Options
1235»

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I have never done the 1200 cal thing. Right now I'm eating 1600/day + exercise calories, which is up to 2000-2200 cal/day. I'm 5'9" and about 201 lbs. This week I've lost 2 lbs already, and my official weigh-in isn't until tomorrow. If I tried to eat only 1200, I know I would fail. I might even pass out. It has happened to me before d/t low blood sugar.

Yes you are eating 1600 per day and that is right for you.

But how is it relevant to everyone else?

You are 5 ft 9 in and starting at 201 lb - of course you will have a higher calorie allowance than someone 9 in or so shorter and 50 lb or so less starting weight.

The OP's profile says she is 18 years old. Let's say she is 5'0" and 150 lbs, like you suggested. If she only does light exercise 3 x/wk, her TDEE is 1902-20%=1522 cal/day. Still not 1200.

No I didn't suggest they were OP's stats - I am not able to check profiles on iPad - I pointed out that anyone shorter and lighter than you would have lower allowance - 9 in shorter and 50lb lighter seemed very possible but by 'or so' I meant I was approximating a likely scenario..
    I just don't get why you posted about your own calorie allowance at all - it had no relevance to thread.

MY POINT, since I seem to have to explain it, is that 1200 calories for any 18 year old is pretty ridiculous.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    fatcity66, any calculator will give you numbers that back up what you are saying. The fact is, that these are general guidelines. I am pretty sure that no one knows the history of this OP as well as she does. To suggest that this number is correct for her without knowing anything about her doesn't seem too helpful. People should not dictate what is right, or wrong, for another person without knowing anything other than weight, gender, age and height. It is not your call. Everyone is different. Everyone should seek professional advice, whether it be a physician, nutritionist, dietician, or anyone who may be qualified to access their individual goals and health. Basic guidelines are helpful, but we have to adjust to what is right for us as individuals. Everyone is different.

Yes, all calculators are estimates. Unfortunately, that's the only thing most people have to go off of. I never suggested that everyone eat the same amount of calories, did I? I gave some examples, just to show that eating 1200 calories is pretty low, even if you're not as tall or weigh as much as I do. And, as I noted, the 1600 calories I mentioned was the bare minimum I eat. If I exercise, it's much more. The same goes for anyone else-the more active they are, the more they can eat.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    I have never done the 1200 cal thing. Right now I'm eating 1600/day + exercise calories, which is up to 2000-2200 cal/day. I'm 5'9" and about 201 lbs. This week I've lost 2 lbs already, and my official weigh-in isn't until tomorrow. If I tried to eat only 1200, I know I would fail. I might even pass out. It has happened to me before d/t low blood sugar.

You are 5 ft 9 in and starting at 201 lb - of course you will have a higher calorie allowance than someone 9 in or so shorter and 50 lb or so less starting weight.

The OP's profile says she is 18 years old. Let's say she is 5'0" and 150 lbs, like you suggested. If she only does light exercise 3 x/wk, her TDEE is 1902-20%=1522 cal/day. Still not 1200.

No I didn't suggest they were OP's stats - I am not able to check profiles on iPad - I pointed out that anyone shorter and lighter than you would have lower allowance - 9 in shorter and 50lb lighter seemed very possible but by 'or so' I meant I was approximating a likely scenario..
    I just don't get why you posted about your own calorie allowance at all - it had no relevance to thread.

So, where's your helpful, relevant posts??
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

MY POINT, since I seem to have to explain it, is that 1200 calories for any 18 year old is pretty ridiculous.
    Why? Because of her age? There's not an authority anywhere who says that, not that I've ever seen. And trust me, I've asked.

• Juliska3
    Options
    I'm an RN and few doctors are going to make blanket statements. She would want your medical and family history before recommending any specific diet or calorie total.

In general if we had a healthy 18 year old come in and she was active and an ideal weight, we wouldn't care if she was eating 1200 or 3800 calories. 'Healthy' meaning after examining her and a conversation on her lifestyle. 18 year olds can and do get pregnant. If she was healthy but some low calorie count then I'd want her to come back and see us for any reason if she wanted to talk. Let her know she had a place to get answers without judging.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

So, where's your helpful, relevant posts??

Well I didn't post my own stats and calorie allowance as if it had some relevance to somebody of completely different stats. ;)
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1200 cal is to low for some people, but for some it is. It also has a lot to do with what you eating 1200 cal worth of hamburger helper is like nothing and I would be starving! But 1200 cal of say chicken/ veggies is a whole lot of food!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree with the mistress. :D