MFP is proud of you, everything's going well.

Then just for a change you want a burger or a Chinese meal or even a pizza. You know MFP is going to give you the dreaded red number.

How bad is it actually if you do that? Will it have any effect? or will it just be a small bump in the road as long as you carry on as usual the following day.

Just curious, I really fancy a Chinese :)

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's just a small bump in the road if you get back on track the next day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's one day, enjoy yourself. Personally, I eat what I want within my calorie goals so I don't feel the need to go over.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    make it fit your day, if not, it's only 1 day, not going to reset everything.
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it and don't feel guilty! It's even good for your metabolism to change it up a bit. Just make sure to get right back on the wagon afterward !
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »

Then I recommend Madam Tsing's massage parlor in Hong Kong.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, log it and get back on track the next day. My take is, if this is going to be a way of life, we have to figure out how to live it up a little, too.

Here's an article I just read about Thanksgiving strategy and I like it:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/11/whats-a-weight-neutral-holiday-why-you-should-aim-for-one/
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This should be a lifestyle change, not a diet for x amount of time. If you want Chinese food then eat it and enjoy it. It will not set you back.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat at or just under MFP's calorie limit Mon-Thurs. Often, about once a weekend (Fri-Sun) there is a day when I am not tracking because it's a potluck or we're eating out or bar crawl or whatever. I don't binge, but I enjoy myself. I eyeball portion sizes and try to only do it for one meal (as opposed to "Well, I screwed up for lunch. I may as well have a massive dinner too!"). I've steadily lost weight. For me, it's about developing a pattern: make good choices during the week and have one mildly excessive meal during the weekend. That's how I want to live the rest of my life. I gained weight in the first place because I was eating WAY too much at work and then drinking 2 nights a week.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've actually had more success with having one day that is over per week, I think it fools my body and keeps it off balance.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Just eat Chinese! It's easier if you think of this as a lifestyle change instead of some punishing diet. Like, I just had steak quesadillas for lunch.
    I eat pizza and hot wings and burgers. And I don't even have to go over my calories to do it.
    The foods aren't "bad" or a "cheat" or "unhealthy". Just figure out what you want to eat and then work it into your day. And if you go over that's FINE. It's one day out of the rest of your LIFE. Enjoy it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    OK, so you've done well, eaten strictly and healthily for lets say a Month. You've hit your short term targets, although not your ultimate goal. Even MFP is proud of you, everything's going well.

Then just for a change you want a burger or a Chinese meal or even a pizza. You know MFP is going to give you the dreaded red number.

How bad is it actually if you do that? Will it have any effect? or will it just be a small bump in the road as long as you carry on as usual the following day.

One day? Almost none. How much does that one day happen.

Thing is, I have a questions. Is it particular foods you're thinking about, or is it wanting to eat those foods without thinking of the final calorie count.

I was actually craving McDonald's, of all things, today.

I got Happy Meal - 410 calories. That's within the normal tolerances for normal lunch for me, calorie-wise. So, for me this neither a question nor an issue. I'm not going over for calories today.

If what you really want is to eat a meal without thinking about the calories, that's something else entirely. Once isn't going to mean anything. But how OFTEN you do that matters a great deal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've always managed to mostly incorporate the food I wanted in my calories. Think of what kind of Chinese food you want, and just order that dish... or one or two slices of pizza. Hamburgers are pretty easy to fit IMO as long as you don't go nuts on the toppings (or you can buy leaner beef and make your own).
  • Juliska3
    Options
    Depends. A lifestyle change is what's going to have you arrive at your goals. I don't see unhealthy food choices as a 'reward '. I see them as unhealthy food choices today and unhealthy tomorrow. When is it good to eat pizza with toppings...never. Especially if you are not yet at a healthy weight.

Will it hurt you physically...no. It just takes away some of your self satisfaction and well earned esteem.

Healthy foods are not 'second best'. Hopefully as you become healthier you will get a high off of fitness and 'the good stuff'. A proud self discipline sets in. Call it 'smug' but I like to be able to say that I haven't eaten a cookie in a decade and have no desire to. Right now I'm craving that Mango in my fruit basket.
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    (*)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Why on earth would you lose self esteem for having a chinese? Awful way of looking at things. Its because people try and diet with too much pressure instead of viewing it as a lifestyle change , then they dont know when to relax and end up quitting or binging. Theres a time and a place for everything. Who wants to go a decade without eating some fast food? not me. Pointless demonising food. Eat it , enjoy it, log it and move on.

Dont start with cheat days though because the psychology and justification for those is all a bit messed up imo.

TBF I agree with Mr M27 on his point. Who wants to be smug about their food choices?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, i have no objection to eating chinese or other asian food whilst dieting. Not an every day thing but occasionally its fine. As for pizza well, i probably wouldn't go there when in weightloss mode except on a day you feel strong and not particularly hungry so that you can stop at one piece. I think i've had 2 small pieces of home made pizza all year.

Anyway if you have a habit of overeating these foods, you could be opening the door to end of trouble.

If you want them as part of your regular diet long into the future, you will have to figure out a strategy whereby that's possible and acceptable. My issue is with sweet foods. I have very clear rules and it works out that i eat these foods about once a month or less. I think that is an appropriate regularity for foods that you tend to overeat and cause you weight gain.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't deprive yourself from things, otherwise you'll go crazy and probably binge. Fit 'cheat foods' into your calories. If you want that slice of chocolate cake, coordinate a certain amount of calories for it... go exercise for it.

Don't restrict yourself too much, it's detrimental.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Juliska3 wrote: »
    Depends. A lifestyle change is what's going to have you arrive at your goals. I don't see unhealthy food choices as a 'reward '. I see them as unhealthy food choices today and unhealthy tomorrow. When is it good to eat pizza with toppings...never. Especially if you are not yet at a healthy weight.

Will it hurt you physically...no. It just takes away some of your self satisfaction and well earned esteem.

Healthy foods are not 'second best'. Hopefully as you become healthier you will get a high off of fitness and 'the good stuff'. A proud self discipline sets in. Call it 'smug' but I like to be able to say that I haven't eaten a cookie in a decade and have no desire to. Right now I'm craving that Mango in my fruit basket.

As someone who's lost 50+ pounds in ten months and has enjoyed pizza nearly once a week, it is good. Congratulations on having the discipline to avoid treats; I'll keep eating them and keep losing.