Weight and frame size.... BMI ideal weight??

Options
ebhrivera193
ebhrivera193 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
gvr0u5z91af2.jpg
What is ideal bodyweight and how does your frame size affect it?
I've been told enough times that I look rather lean for my current weight of 220lbs. However....the BMI indicates I'm obese. My frame is medium sized and the weight I'm carrying is largely just muscle. Therefore...should I adjust my goal weight loss of 70lbs to perhaps 50lbs to compensate my frame size

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    You would have to be 6 feet 7 inches tall for 220 lbs. to be a healthy weight. This would give you a healthy BMI of 24.8. How tall are you?
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I am very curious to hear the answer. I am 5'4" and around 150 lbs. I look smaller than a friend who weighs less, and I wear a size 6 and Small. Yet according to the body fat calculator, I am obese. Trying to whittle down to 130....good luck to you! ;-)
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I am very curious to hear the answer. I am 5'4" and around 150 lbs. I look smaller than a friend who weighs less, and I wear a size 6 and Small. Yet according to the body fat calculator, I am obese. Trying to whittle down to 130....good luck to you! ;-)

What BMI chart are you looking at that says 150lbs at 5'4" is obese? It's just barely overweight.
    I'm 5'6 and 160lbs and the highest healthy weight for my height is 155 lbs. Being I have a small frame, I look best between 125 and 135 lbs.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    I don't remember the site at all, but I had to take measurements of my wrist, waist, etc....and the result shocked me.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sometimes for some people the BMI calc is not going to be accurate, but that's obviously not the norm. In those instances it's likely best to speak to your doctor to ensure that you are healthy.

My husband looks good and healthy at 190 pounds, but because he's 5'7" the BMI calc tells him 159 pounds is at the high end of the normal range. He wasn't even below 160 when he went into the Navy at 18. He's one of the few people who the BMI calc will never be right for, but that's one of the downsides to having 42" shoulders (that and finding suit jackets and shirts is a pain in the rear).
  • ebhrivera193
    ebhrivera193 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im not tall at all....im actually rather short at only 5'7.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think it's better to go by measurements, BMI doesn't differentiate between muscle and fat. A man at 5' 11" and weighing 215 is going be classified as obese even if he only has 8% body fat.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I hate BMI charts. I am large framed, almost 5'6", and weigh 141 currently. I am in normal range but I feel I look best at 125-130. BMI charts tell me I am on the heavier side of things.
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've got to say that the chart in this thread doesn't seem right either. Jerry Rice, at his peak is 6'2" and 200 pounds. He wasn't "large frame" either. My ex was 6'4" and scrawny at 215.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    audrast wrote: »
    I've got to say that the chart in this thread doesn't seem right either. Jerry Rice, at his peak is 6'2" and 200 pounds. He wasn't "large frame" either. My ex was 6'4" and scrawny at 215.

Agree-That chart and BMI in general are B.S.--That chart doesn't know if I have 164lb.s of lean mass(I do) or if its 164lbs of fat.--To me,BMI is meaningless
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and I don't have big hips or wide shoulders or anything like that, I am just unusually muscular for a woman and I've always hovered in the 140s with my bodyfat 20-22% (size 6 in jeans)...so, pretty thin, but quite muscular.

Trying to get back to that now :)