Long days, rotating shifts, etc.

Options
I'm actually posting this to get the advice/insight from people based on their experiences.

Are there any people here who alternate between first, second, and third shifts? I generally work second shift, but there are days when I start earlier (say, 9-10am) and there are days when I work into the third shift (as late as 9:15pm as my department closes at 9). It changes from day to day.

What about people who work jobs that require working late or coming in early with no notice? How do you cope with that? I'm not just talking about people who work over 8 hour shifts. I'm generally scheduled for 5-6 hour shifts, but end up working 7-10 hour shifts most days. I work my scheduled hours (not coming in early or leaving late) once every 2-3 weeks.

And are there any people here who deal with one or both of these issues in combination with a job that requires you to be on your feet for an extensive period of time and/or one that doesn't allow you to get much of a break- whether you don't get breaks at all, or your break is rushed/prone to interruption. Perhaps someone who works in the medical field or a server at a restaurant?

Just wondering how you deal with these kinds of situations. I feel like a lot of advice given on weight loss sites (like scheduling meals or eating 6 small meals a day) are better for people who work a typical 9-5 office job, are unemployed, or otherwise have a set schedule with set breaks, etc. Unfortunately, the real world doesn't work that way. People tell me to eat smaller meals or snack between meals. Anybody else unable to follow some of the typical diet advice due to work?

Replies

• jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My typical work day is a twelve to thirteen hour shift, with a one hour commute on each end. I rotate nights, days and weekends and I work 3-4 shifts per week (but I also have occasional stretches off of up to a week depending on how I cluster my shifts). I'm a nurse at a super-busy pediatric hospital so breaks are never guaranteed!

I make a concerted effort to eat well on the days I'm working as I rarely (more like never) am able to squeeze in a workout on days I work. I plan my meals in advance of starting a stretch of shifts and make sure I have all the ingredients to save time (and reduce the chance I'll be lazy and order pizza). I try to pack easy to eat food that I can scarf down in a few minutes if necessary (like pre-measured trail mix, individually wrapped pieces of cheese, nuts, homemade protein cookies etc) as well as a full meal in case I have a chance to sit for ten minutes!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan, pre-log and pack a cooler...if it is not in that cooler, it does not cross my lips.
    I work 24 hour shifts as a paramedic and rarely get breaks and frequently work over. If I can't pre-plan, pre-log, then I have a bag in my freezer that I toss in the cooler. It has approximately a days worth of food, and I just add whatever "fresh" I have available in the fridge along with nuts and a couple protein shakes to make it through the day. I try to pack things that can be eaten on the go.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I often sleep during the day.
    I eat two meals -- no snacks.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Plan, pack a cooler, and do things that can be eaten on the run. I also have dietary restrictions, so I will do things like lettuce wraps, nuts, cut up veggies and guacamole packs (or dressings), fruits, celery and nut butter, cheese, rolled up pepperoni and provolone dipped in sauce, veggies to scoop up chicken or egg salad, or deviled eggs. I have no problem eating things like cold chicken or other meats and some raw cut up vegetables. If you have ANY break, freeze leftovers or homemade soups in containers and grab one of those for your major break time. If I work longer shifts, I plan to have 4 meals. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner (at work), and Dinner (at home). I work different shifts a lot of times, varying from 1pm-9pm, to overnight shifts, to 11am-whenever I get out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day and get good at preplanning your meals. On your day's off, you can prepare for the week by precooking things you just need to grab and go.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the oppposite of the two meals, no snacks. I mostly pick out the foods I am going to eat for the day in terms of how they fit my my macros and calories and then I just sort of pick at those foods all day.

I am a bartender and I work some nights and some days (mostly nights). I work 9 hour shifts most of the time, and I am the only one there so I don't get a break. I usually try to eat my main meal (which would usually be sort of small--a piece of meat and some veggies or salad) before I go to work at night. While I am there, customers give me a hard time about what I am eating if I am eating anything remotely palatable in front of them so I try to stick to protein bars, protein drinks, nuts, carrots, string cheese, cut up apples, etc. (healthy finger foods). I just account for those in my calories and then nibble on them throughout my shift as time permits. Then I eat before bed. Usually it's a small amount of leftovers or yogurt, some veggies, cottage cheese, etc...just something with some protein to get me through the night. During a day shift, I eat breakfast (banana and Greek yogurt, usually) and a normal dinner with the same eating plan for my shift (healthy finger foods that I nibble on all day).
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work 12-16 hr shifts and they're always hectic . On my feet and the only time I get to sit down is during my 30 min lunch break and I rarely sit for it. I bring everything with me .
    I bring my yogurt, protein shakes and what my coworkers call my "bird food". Protein bars and fresh coconut etc
    If a nurse calls out and I have to cover longer, then I have these things to kinda hold me off for dinner. If I work 7 am until 11 pm ..I just wait until the next day to eat a regular dinner/supper because eating that late never works for me.

sometimes awesome patient's families bring us fruits and veggies. Gotta love the South .
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, with my job, I rarely get a chance to eat anything if I don't get a break. On occasion, I may be able to manage a Larabar or something like that on a quick 5 minute restroom break, but it all depends on the day. Today, I was supposed to get 2 15 minute breaks and a lunch. I had a Naked Juice and some Chick Pea snacks on my first break since I was planning on eating my leftover pizza on my lunch.

I never took my 30 minute lunch/dinner break, so I ended up eating dinner at 9:30 (half an hour after I was supposed to get off). It was on company time because I am entitled to those breaks based on the union, and I get paid for the 15 minute breaks (I didn't bother with the lunch break).
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So ftsolk, that still means if you packed grab and go food ahead you could manage it. For example like I said lunch meat and cheese wrapped up in lettuce and a favorite condiment (can be rolled up in saran wrap ahead) Deviled eggs packed in a container to wolf down, fruits nuts seeds...its Do- ABLE. I work a very demanding job as well and at worst I can manage with planning. It is all YOU. How invested are you into a better life? That is what you have to determine.